Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, this is my first post here but it looks like a great community!

The topic of my post is pretty self explanitory...if I just wanted to get the basic data off my PS2 game discs and start tinkering around with PS2 emulators, what is the best way of doing that for forward compatibility?

I am just getting my feet wet in the world of emulators and I would like to digitally archive my games so I can get a handful of the 62 PS2 games that I don't play as much anymore out of my dorm room. They don't have to be playable right off the bat as I am not ready to learn 'patching' skills and all that good stuff. However, my roommate is looking to use our shelfspace for something more practical though...like, um, books. :???:

Anyway, I have seen a few guides that describe the ripping -> patching process, but I wanted to be sure of future potential before I go through all the effort.

Thanks for reading my long post! :innocent:

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,728 Posts
As far as I know, just making an image using Alcohol 120% or something will be fine. AFAIK there's no modification needed, and in fact, it's much better when that's not needed.

In the case of DreamCast emulation, sadly, the original GD-ROM discs can't be read on PC and few can rip them, so most people have to play "butchered backups".

PS2 though, are regular CD's and DVD's. They can just be ripped as they are.
With 62 games though, that will fill up your HD ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Cool guys, thanks for the confirmation. I was pretty sure that would work but I didn't want to go thru all the effort just for it to be of no avail.

Yeah, 62 games is alot of space but I just plan on putting a few of my faves on my main HDD to play around with and then use an external HDD to USB shell and a few random HDDs that I have collected over time to back up the rest of them. :)

·
Interplay sucks!
1,219 Posts
If you don't already know this, I suggest buying a hdloader. That way you can play your backup games straight from the harddrive ;)

You need:

- A Fat PS2 (not the slim one)
- HDLoader/HDAdvance
- Network Adapter
- Hard Drive

But if you have the slim PS2 then you're out of luck tho (they have similar programs like that for the slim line but it sucks)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I have heard of the HD Loader program. Luckily I still have my 1st PS2 (it was my second...and slim one that got misplaced, go fig :rolleyes: ) However, I think it is nearing the end of its lifespan as I got it right when it 1st came out. Disc read errors are becoming more and more common on that one.

Trying to get these games working with an emu might be sort of fun anyway. Which does lead me to another question: I see the stickies that say "No PS2 emulators out right now will play commercial games."

Does that mean that the games need patching to work, they won't play an original game on a PC DVD drive, or that there is absolutely no way to play through any game whatsoever?

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
GeneralChaos said:
I have heard of the HD Loader program. Luckily I still have my 1st PS2 (it was my second...and slim one that got misplaced, go fig :rolleyes: ) However, I think it is nearing the end of its lifespan as I got it right when it 1st came out. Disc read errors are becoming more and more common on that one.

Trying to get these games working with an emu might be sort of fun anyway. Which does lead me to another question: I see the stickies that say "No PS2 emulators out right now will play commercial games."

Does that mean that the games need patching to work, they won't play an original game on a PC DVD drive, or that there is absolutely no way to play through any game whatsoever?
correct games dont need patches to work on pcsx2, as there is no copy protection on a pc like the ps2, you dont need it :)

Have you tried looking for some guides on altering your laser? it can help reduce the read errors quite a bit, i havent got a link myself, but im sure somebody has mentioned it somewhere, and it does work, i did it on my friends and it started playing games again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lens alteration article

Howaboutthat! I had no idea this could be done! After a quick Google search (<3 Google) I found many websites that have this same guide on it. I will post it here for those with future ambitions:

http://www.tombraidercheats.addr.com/wwwboard/messages/2203.html

That is just a text based article...I didn't bother to find one with pictures. I am going to give it a shot when I get some lubricant that I am confident with. Thanks for the tip refraction :thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Tried using WinISO the other night and had few successes. Going to try DVD Decryptor. I just want to be absolutely certain I don't lose any data in the rip; a perfect rip if you will. I fathom it is easier to take files out of a rip than put missing files back in :)

UPDATE:
It seems DVD Decrypter works quite well. I think I am going to stick with this program for my PS2 ripping needs unless anyone has any knowledge that I should know. Which leads me to a NEW question!!! :eyemove:

Dynasty Warriors 2 is in CDROM format (with the whole purple data side deal). I am assuming the CDROM releases are much easier to rip as they don't have the DSS(?) encryption, but is there any proprietary PS2 copy protection that changed between CD and DVD games?

I only ask because DVD Decrypter will not rip CD's. Silly program! :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.