Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
General of Tangerines
3,934 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking a course in X Windows programming and I need to get a copy of Linux.

I was going to get Red Hat, but lo and behold that OS cost money now.

I have heard about Fedora, but I not so sure how good it is.

What are some Linux distribution do you guys recommend?

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
at school they want us to install either Red Hat 7.3, 8.0 or 9.0 which are available for free (iinm) im using Red Hat 9.0 and liking it thus far but i dont know much about linux

·
Registered
181 Posts
Fedora is really good, i've bin using it for some time know. It's the best distro i've used. I would recomened to everyone who wants to use linux. And the plus side to it is that there is a whole bunch of software for it. If u need more info on the fedora go here http://fedora.artoo.net/

·
Registered
822 Posts
Fedora or Redhat are good distro's, if you are a little bit more experienced later on I would suggest Gentoo, that thing is very customizable. If you use the Gentoo distro with the LFS (Linux From Scratch) tutorials you can have a pretty tweaked system.

·
Memories are all I have..
423 Posts
you cld try gentoo...
www.gentoo.org
you can use a stage 3 installation for a normal installation. doesn require alot of time to install. i can get my whole system up and running with gnome within a day.
Best thing is, you can just type: emerge <item> to get whatever you want..
well..nearly? :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Suse seems to be more user/nub friendly, I liked FC2 but could never get anything to work (my fault :p).

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Janus said:
you cld try gentoo...
www.gentoo.org
you can use a stage 3 installation for a normal installation. doesn require alot of time to install. i can get my whole system up and running with gnome within a day.
Best thing is, you can just type: emerge <item> to get whatever you want..
well..nearly? :)
...or just install apt onto Fedora and you have apt-get install <item>, apt-get update, and apt-get upgrade :p I used to dual-boot Gentoo on my laptop. Only run that distro if you plan on putting a lot of work into your OS.

I have a server running on Fedora and a server running on RH 9. Both work great. :)

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I'm using slackware 10.0, and its my second distro well, actually third but I don't count the knoppix on cd cuz i used that for like 1 day. I also used Mandrake 10.0 it was pretty cool too.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
i'm using Yoper Linux....the speed of Gentoo without the hair loss and 50 page manuals :p

I'd recommend at least Slackware or Fedora....

·
CoLD InSiDE
2,615 Posts
Mandrake?

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
So far I've found Suse 9.x to be the most user friendly of what i have tried (RH8,9,FC1, Mandrake 10)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I tried fedora core 2 recently and thought i could get used to it (ive got a winmodem so i really cant do much in it). I DL'ed the DVD version and it took ... 20 min to half an hour to install. Just something to watch out for, make sure that if something fails, you can reinstall windows (if your planning on dual booting). I just had problems with it recently.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Toshiro said:
Fedora or Redhat are good distro's, if you are a little bit more experienced later on I would suggest Gentoo, that thing is very customizable. If you use the Gentoo distro with the LFS (Linux From Scratch) tutorials you can have a pretty tweaked system.
Does it mean that we will have faster boot time?
I just tired waiting linux system to boot up. Im using SUSE on my laptop.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts