Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To everyone who drives, I was just wondering what brand of gas you use and what you thought was the best for you. I like Chevron the best. I dunno why but I feel like my car runs slightly better with it.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
hnayoung said:
To everyone who drives, I was just wondering what brand of gas you use and what you thought was the best for you. I like Chevron the best. I dunno why but I feel like my car runs slightly better with it.
All gas is basically the same. They have guidlines that they must meet, and about all gas companies meet those and thats it. Issues that make it seem one brand is better than another to you are not the gas, but rather, the gas stations quality. Same may have water issues, rusty tanks, etc...
So basically the best gas is the one with the least amount of impurities. Regardless of brand...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I basically buy at wherever is cheapest, but tend to stay away from those ultra-cheap non-chain places that don't even list the octane of the gas or anything. I currently buy all my gas from Costco (yes, the warehouse company... they have a gas station on the side of the building) cause it's consistently about 10 cents cheaper per gallon than the other local places, but you have to be a member to get it.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the average octane of gas here in Colorado (I just moved here a few months ago) is lower... you'll see "regular" grade be 85 or even 83 octane, whereas in NY and NJ regular was usually 87, sometimes 85, and I NEVER saw 83.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
The cheaper the better. My dad, when he first got his sports car (loved it better than me! :p) Always bought premium gas for about a year, after not being able to buy much else than gas he switched over to regular and noticed absolutely no difference. So I really don't think it matters that much.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Razor Blade said:
The cheaper the better. My dad, when he first got his sports car (loved it better than me! :p) Always bought premium gas for about a year, after not being able to buy much else than gas he switched over to regular and noticed absolutely no difference. So I really don't think it matters that much.
Octane doesn't matter much at all. All it is, is a higher flashpoint. 93 burns easier than 87. Almost every vehical I've owned has recomended 87.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Rhombus said:
I basically buy at wherever is cheapest, but tend to stay away from those ultra-cheap non-chain places that don't even list the octane of the gas or anything. I currently buy all my gas from Costco (yes, the warehouse company... they have a gas station on the side of the building) cause it's consistently about 10 cents cheaper per gallon than the other local places, but you have to be a member to get it.

One interesting thing I've noticed is that the average octane of gas here in Colorado (I just moved here a few months ago) is lower... you'll see "regular" grade be 85 or even 83 octane, whereas in NY and NJ regular was usually 87, sometimes 85, and I NEVER saw 83.
exactly what I do. Costco has a big gas station where I live with about 8-10 pumps, but there is consently a very long line of about 5-8 cars. Over the summer when gas prices sky rocketed, and out here in CA it was $2.80+, there was 1/2-1hr wait to get gas.

Other than Costco, I think the cheepest gas I can find is down at an Armco or sumthin.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
yup all gass in your region is the same. All "brands" buy from the same distributer

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
wow, thanks for all the information. what about all those additives. I noticed like Arco says that the gasoline is 90% gas and 10% ethyl alcohol. My friends tell me that they get bad gas mileage from Arco. I dunno cause I've never tried. What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Viper_Viper said:
exactly what I do. Costco has a big gas station where I live with about 8-10 pumps, but there is consently a very long line of about 5-8 cars. Over the summer when gas prices sky rocketed, and out here in CA it was $2.80+, there was 1/2-1hr wait to get gas.

Other than Costco, I think the cheepest gas I can find is down at an Armco or sumthin.
hmm, I always thought it was useless to wait in line like that for gas...might as well get more expensive gas and go to work and earn more money than you might have saved. Time is money.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Unicron said:
hmm, I always thought it was useless to wait in line like that for gas...might as well get more expensive gas and go to work and earn more money than you might have saved. Time is money.
Heh, this was when the prices skyrocketed, it was worth the wait. Saving 10-15 cents per gallon, when buying 20 gallons, that’s 2-3 dollars. Getting gas twice a month, that’s 4-6. Many not seem like a lot so some people, but when you’re just trying to get to school and back for water polo practice, its a lot.

PS: I did have a job, it might just be that I’m a cheep bastered… Oh well :p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.