Next Generation Emulation banner

Best Gamepad for epsxe

17K views 127 replies 47 participants last post by  takwu 
#1 ·
Well, my Gravis Gamepad pro just broke yesterday and i have to buy a new one, anyone know the best gamepad to use for epsxe? or should i just buy the same gamepad? thanks in advance.

#4 ·
do any stores like babbages or anything sell psx to pc converter things?? i need one...

#9 ·
I heard that the thrustmaster firestorm dual power gamepad was pretty good, although some people had difficulty using its software. I think that in the end, i'll proopably get this one, and also its fairly cheap for what you are getting at $30.

#10 ·
I'm using a gravis Xterminator the design is nice, and has both analouge & digital control surfaces, and alot of buttons too. It's really great for PJ64, but for ePSXe it really stinks. for me to get the d-pad to work I need to use a keyboard mapper program, and whats worse is that gravis doesn't provide such a program for windows 2000 & XP (they do have one for 98/ME though).
argh, I've ranted enough. Time to look for a good PSX to PC converter.

#11 ·
I have a thrustmaster dual power usb gamepad.. And a sidewinder gameport gamepad(the old but best, 10 buttons, 6 on the face of the gamepad just like SF arcade buttons, 2 triggers, start, mode) Not the new crappy sidewinder usb gamepad.. I use the sidewinder to play fighting games as it has the best d-pad of any pc gamepad I have tried(too bad I can't find any anymore, maybe on ebay).. The thrustmaster dual power is great as well.. Its D-pad is excellent for 2d fighting games, and its dual analog sticks works great with epsxe, and it has rumble support.. There was also a new thrustmaster driver software release which seems to work great now and fixed a few directx issues in the previous version.. Set up just like a psx rumble control pad.. 4 buttons on the gamepad face, 4 upper triggers, 2 lower triggers, excellent d-pad, and 2 analog sticks, start, mode..

G
#14 ·
Originally posted by fivefeet8
And here is the thrustmaster Dual power usb.. I have both controllers setup on my computer.. I mostly use the sidewinder as 1p while the thrustmaster is 2p except for epsxe where it's the other way around since epsxe only supports rumble in the first controller..
I have exactly the same pad, but without the rumble.

Do you reckon the sidewinder is the better of the two?
(just curious; I like the thrustmaster (guillemot) one a lot).

#15 ·
Originally posted by Allnatural
Anyone ever use this thing?

It's supposed to work with PSX and N64 controllers, which would save me the trouble (and money) of buying two adapters.
I've got it and I love it - works like a charm, apart from the fact that it doesn't support the rumble option. So if you don't mind not having force feedback it's perfect, analogue controllers and all buttons work, didn't even need a driver in Windows 2000 and XP.

#16 ·
Originally posted by Samor

I have exactly the same pad, but without the rumble.

Do you reckon the sidewinder is the better of the two?
(just curious; I like the thrustmaster (guillemot) one a lot).
I can't really say.. The sidewinder is great for capcom 2d fighters since the button layout and d-pad are perfect for those types of games.. It doesn't support rumble though.. The thrustmaster has more features and a pretty good d-pad as well which is great for psx games on epsxe.. The two are pretty great.. When I looked for an analog gamepad, I wanted one with rumble and a good d-pad.. The thrustmaster was the only one which fit the bill... I had bought and tried a few before I bought the thrustmaster.. Most analog pc gamepads have a bad d-pad.. Luckily the thrustmaster is not like that..

#18 ·
Originally posted by fivefeet8
And here is the thrustmaster Dual power usb.. I have both controllers setup on my computer.. I mostly use the sidewinder as 1p while the thrustmaster is 2p except for epsxe where it's the other way around since epsxe only supports rumble in the first controller..
I have it too... and I can say it's the most compatible with PSX ones
Same buttons at same place. I love it

#19 ·
Have you tried an InterAct AxisPad?

Apart from the lack of a vibration motor, it feels almost exactly like a Dual Shock Pad. It even has those secret buttons on the analog sticks (which means you can actually faithfully play Ape Escape and the like that rely on the sticks and secret buttons on this thing).

A nice part is that it's relatively cheap ($15-20), and there's strong support. Can use either joyport or USB, and Win2K support is built-in. It's only quirk concerns the fact that the D-Pad comes out as a POV hat, and ePSXe doesn't seem to recognize POV controls as yet.

G
#22 ·
PunkRawk911, uh uh don't even consider that one. I ordered one from Zophar,Net and, to me, it is horrible. It locks your dual shock pad in analog mode, you can't use digital mode at all. There is no screen on which to set up the power of the rumble and the rumble does not work w/ePSXe since when you set it to digital/analog mode, the pad won't work. I'm sorry that I bought it.
The best Gamepad for ePSXe? A Dual Shock pad w/a USB to PSX cable made by SOYO. The cable is called the KIKY-JOY. It supports and delivers good strong force feedback in ePSXE and supports regular PSX controllers, the PSOne cotroller (which is supposed to be different from the regular PSX controller), and, get this, the PS2 controller. Imagine playing ePSXe w/a PS2 controller.
If you are interested, you can go to www.soyo.com and check it out. I highly reccomend it.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

#24 ·
What about compatability?

"A Dual Shock pad w/a USB to PSX cable made by SOYO. The cable is called the KIKY-JOY"

Yeah, that looks like a pretty good product, but do you know if other emulators support it? Like if I've got a game that isn't compatible with ePSXe will it work well in other emulators?

#26 ·
I can tell you what game pad sucks - interact axis pad, it looks like a dual analog stick, but what looks like a d-pad is a POV and epsxe doesn't see the input.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.