Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

· Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hmm.. this is my first post in this topic. Just want to get a suggestion. Im a first year of com science student. For C++, I have been tought to make a program using Borland C++'s IDE. I want to know, to know what is your C++ IDE and can you suggest me the best IDE to work eith C++.

· Registered
380 Posts
Hey dude, there are many C++ IDEs out there but if your school using Borland C++ Compiler then you should stick Borland C++ IDE. OR you can use another IDE and configure the compiler to Borland C++'s compiler (bcc). If you're 1st year student, then the program are pretty simple and not complicated at all, I think you should go for simple text editor with syntax hightlighting and auto-indentation such TextPad on Windows, gEdit on Linux, or 'vim'.
I am using Dev-C++ on Windows, this IDE is very light-weight, support syntax hightlighting, etc and more importantly it uses 'gcc' compiler (GNU C Compiler). But the best IDE I've been using on Windows is VS.net IDE, but you have to bear the fact that it uses 'VCC' not 'gcc' and it will take a bit time if you want to port the your program to other OSs.
On Linux, I just stick with gEdit and Anjuta. For compiling, I use command on 'xterm' or gnome-terminal.
For Mac, the best is always Metrowerk C++ IDE, the best out of the best IDE for Mac.
But if you prefer a multiplatform IDE, then you SHOULD go for Eclipse, Eclipse can run on almost OSs existed out there. And it's growing fast and mature aswell.

· <font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,456 Posts
I'd say VS .NET 2003 is the nicest C++ IDE I've used so far. They say 2005 is even better, but I dunno since I didn't give that a try yet.

Yours,
-E

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
エッリー said:
I'd say VS .NET 2003 is the nicest C++ IDE I've used so far. They say 2005 is even better, but I dunno since I didn't give that a try yet.

Yours,
-E
I can tell you the beta for 2005 wasn't that good.:p

· Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey dude, there are many C++ IDEs out there but if your school using Borland C++ Compiler then you should stick Borland C++ IDE. OR you can use another IDE and configure the compiler to Borland C++'s compiler (bcc). If you're 1st year student, then the program are pretty simple and not complicated at all, I think you should go for simple text editor with syntax hightlighting and auto-indentation such TextPad on Windows, gEdit on Linux, or 'vim'.
I am using Dev-C++ on Windows, this IDE is very light-weight, support syntax hightlighting, etc and more importantly it uses 'gcc' compiler (GNU C Compiler). But the best IDE I've been using on Windows is VS.net IDE, but you have to bear the fact that it uses 'VCC' not 'gcc' and it will take a bit time if you want to port the your program to other OSs.
On Linux, I just stick with gEdit and Anjuta. For compiling, I use command on 'xterm' or gnome-terminal.
For Mac, the best is always Metrowerk C++ IDE, the best out of the best IDE for Mac.
But if you prefer a multiplatform IDE, then you SHOULD go for Eclipse, Eclipse can run on almost OSs existed out there. And it's growing fast and mature aswell.
Impressive... Got a link to the sites?

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
It's fine. You can find some tutorials at freedevs or nehe.

EDIT: One thing I don't think you'll get in Dev-C++ (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) is a debugger. That I'd define as a critical tool for development.

I know Visual Studios and KDevelop have debuggers... I'd be surprised if Borland and eclipse did not.

Otherwise, Dev-C++ seems to be "good enough."

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Well, I've used DevC++, Borland Turbo C++ and VS.NET and I think I enjoyed VS.NET the most. its really cool and "fun" to use and program in. I don't have any technical reasons as to whay it is better :p

9,456 Posts
generalplot said:
I can tell you the beta for 2005 wasn't that good.:p
In which way was it bad ? The only bad critisim I head about 2005 beta was the fact that M$ is starting to stray away from the C++ standard ( again... :rolleyes: ) and implementing it's own thing. One of the affected areas was the STL copy function IIRC.

Yours,
-E

· NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I'm using the proffesional version of MVC 2005 ( I don't have much choice as a game developer ) and it's by far the best one I've used.

The only problem for a newbie or someone who wants to do something simple is the myriad of settings it has.

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
エッリー said:
In which way was it bad ? The only bad critisim I head about 2005 beta was the fact that M$ is starting to stray away from the C++ standard ( again... :rolleyes: ) and implementing it's own thing. One of the affected areas was the STL copy function IIRC.

