• IBM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now I'm considering getting a completely new PC. I don't want to build my own, I'd screw it up and getting the products would be a huge hassle. I also don't want to get one built by a local PC store, because they'd charge exorbitant amounts of money for labor. This means I'll have to get it from a big OEM co. like HP or Dell. Which do you guys think is the best? Alienware, Falcon, etc. are all way too expensive for me.

Another thing I just thought of: know any OEMs that make PCs with AMD CPUs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
HP seems to do a pretty good job lately, and they have an extensive list of PCs with an AMD processor (Dell, on the other hand, has a grand total of 0). Avoid Compaq as if life itself depended on it (it does). I have no experience with IBM, so I won't comment on that.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Im using HP Vectras in school, and I've found it to be quite ok for my needs.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
All I can say is.. Stear away from Compaq.. They suck.. No matter what you do, no matter which computer company you buy from, make sure it's not Compaq.. I don't want to tell you the whole story but it involved money, lies, and crappy customer service.. Now I build my own computer systems and quite glad I do it..

And gateway also sucks.. But not as much as Compaq!..:shout: :rockets: :mg: :laser: :fingers: :dead:

I think alienware is great.. Their systems look freaken awesome.. They have the coolest computer cases.. I would probably consider them if I wanted to buy from an OEM.. I emailed them about just buying one of their cases not the whole computer..

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
I agree. Compaq sucks. Avoid it. My school have dozens of HP pcs and they all work quite well. My school uses HP computers for some years and they never had problems. I think it would be a good choice. I never used a Dell computer, so I can't tell you how good it is.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Dells tend to be pretty good, the problem is they are all Intel processors and have really high prices. If Asfaloth wanted something like that, he might as well go with Alienware.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Compaq seems to be a great company, but that's all. It only SEEMS to be. At work I use Dells. They're pretty nice and fast, and get very well into any task. A friend of mine had an Aptiva (from IBM - very old!). At the time of release (I think it was at the end of 1995), the computer was very good and reliable. Right now I can't comment on IBM as I don't know how they're doing nowadays. I think IBM is tending more to servers and interprises lately... I cannot say anything about HP as I have never tried...

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
In my job, we have three Dells (500MHz Celery, 128MB RAM) and three HPs (800MHz PIIIs, 128MB RAM). All else is basically the same. Which run faster? The Dells. 66% faster! Hmmm . . .

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the responses, all ;) Here's my current situation: I have a HP Celeron 500 MHz with a 10 gig HD and 128 MB RAM. It's given me a ton of problems, or maybe that's just Win98. OK, stupid comment, Win98 has given me a ton of problems. But still, HP hasn't made a very good impression, so I'd like to try a new OEM.

> Dells tend to be pretty good, the problem is they are all Intel processors and have really high prices. If Asfaloth wanted something like that, he might as well go with Alienware.

Erm... negative. Check this out:

Dell Dimension 8200 Series
P4 @ 1.7 GHz, NetBurst Architecture
Intel 850-based mobo
128 MB RDRAM
64 MB GeForce2 MX w/ TV out
40 GB Ultra ATA/100
WinXP Home Edition
SB Live!
4 PCI, 1 4X AGP Slots
2 5.25/3.5 bays

All that for $890. Not bad, if you ask me. Alienware, on the other hand, has this for $1000 dollars, their cheapest system. Celeron 800 MHz, 128 MB SDRAM for $1k? I don't think so. Basically, Alienware is out of the picture - they make screamin' PCs, but for like $3k.

So in the end it comes down to HP vs. Dell. It seems that Dell has much better craftsmanship and quality of parts than HP, so I guess I'll go with that. Thanks for the advice!

Now, more questions! Woohoo! Which is better...

256 MB SDRAM or 128 MB RDRAM?

GeForce2 32 MB AGP or GeForce 2 MX/400 64 MB PCI?

Again, thanks for the tips everyone!

[edit] just checked the HP website... their cheapest AMD-based PC is $1150. Scratch that idea. Now it's definitely Dell.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Asfaloth
All that for $890.

Things are definately different here in Brazil. Dell computers here are VERY expensive.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon

Things are definately different here in Brazil. Dell computers here are VERY expensive.
Indeed. I've seen one for about R$7000,00 (which would be around US$2692.00). The comp was a P4 2GHz with 326 SDRAM and 100GB (yes, 100GB!!) of hard disk. Still, very expensive for any common brazilian.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
256 MB SDRAM or 128 MB RDRAM?

GeForce2 32 MB AGP or GeForce 2 MX/400 64 MB PCI?
1. go with 512MB SDRAM...256MB is just enough these days.

2. go with a Geforce2 GTS or better on that spec of a computer. the MX's are seriously castrated...the feature set is there, but not the horse power. MX's are better suited for a fast Celeron or Duron processor. As a general rule of thumb keep a value graphic card with a value processor ;)

3. try and go with an AMD althlon XP, they currently outperform the pentium 4's...and they are cheaper too ;) (this is comming from an old intel fanboy too)

4. screw dell...a real gamer builds his own computer ;) you'll have a better understanding of your system if you build it yourself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts