Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't seen a thread like this so, what do you think is the best dock/dock like program out there?

Also, any add-ons which make the thing even better.

I'd say I like RocketDock the best, with the CrystalXP theme, along with the Master Volume Docklet(finally found some on screen volume that is not absolutely ugly. Too bad I have to go to the desktop to see it. Oh well)

PS: I don't know how many dock programs are out there, so this might actually turn into a very short thread, but...meh.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yeah I prefer rocketdock as well. Nothing really special about it though other than it being the best freeware I know of.
Only special little thing I have on it is a shortcut which let's me open my task manager instantly rather than pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete and getting that Vista screen instead of the task manager instantly.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Objectdock is only partly configurable for free and somehow feels more bulky.

Never heard of Fences though.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Docks load shortcuts and shortcut folders than a custom toolbar would or the quick launch menu can.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I have that too. It's called a start menu. And it's in my taskbar.
Which also lags like hell once you have 200+ apps and games (I mean combined, not 200 of each) installed.

·
band
4,912 Posts
Which also lags like hell once you have 200+ apps and games (I mean combined, not 200 of each) installed.
So THATs why my taskbar lagged. Never quite figured out why my XP start menu would have some kind of a delay as time went by.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Yeah, no it doesn't. Not that I would ever EVER need 200 apps installed on my machine....wtf man.

And even in the unlikely scenario of 200 apps......do you honestly think a dock program is going to handle that many apps faster?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yes, because it does not have to rely on the windows icon cache and uses it's own instead.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I doubt you're right.
Regardless, the 200 app argument is bunk. No one has anywhere close to that many apps on their computer. If they do, they're not really using them all and they're just too lazy to uninstall crap.
The start menu has never been anything but extremely fast and well-organized for me, and customizable in it's own right. Dock-fans just refuse to admit that they just like the dock because it looks cool. Task management through a dock is balls though.

·
band
4,912 Posts
To be honest, I don't find anything wrong with OSX's dock at all from my day to day use of it. It looks cool, but I know myself well enough to say thats not the only reason why I like it.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts