Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing Pcsx2 progress so far ive been wondering is this what happened in the early days of psx emulation? Did one emulator break the barrier for all or was it a more competitive beginning compared to ps2 emulation?

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Great topic! Well by the time I actually discovered emulation for myself it was a little late ~2002ish so i'd love to know as well. Anyone got some good stories, old screenshots? Or even controversy!!!???

· Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
haha, a history lesson? i just want someone like Pete or Lewpy to come back in here, Pete talking about Pete's TNT plugin that he made back for his TNT, or Lewpy talking about the start of his Glide plugin...

as for me, i first discovered PSX emulation in april 2003. no joke. i was pretty late to the party.

· <font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
well, i dont remember exactly when i discovered PSX emulation, it all started when my PSX's lense went broken so i went looking for "alternatives", somehow i ended up with bleem and psemu pro, bleem was god damn slow so i went to look for another thingy, ended up with VGS as psemu pro i didnt know how to configure back then, i remember i had a TNT2 32MB card which didnt like the TNT plugin and i went using pete's dx6 d3d plugin, and then figured fpse/pcsx were better for my needs (dunno when i went to epsxe thou) but throu epsxe i ended up here

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i discovered psx emulation in late 2003 but never took any notice as I thought it wud be impossible to have a ps1 game running on a pc. When i actually downloaded a bleem! demo in the summer of 2005 and saw the program running a game was when i started to discover emulation.

· <font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,456 Posts
The first PSX emulator was PSEmu Pro. It didn't live too long but it's plugin system was passed to future PSX emulators which saw the light later on such as PCSX and ePSXe. Bleem! and VGS came soon afterwards but were eventually discontinued after Sony lawsuits. As for plugin writers, Pete started writing his PSX GPU plugins after he saw how good Lewpy's plugin was on voodoo cards ( AFAIK anyways :) ) . Other PSX emulators worth mentioning are PCSinex ( sp? - by psychojack ), FPSX and AdriPSX. I don't remember where they fall in the timeline, but I am guessing somewhere between Bleem! and ePSXe. The last PSX emulator born was PSXeven.

Yours,
-E

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wasnt SSSPSX the last emulator born??
Anyway what year were the primary versions of psemu pro released?? Ive never tried this emulator myself and wud appreciate anything to show the sort of progress it made.

· Sword for hire...a Pro
433 Posts
this is how i found out about emulation
it was early 1999
i REALLY wanted to re-play shining force 2 ,
but my sega gensis broke few years ago :cry:
my freind came 2 me with few nes games and nes emu
after having some fun with mario,
i began to wonder if there are more of those
games people call "Roms" ,:laugh:
in middle of 1999, i found shining force and gensis emu "Genecyst ",
i played those gensis games like mad man, :nod:
some months later ,me and my freinds went to local arcade
and then my life changed,
i wonder what would happen if i stayed home :rolleyes:
i saw "The King Of Fighters 97" it was on 21inch monitor arcade machine
i was shocked then i decided to devote my life to find out how to play this amazing game on my PC.
later on i found neoragex and KOF97,98
i allmost had a heart attack from happyness :)
some time later one of my freind's gave me a website www.psxemu.com
well thats the story of my life , :D

· Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Actually it was NeoPSX, but it still hasn't gone ingame (at least as far as we know) But keep it up zenogais!

· Foundry/Foundation
11,824 Posts
First emu: Roadfighter MSX recompiled (sort of .EXE with rom built in), 1996
First real emu: VGB-DOS, 1997
First really enjoyable emu: fMSX-DOS, early 1998

:)

funny: I never had Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake on the real MSX; I played completely through it in fMSX-DOS in the summer of 1998.
That's 7 1/2 years ago now. Long enough for it to be retro ;)

· Registered
797 Posts
1998. First emulator I ever used was SMYGB, a Gameboy emulator. I think it was more fun back then for me too. I still remember using emus Genecyst for Megadrive. I still remember messing around with PSEmu Pro so that I could play Shadowman. It was fun, and I was thrilled when I was able to play it almost perfectly:emb:
I still remember how everyone went mad over the first N64 emu UltraHLE. I didnt have a voodoo card to use it though:laugh: I didnt really care for N64 emulation at the time, I was too busy drooling over being able to play my favorite master system games. I didnt have internet then either:lol:
But to think emulation has gone really far.
I dont have as much interest as before though.:p

· <font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
6,122 Posts
i think he was talking about it being the latest PSX emu :p

· Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
sonicfoot said:
I still remember using emus Genecyst for Megadrive.
Yeh i remember when i first used genecyst. it was shocking to see genesis games being played on a PC as i always thought u needed the cartridges to play them and had no idea what a ROM was :lol:
I think the thing that just astounded me the most about emulators in my early days was the fact that you could fit them on a floppy disc.

· Premium Member
8,394 Posts
lets see what i can remember....
Chrono Cross, the game which was a must for me to play, got me into psx emulation. first emus i came across were Bleem and CVGS. i was amazed at CVGS's compatibility but Bleem's graphic were much better. found ePSXe after and played with the configs so many times just to get that game running.

_E_: Psychojaks emu was Psinex... and he was working on a PS2 emulator near the end but he kinda vanished and never released it.

what else.... the famous ePSXiPC which had one of the biggest logo contest AFAIK and ended up being a hack of ePSXe...

cant remember more then that

· Registered
908 Posts
well i first started also with psemu Pro and laters bleem. But to play a game through i used ePSXe.
BTW: zenogais NeoPSX is closed down by him, yet u may use his source which is an incredible gift.
Also in the japanese area theres still a lot of PSX dev. like Xebra.
I bet if the Xebra knowledge would be translated into english this could give a good base for futher PSX Emu dev. , but lets see what 2006 will bring :)
wbr Shin Gouki

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.