Next Generation Emulation banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Best Anime?

2K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  hushypushy 
#1 ·
Well not being an anime guy i'm totally clueless so maybe you guys can help me. I'm looking to start watching some anime movies and tv series as well. I don't like the cutsie ones with the giggly school girls and sailor moon crap or the totally deep dark ones that are so 'bad ass' they aren't fun anymore. I'm looking just for a good story with a little (or a lot) of action and that looks appealing as well :) Oh and no tenticles please kthx. :p

#4 ·
I recomend One Piece more than anything else (if you've seen the english dub you won't want to watch it but trust me the origional is completely different) just make sure you get the ones by Kaizoku-Fansubs, the rest are awful. As other have said Full Metal Alchemist, GetBackers and Samurai Champloo are also good.

Remember, you will probably be advised to watch Naruto, it was good for a while but over the last few months has been awful, watch it at your own risk, it'll probably disapoint you eventually.

I can't recomend One Piece enough though, it really is the best of the bunch by far.

edit - note that some people still like Naruto as it is now, I'm just not one of them.

#5 ·
Naruto... I haven't been following the anime after episode 100, I can't stand the kiddy stuff they added in. The manga is going all well though.

>> the totally deep dark ones that are so 'bad ass' they aren't fun anymore.
Hellsing? Don't know. I would recommend solely because how badass Alucard is, nah, the story is alright, I hope it is longer though.

And next, Full Metal Panic, the first season(not fumoffu!). Nice blended anime with comedy, serious stuff, romance and a lot of cool mecha actions scenes. I haven't seen the second season yet, but the first season is a very fine anime serie. I hated Fumoffu though, they left out the seriousness and added in a lot of comedy, it was alright but the "mecha" in it annoyed me after a while. :p

Meh, these are all older anime, I haven't get my hands on those newer series because I am currently hooked to something else. xD

#6 ·
Samor said:
hard to say; there's a lot out there. I'm not really into it either, but I enjoyed some Anime... You could try Lupin the 3rd, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo or Gunsmith Cats....
I suppose I don't have to tell you Cowboy Bebop is actually shown on TMF every friday? They even kept the japanese voices :D

I don't know very much about anime, but there is one I really like:

Berserk
There are quite a few swords battles with gore, and I wouldn't recommend it to the young ones around here that can't stand blood, violence, or any other adult theme, because it contains them all. But underneath there is a very interesting story, great characters, and even better music.

#7 ·
Gundam Seed is great. Bit cheesy, but still good. Excellent plot, good characters and good action (though repeated scenes are used). Its sequel Gundam Seed Destiny is dissapointment though. First half is great, but then something happened... It turned out to complete sh**, believe me.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is good. A very deep one even though it doesnt seem like that at first glance.

Ninja Scroll movie is perfect starting point. Bit gory, and few adultery scenes, but plot, action and characters are excellent. This is where i started my adventure towards world of anime.

#9 · (Edited)
Well.... my tastes are a little weird I think. What I seek the most on a series is character development and good character relationships. In face of that even the story is secondary to me, but still a good story doesn't hurt

in face of that I like:

Haibane Renmei
Seraphim Call
Figure 17

Like I said, a good story with superb characters really go along, and as such I like:

-Juuni Kokki
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster

The above titles are quite more mature than your average series, so if you haven't watched anime because you thought it was too childish, I'd recommend you to start by Monster. Non-anime watchers always end up liking it :)

The review I copied is a little spoilerish but only for the first two chapters :)

Dr. Tenma is a Japanese man working in Germany. He has it all, incredible medical skill, a great job, a beautiful fiancee. He becomes disillusioned with the hospital politics though, when one day he's ordered to forgo operating on a critically injured man in favor of someone who was more famous. After this point, he decides he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of politics.

One day, a young boy and his younger sister were brought in. The boy had a bullet in his head, an operation that the doctor knows only he is capable of completing successfully. But soon after a politician was brought to the hospital and the high ups in the hospital want Dr. Tenma to leave the boy to operate on the politician. Dr. Tenma decides that he'll do what's right and save the young boy's life.

The young boy's operation was a success, but the surgeons operating on the politician fail, prompting his life to fall apart. Dr. Tenma is passed over for a promotion and his fiancee becomes cold to him and eventually leaves him.

But soon after, strange murders begin to occur, ones that benefit Dr. Tenma greatly and though he becomes the #1 suspect, they have no evidence against him. But it seems that the boy whose life he saved has a hand in things, and that he is much more than he seems...