Yours,
-E
And that's reason enough for me to not want to upgrade to it for now.:p

9,456 Posts
generalplot said:
And that's reason enough for me to not want to upgrade to it for now.:p
Uhm...I was the one asking you for a reason why you disliked VS 2005 in your previous post. So far you didn't give any, so I'll just assume you don't have one to begin with ;)

Yours,
-E

· Registered
2,794 Posts
エッリー said:
Uhm...I was the one asking you for a reason why you disliked VS 2005 in your previous post. So far you didn't give any, so I'll just assume you don't have one to begin with ;)

Yours,
-E
/me thinks generalplot doesn't know what he's talking about. No qualms with VS2005 here. Been using it since I received my copy at the launch and like it quite a bit better than 2003.

· Knowledge is the solution
7,484 Posts
I remember Dev-C++ having a debugger called GDB, although I don't remember if it comes with the intaller, or if you had to install it separately.

... and I wouldn't really recommend KDevelop, not at least for a beginner. At least I'm not interested in hello world projects that make you like +40 stubs files in the default configuration.

For a simple IDE for Linux, I think Anjuta is fine. (or Eclipse) ... although for starters you should NOT grow dependant of an IDE. The use of simple text editors with just syntax highlighting is recommended instead by yours truly.

... and death to all of those who support the .NET platform and VS ^_^ (the only thing from VS i miss in Eclipse is its highly capable debugger... although Eclipse's isn't too shaby either.)

edit: I checked, and at least as of Dev-C++ 5 GDB is incorporated in the default instalation. (not that you will want to use it anyway, at least from the last time I used it was UGLY as hell...)

· Familiar Face
5,307 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
/me thinks generalplot doesn't know what he's talking about. No qualms with VS2005 here. Been using it since I received my copy at the launch and like it quite a bit better than 2003.
None of the PCSX2 devs liked the 2005 beta either, which is what I was referring to. I also did mention that I have NOT tried the retail release. Try checking the entire thread before making statements like that.:p Not to mention the fact that I had alot of erroneous compiling problems with the beta that I didn't have with 2003, including, but not limited to using directx sdk and DShow addon as well as using modified base classes.;)

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
For very simple projects it probably is best to ignore kdevelop - it uses a very bloated system. If you're just starting, there's little use for Makefiles (as you will likely have just one file), and honestly, you should make Makefiles yourself rather than letting automake and whatever else generate god only knows what different thing on every different linux distro out there.

Otherwise, as far as tracking class methods and variables, it's pretty solid. The debugger (gdb) may or may not be implemented very well with whatever distro you use (mandrake is horrid, gentoo and debian seems pretty well set up). It's not as nice a debugger as MSVC, but it gets the job done (usually)... plus, the valgrind integration at least brought valgrind to my attention - solved many "unsolvable" bugs and helped track down a few memory leaks and race conditions (though it was not because valgrind was integrated - the integration sucks badly).

MSVC is expensive, but is a very good IDE. I'd tend to avoid getting stuck with its divergences from standards, though.

Honestly, I use KWrite for most of my development... and I don't do many small projects anymore (one of my larger ones has over 500 files). Beyond that, simply using a Makefile and gcc is fine. I use kdbg for light debugging, and valgrind for an in-depth look at what's going on. If I need heavy debugging, I reboot, grab a snapshot of the code off my subversion server, and debug it under MSVC .NET 2003. In the last year, I have only been forced to reboot once (but that's enough for me to justify purchasing MSVC). Another good tact I use is to put "reference" code (think headers) along with reference material on my secondary monitor and the intensive stuff on the primary monitor. I loved it when I started using my secondary monitor :).

EDIT:
Proto said:
edit: I checked, and at least as of Dev-C++ 5 GDB is incorporated in the default instalation. (not that you will want to use it anyway, at least from the last time I used it was UGLY as hell...)
Then I stand corrected. Thank you for double-checking :)

· Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You guys are cool :thumb: . There a lot of programming word that I still does not know. Well Im still beginner though oO .
Anyway, tried Dev C++ and it a bit difficult for me since I just using Borland all the time. I love this IDE, it got a better GUI than Borland I guess. There also some word that I cant used in Dev C++ like clrscr() or it has another replacement for this?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.