Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a long time I had little interest in emulation due to my desktop PC being broken, but after changing my configuration I would like to get back on the track and get the best emulators for every console I like. Could please someone suggest me what's the best emulator for each of these system, based on my configuration (Core2Duo E6850 @default, 2GB DDR2 800, Radeon X850XT, Windows XP Professional SP3)?

-Mark III/Master System (guess it's MEKA, but I have some trouble configuring it perfectly, i.e. sound crackles a bit and even on my "new" configuration)
-Mega Drive
-Famicom/NES
-Super Famicom/Super NES (guess the best bet is ZSNES+SNES9x if you want the highest compatibility)
-Nintendo 64
-Gameboy Advance
-Nintendo DS
-PC Engine
-Sony PSP (just for kicks, I even don't know whether anything is playable on PSP emulators)

As for 2D arcade systems, Saturn, Dreamcast and PSX, I don't think I need suggestions :p I'm more than happy with FinalBurn Alpha+MAMEUIFX -I have a sympathy for this build because it includes a fix for The Simpsons-, SSF, Makaron+nullDC+Demul and ePSXe respectively, and I still haven't started emulating Gamecube but it looks to me like Dolphin is the only choice. Thank you everyone in advance ^^

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
-Master System/Game Gear/Genesis/32x/Sega CD: Kega Fusion
-Famicom/NES: Nestopia
-Super Famicom/Super NES (guess the best bet is ZSNES+SNES9x if you want the highest compatibility): Or BSNES for accuracy.
-Nintendo 64: Project64
-Gameboy/Gameboy Color: Gambatte for accuracy or VBA
-Gameboy Advance: VBA/VBA-M
-Nintendo DS: :/ I haven't been in the DS scene for a while.
-PC Engine: Turbo Engine (nice user friendly and free TG16 emulator which is a hard combo to find) MagicEngine (not free, but good)
-Sony PSP (just for kicks, I even don't know whether anything is playable on PSP emulators): Haven't dabbled into PSP emulation. :/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your suggestions, now I will comment them ^^ First of all, I'm already using some of the emulators you suggested, but I needed confirmations or denials about them being the best ones because, as I've already said, I hadn't been into the emulation scene much lately.

-I'm already using Kega Fusion -dropped Gens32 Surreal in its favor because G32S was giving me weird sound and couldn't do any VSync- and was surprised to hear full sound in Knuckles Chaotix (I remember drums weren't emulated a while ago)

-I was doubtful about choosing Nestopia again because the latest version is a bit old, but I will trust your suggestion nevertheless :)

-I know about BSNES but I couldn't try it because I remember reading from the official site it has trouble with chipped games, but I will try it out of curiosity since I have a dual core CPU at last.

-So Project64 is still the best, huh? :D I don't exactly agree with making the pre-1.7 beta versions "donationware", but well, it's their decision.

-Same as above for Gameboy and Gameboy Advance, except I've barely read the name of Gambatte and will try it.

-About DS, it looks to me IdeaS is the most updated emulator, too bad it went on a halt because of that issue between Lino and Batblaster :( It's curiosity in this case too, because I have a DS (the "fat" version)

-Thank you about Turbo Engine, I thought Ootake was the best among the free emulators but I will try TE first.

-Sony PSP: me neither :D Now that I've gathered so much info about all the systems, I will investigate about PSP on my own, if you want to know something I will tell you ^^

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions, now I will comment them ^^ First of all, I'm already using some of the emulators you suggested, but I needed confirmations or denials about them being the best ones because, as I've already said, I hadn't been into the emulation scene much lately.

-I'm already using Kega Fusion -dropped Gens32 Surreal in its favor because G32S was giving me weird sound and couldn't do any VSync- and was surprised to hear full sound in Knuckles Chaotix (I remember drums weren't emulated a while ago)

-I was doubtful about choosing Nestopia again because the latest version is a bit old, but I will trust your suggestion nevertheless :)

-I know about BSNES but I couldn't try it because I remember reading from the official site it has trouble with chipped games, but I will try it out of curiosity since I have a dual core CPU at last.

-So Project64 is still the best, huh? :D I don't exactly agree with making the pre-1.7 beta versions "donationware", but well, it's their decision.

-Same as above for Gameboy and Gameboy Advance, except I've barely read the name of Gambatte and will try it.

-About DS, it looks to me IdeaS is the most updated emulator, too bad it went on a halt because of that issue between Lino and Batblaster :( It's curiosity in this case too, because I have a DS (the "fat" version)

-Thank you about Turbo Engine, I thought Ootake was the best among the free emulators but I will try TE first.

-Sony PSP: me neither :D Now that I've gathered so much info about all the systems, I will investigate about PSP on my own, if you want to know something I will tell you ^^
No emulator is perfect (yet), but it's all up to whatever works best for you and your needs. For example, VBA and Gambatte are both good emulators, but they do not have the option to link up old GB games. That's where another emulator comes in to do the job that may not be considered the "best" but are still noteworthy (I forget the name of the GB emulators that I used before to link up GB games, there were two I believe) I personally like accurate emulators that are functional on moderate specs, which most of what I mentioned are. Gambatte is not feature heavy atm, but I've heard a lot of praise about it's accuracy. Nestopia has a **** ton of cool features that I love which is why I use it, but it hasn't been updated recently, though don't worry, it's actively being worked on. We'll probably see an update before the year's end. Kega is just awesome, especially with the freedom that it gives you for plugins (search the net, there are lots of render plugins out there). Turbo Engine is the best TG16 emu that I tried in terms of cost, features, and user friendliness. Plus, Aamir took the Kega GUI approach, so if you like Kega, you'll love TE. There is also KiGB for GB emulation. There are a few other good ones that slip my mind atm, but I will look on my emulation folders to find a few other noteworthy emus.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.