Maybe I should warn you that Seraphim call and Haibane Renmei have no action at all. Infact the only good action centered series I have seen (because of its good share of character development I guess :p) are the Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA's and series

#10 ·
And next, Full Metal Panic, the first season(not fumoffu!). Nice blended anime with comedy, serious stuff, romance and a lot of cool mecha actions scenes. I haven't seen the second season yet, but the first season is a very fine anime serie. I hated Fumoffu though, they left out the seriousness and added in a lot of comedy, it was alright but the "mecha" in it annoyed me after a while. :p
If you like full metal panic i recommend the 2nd series aswell full metal panic the 2nd raid, the quality is almost as good as the 1st season.

#11 ·
Proto said:
Well.... my tastes are a little weird I think. What I seek the most on a series is character development and good character relationships. In face of that even the story is secondary to me[...]
No Lupin the third for you, then* :p

(*nice stories, but Lupin's always been the same; there's near-zero character development there ;) )

#12 ·
Proto said:
Well.... my tastes are a little weird I think. What I seek the most on a series is character development and good character relationships. In face of that even the story is secondary to me, but still a good story doesn't hurt

in face of that I like:

Haibane Renmei
Seraphim Call
Figure 17

Like I said, a good story with superb characters really go along, and as such I like:

-Juuni Kokki
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster

The above titles are quite more mature than your average series, so if you haven't watched anime because you thought it was too childish, I'd recommend you to start by Monster. Non-anime watchers always end up liking it :)

The review I copied is a little spoilerish but only for the first two chapters :)

Dr. Tenma is a Japanese man working in Germany. He has it all, incredible medical skill, a great job, a beautiful fiancee. He becomes disillusioned with the hospital politics though, when one day he's ordered to forgo operating on a critically injured man in favor of someone who was more famous. After this point, he decides he will do what he thinks is right, regardless of politics.

One day, a young boy and his younger sister were brought in. The boy had a bullet in his head, an operation that the doctor knows only he is capable of completing successfully. But soon after a politician was brought to the hospital and the high ups in the hospital want Dr. Tenma to leave the boy to operate on the politician. Dr. Tenma decides that he'll do what's right and save the young boy's life.

The young boy's operation was a success, but the surgeons operating on the politician fail, prompting his life to fall apart. Dr. Tenma is passed over for a promotion and his fiancee becomes cold to him and eventually leaves him.

But soon after, strange murders begin to occur, ones that benefit Dr. Tenma greatly and though he becomes the #1 suspect, they have no evidence against him. But it seems that the boy whose life he saved has a hand in things, and that he is much more than he seems...

Maybe I should warn you that Seraphim call and Haibane Renmei have no action at all. Infact the only good action centered series I have seen (because of its good share of character development I guess :p) are the Read or Die (R.O.D.) OVA's and series

Actually im pretty much same. Im VERY interested how character relationships develop, im interested in it so much that it sometimes distracts me from following the plot itself.

#14 ·
Samor said:
I didn't know that.... that's kinda surprising, actually.
It's not like many people are watching, so that's a shame, because I was hoping they would be broadcasting more anime in the future. It's on every friday at 21.30 right after Gamekings and the same episode will be on on sunday again. I think next friday episode 5 or 6 will be shown.

Just make sure to switch channels as soon as CB is over because all other things on TMF are crap :p (TMF being a dutch MTV, aimed towards breezer loving 14 year old wannabe gangsta girls :rolleyes: )

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Remember, you will probably be advised to watch Naruto, it was good for a while but over the last few months has been awful, watch it at your own risk, it'll probably disapoint you eventually.
filler seasons really really really suck =p fillers are supposed to end in april of next year which means pretty much ep 130 - 190 are all gonna be fillers and its at i think 165 now, if the anime was following the books though we would've been post time-skip about 7 months ago unfortunately they'd rather make crap to air than make nothing at all... personally i wouldve preferred if they'd made nothing at all, wouldve made the series have a lot less stupid episodes in the process

as for one piece and *the subbers*... its finally started to get interesting at skypiea but *their* websites been down for weeks

if you wanna watch some movies though as always ill recommend patlabor, you gotta watch it a few times and be somewhat intelligent to understand it though

#17 ·
RB, i must warn you, once you start watching anime you may find it unavoidable to stop!

anyway, i could suggest 20 or 50 different shows for you to watch, but i'll let you figure it out (along with everyone else' suggestion :p ). this type of thread has been created a lot before, so you can search and see a lot more recommendations.

when i first started watching anime, i was really into super serious or at least mostly serious stuff (like GITS or hellsing) but then as i discovered more and more shows, i started liking silly crap like Azumanga Daioh or Ichigo 100%....so right now, you may think you like something, but eventually that may change..

