Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently running a mediocre dual core system @ 3.3ghz.

I can run many ps2 games at decent speed so long as they are on the compatibility list for PCSX2.

I am an RPG fanatic, I play them untill I beat them with the best gear/levels/magic i can possibly find, and then I get bored.
I have been a long time fan of 16-bit RPGs because of the way the story seems to be better than their new-age graphics ridden counterparts.
Now i am in search of a PS2 RPG, and I would like your input for your favorites so that I can get a few ideas of where to look next.

I have tried:
FFX (liked it, I got half-way through, my savestate was corrupted and I just gave up because I have no desire to replay it)
^^^ not looking for games like this that offer (me personally) no replayability.

The game is just to linear, not enough freedom.

Kingdom Hearts 2 (couldnt get it to run at a manageable speed (45fps just wasnt cutting it for me, the audio was all out of synch, and it seemed to be pretty buggy with pcsx2.)

Please give me your ideas!

P.S. below is my system specs. I dont*** need ideas on how to make it run faster, I have exhausted every imaginable option and have come to the conclusion that my processor speed is the bottleneck for PS2 EMU. I just need RPG Ideas.

So what is your favorite PS2 RPG??
Does it run well on PCSX2?
If it runs well, and you like the game, what is your system specs (namely CPU speed, the rest makes little difference)

(system specs, just quick FYI in case you're wondering)

athlon x2 5400+ BE @ 3.3ghz
radeon HD4850
DFI Lanparty DK 790GX
4 gigs Kingston HyperX ddr2 1066 @ 1100 5/4/5/10

·
Registered
251 Posts
you can try disgaea, it's a tactical rpg with good humor in the story, works flawlessly in pcsx2.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Tales of rebirth
tales of symphonia
tales of legendia
tales of destiny remake
tales of destiny 2
tales of rebirth
tales of abyss
xenosaga episode 1
shadow heart
shadow heart 2
mana khemia
all are fully playable and damn great rpg

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I am about half-way through this list.

I have a bad habit of judging games based on screenshots, and I will go back through them a few times to re-judge. But i'd like to know your favorite from those that you mentioned.

Tales of ~~~~ games seem to be excellent, the battle system is great. but the random encounters with enemies is BLEH. wayyyy to many

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
funny that the latest release and betas run kingdom hearts 1 and 2 pretty much perfect from beginning to end and you lost your save state because you cant bother to use memory cards in case they stop working... Ive also finished tales of abyss on the recent betas... also odin sphere works very well and fast

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far the games i see that look the most promising are:

Star Ocean 3,
Tales of ~~~ (although i saw Destiny and Destiny 2 on PSX, not PS2. maybe im mistaken i dont know. i didnt investigate any further)
Xenosaga

But to be fair, i am judging this based on looks alone. I am unable to play them of course *evil grin* untill i buy a copy.. *cough*

AHEM.
Im sure i can buy a copy tonight from ... a store.... somewhere.........

I will check back periodically to see if anyone else has any more suggestions, and thank you all for contributing =)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Tales of rebirth
tales of symphonia
tales of legendia
tales of destiny remake
tales of destiny 2
tales of rebirth
tales of abyss
xenosaga episode 1
shadow heart
shadow heart 2
mana khemia
all are fully playable and damn great rpg
Mana Khemia crashes on world map, '-' You can play the frists 30min, before you need leave the school, and crash the game.

·
The Master of Disguise
811 Posts
One of the RPGs I like the most for PS2 is Valkyrie Profile 2, the playability in pcsx2 is horrible though, no matter what settings u use, u will always get 30fps tops while walking around, battles are full speed, the game is also very buggy as of now.

If u intend to play the game, it's better to do it on ur PS2 for the moment.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Ungh oh, somebody is about to.

Final Fantasy X is really linear, but it does gain more replayability near the end. That considered, among other things, I'd recommend it.

Past that, I haven't tried many RPGs on the Playstation2. Older (j)RPGs (Playstation and Super Nintendo, namely) are what I like.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Mana Khemia crashes on world map, '-' You can play the frists 30min, before you need leave the school, and crash the game.
the latest beta fix that.whatever rpg u choose dont forget to play xenosaga for it freaking great story.very emotional game.u should avoid ffxii at all cost!

·
Registered
7 Posts
the latest beta fix that.whatever rpg u choose dont forget to play xenosaga for it freaking great story.very emotional game.u should avoid ffxii at all cost!
Well, I have the last open beta r1190(15/may), and doesn't work yet... x_x
Do you mean the latest version of closed beta? '-'

Oh Yeah, play Persona 3 FES, it's a VERY good game, one of the bests.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
I love the "Tales" series, but the only was in english is the Abyss one, the others are in japanese, or I am wrong?

My native lenguage is spanish, and I really consider myself a good translator of the english one.....but I'm 100% clueless about japanese lenguaje. DAMN!! :(

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.