Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
For sprite-based emulators recording at the original size (helps if rescaling is needing later, such as to beautify before uploading to Youtube), MSU on the fastest settings should be the best. Beats the outdated huffyuv by miles.

A properly set Xvid can have high quality too, but -not- lossless, so games with a low palette will look a bit washed up (Xvid beats VP6 and Divx anyday, and the other ones are legacy highly outdated codecs).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
I always use a combination of Huffyuv and Xvid.

There aren't many codecs that can resize on-the-fly. (I think DivX does. Can't remember as I don't even bother with it any more.)

Huffyuv is a lossless codec, so what you record is exactly what you will see in the video. (unless you record in RGB and convert it to YUY2. In this case there is some color loss, but it is insignificant) It does use some compression, but the file size will still be huge. It's also very fast and uses relatively little CPU time.

After you record, open the video in a program like Virtual Dub and edit it however you like. (delete scenes, resize, crop borders, etc.) Then set the compression format to 'Xvid' and configure the codec to your liking. Press F7 to save.

You can also just use Xvid, but then you'll still have to resize the video. Double encoding a video is not recommended as it further increases video quality loss...

·
Member Since June 2004
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For sprite-based emulators on the original size (helps if rescaling is needing later, such as to beautify before uploading to Youtube), MSU on the fastest settings should be the best.

A properly set Xvid can have high quality too, but -not- lossless, so games with a low palette will look a bit washed up.
Xvid i cant figure out for the life of me but what is MSU? and how would you rescale it after recording? and how would i stop it from getting it soo big in filesize?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Xvid i cant figure out for the life of me but what is MSU? and how would you rescale it after recording? and how would i stop it from getting it soo big in filesize?
MSU Lossless Video Codec

You would still have to edit it in a video editor after recording.

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
There aren't many codecs that can resize on-the-fly. (I think DivX does. Can't remember as I don't even bother with it any more.)
Internal colorspace conversion to rgb then back to yuv allows that, but visual color quality is irremediably lost in the process (more noticeable with solid backs and red).

Huffyuv is a lossless codec, so what you record is exactly what you will see in the video.
MSU is superior to huffyuv (in achievable compression and decompression speed as well as compression ratios), and also more customizable. Theres also a setting for 'visually lossless', which is about as nicely looking as a highquality lossy encode, except no risks of ending with a messed video.

·
Member Since June 2004
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok i installed MSU. what settings should i have? also is there anyway to just record it with the size in double like in said pic above? if not, whats the best way to resize it with minimum file size increase?

EDIT: im not looking to record anything big just a 4 min video.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
MSU is superior to huffyuv (in achievable compression and decompression speed as well as compression ratios), and also more customizable. Theres also a setting for 'visually lossless', which is about as nicely looking as a highquality lossy encode, except no risks of ending with a messed video.
The compression ratios are certainly impressive. I don't agree with their speed claims though.

Huffyuv is the only codec that can capture my desktop (1920x1200) at 30fps with no dropped frames. MSU drops about every 10th or so frame. It's certainly fine for capturing a small window though, and the smaller file size is nice. :)

ok i installed MSU. what settings should i have? also is there anyway to just record it with the size in double like in said pic above? if not, whats the best way to resize it with minimum file size increase?

EDIT: im not looking to record anything big just a 4 min video.
You should be fine with the default settings.

If you want a smaller file, try setting 'Mode' to: 'Max Compression, Slow Decompr.'

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
The compression ratios are certainly impressive. I don't agree with their speed claims though.
They are not claims.

If youre looking for HD-size lossless recording, its a different range. FFdshow's FFV1 lossless codec is the allaround fast performer there. MSU also has a codec for desktop capture.

If you want a smaller file, try setting 'Mode' to: 'Max Compression, Slow Decompr.'
Slow decompression will be intolerably slow. As the aim is unlikely to strive for every little amount of kbs saved, fast decompression would be better (the difference in filesize would be negligible, but decompression will be a major turnoff if set so)

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
They are not claims.

If youre looking for HD-size lossless recording, its a different range. FFdshow's FFV1 lossless codec is the allaround fast performer there. MSU also has a codec for desktop capture.
Thanks for the link. :thumb:

·
Member Since June 2004
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok recording is down. now then how about that filesize? when i used virtualdub i made a 50MB .avi into a 12GB .avi video quality was nice though but i ****ed up somewhere.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
ok recording is down. now then how about that filesize? when i used virtualdub i made a 50MB .avi into a 12GB .avi video quality was nice though but i ****ed up somewhere.
So you went from 50MB -> 12GB? What codec did you use?

I think you might have forgotten to select a codec. Uncompressed RGB is the default choice which would explain the enormous file size.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
I know what i'm asking is irrelevant to this topic but you seem to be the only person online so can you please help me with linking vba
PLzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Heard of Google? Tried clicking the search button?

You knew posting off-topic is wrong, yet you posted anyway.

PLzzzzzzzzzzzzzz move along.

·
Member Since June 2004
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
best codec to use for virtualdub?

So you went from 50MB -> 12GB? What codec did you use?

I think you might have forgotten to select a codec. Uncompressed RGB is the default choice which would explain the enormous file size.
probably hit the nail on the coffin there. ive never used virtualdub before!

Ok topic switch: best codec to use for virtualdub? go.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
probably hit the nail on the coffin there. ive never used virtualdub before!

Ok topic switch: best codec to use for virtualdub? go.
Xvid.

Truth be told, ANY vfw codec will work. There is no "best", at least in this context.

What exactly are you encoding these videos for? Youtube? DVD? Personal use?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Sorry to double post. But i wanted to update you guys that helped me:
YouTube - Megaman Zero 3 - Intro
I managed to get it working. thanks guys for the help.

Btw one thing, is there anyway to have VBA stop that out-of-sync thing when the video goes past 3 mins?
Your video came out looking pretty good! :)

As for the out-of-sync thing, that sounds like a bug in VBA. You might have to use and external capturing program like Fraps or Camtasia. VirtualDub has a built in video screen capture capability too, but it's a bit of a pain to use since you have to manually specify the window size that you want to capture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.