oh yeah, if you're gonna DL anime, dont get the DVD rips unless they are fansubbed. i prefer fansubs over official subs anyday--partly because i can understand a lot of stuff and the "summarized" (if you can say that) DVD subs just dont cut it for me, but partly because fansubbers have little notes everywhere or translations of other stuff that DVD subs dont get. with fansubs, you get to learn a little :)

#18 · (Edited)
Samurai X ( Kenshin ) OVAs
Witch Hunter Robin
Full Metal Alchemist
Full Metal Panic 1
Full Metal Panic : Fumoffu ( excellent comedy )
Full Metal Panic The Second Raid
Cowboy Bebop
Shin Angyo Onshi OVA
Gundam SEED
Naruto ( for the first 80 episodes )
Slam Dunk

Yours,
-E

#19 ·
Razor Blade said:
I'm looking just for a good story with a little (or a lot) of action and that looks appealing as well :) Oh and no tenticles please kthx. :p
for this i suggest
Gungrave (very good story, closest to real world, have some fantasy though)
wolf's rain (good story but all is fantasy)

those are the best in my opinion, gungrave is the best i've ever seen anyway.
(Note : I'm not watching too much anime also except lately, so this is from alittle experince :) )

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Strider said:
as for one piece and *you-know-who*... its finally started to get interesting at skypiea but *snip snip* websites been down for weeks
I found One Piece fun adn interesting the whole way through, from start till now I'd say it has been the best anime I have ever seen IMO. *Their* site is back up btw, on an alternative URL though *snip snip* if you're interested.

Strider said:
if you wanna watch some movies though as always ill recommend patlabor, you gotta watch it a few times and be somewhat intelligent to understand it though
I guess our opinions differ again, I found this be the most boring thing I have ever seen, not just anime, I'm including political broadcasts in that! It seemed to have a plot that was rather frail so they decided to try to fluff it up by having pople talk about seemingly random subjects, like religion, if I had paid more attention all this maybe would have fitted together to make some important social point but even so... that's not really what I want from an anime, I want fun! That's not to say I don't want plot or a message in the anime or something but for me it has to at least be entertaining to watch which that film was just not.

If I were to recomend a film... Perfect Blue, it's a rather creepy horror/drama, it's good. There are also the big names, Blood: The Last Vampire, Ghost in the Shell and Akira, all of those are quite good too, to be honest though I've never enjoyed a movie as much as a good series.

hushypushy said:
Azumanga Daioh
I can't believe I forgot to mention this! In terms of just pure fun and comedy you cannot go wrong with this, it's incredible, the pedo teacher will have you laughing for days.

Also, this should go without saying, you should only watch these shows in japanese with subs (or without if you speak the language obviously) do NOT under any circumstances watch any of the above listed anime in english they are ALL terrible, if you would rather watch something in english to ease you into the world of anime then I would recomend the only 2 anime I have ever enjoyed the english versions of - Excel Saga and Golden Boy they were both extremely funny shows, only watch them if you don't mind people shouting things really loud and fast though since that is a lot of the comedy... and Golden Boy is a little more echi than I would have liked both are good though and in fact in the case of Golden Boy especially I would actually recomend the english version over the jap one.

#21 ·
Oi, no fansub links allowed here, especially for licenced anime fansubs such as those who are doing One piece.

Yours,
-E

#22 ·
Evil_Neko said:
do NOT under any circumstances watch any of the above listed anime in english they are ALL terrible
i think that goes without saying :p

although, the english dub for Howl's Moving Castle wasn't bad. in fact, it remains the only english dub i have even come close to enjoying. christian bale, billy crystal, et al, were pretty good...but still, the japanese version is better ;)

#23 ·
Well some of my recommendation (based on the ones that I've already watched:

Fullmetal Alchemist
Fullmetal Panic 1, Second raid and Fumoffu
Rorouni Kenshin OVA and the TV series
Last Exile
Azumanga Daioh
Chobits
Love Hina
Gundam Wings
Evangelion
Slam Dunk
Hajime Ippo (boxing anime)
Tenchi Muyo
Cowboy Bebop
Naruto (except the filler episodes)
Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien
AIR TV (didn't like the movie that much)
Suzuka
Onegai Teacher
Mai Hime
Vandread
Hunter X Hunter
Shaman King
Ai Yori Aoshi 1 and Enishi

#25 ·
big fan of GITS are we? :p i've seen all those, to be honest GITS:SAC was by far better than the rest...Innocence was pretty cool and i just finished SAC2 and it was cool too. but the original ghost in the shell movie, meh i dunno. maybe because i watched SAC first, then the movie, and it just didnt do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.