Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to be so up with the latest news, emu's and games but for a number of reasons, my life got real busy and I missed out the last few years of emulation so have a quick few questions to start with.

How is the Dreamcast scene in terms of compatibility? Has it reached the level that the N64 was approaching?

How about Mame? I've seen the news post here that Tekken works so are more and more 3D games working now? Probably a long shot, but how about Run'N'Gun 2?

I noticed some Gamecube/Wii emu clips on YouTube, is it early days? And what system specs are required?

Same for PS2?

Lastly (for now) I am building a Media Centre PC to go with my big screen tv in the living room and was wondering if all/any emu's have a UI/front end that shows a pic of the title as you mouse hover over it.
I think I remember seeing that in Mame and on a couple of emu's on the original Xbox. If anyone knows which one's can do it that would be great!

Oh yeah and, it's great to be back! Can't believe I had an old account here that I could locate through the forgot password link ;)

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
screw mame. forget it now. 3D games being playable on mame will not be happening this century.

N64 hit a development wall, theres still opcodes and stuff that are not emulatable.....

DC is only as good as the emulator you use... but you still need a bios and stuff

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Dreamcast went through a boom thanks to drKIIRaziel with nullDC and Deunan with Makaron. Both emulators have incredibly high amounts of compatibility and have gone as far as to incorporate Naomi arcade emulation. Hardware requirements are surprisingly low (an Athlon 3000+ will get good speed with most games).

Gamecube and Wii have gone through rapid development with dolphin and have seen major speed and compatibility increases, no longer do we require to have a 64bit OS to run Smash Bros Melee. Core 2 Duo's would be sufficient to see good speed.

PS2 has seen compatibility increase and major speed increases (as long as you have a Core 2 Duo at 4ghz for 3D games) and games are looking very very nice on the emu thanks to the increase of resolution for titles.

As for emulators having UI/frontends with image support of game covers/etc dolphin supports this feature somewhat but the majority do not. Frontends such as @ES and Hyperspin have come along and are brilliant for incorporating such features.

·
Banned
2,548 Posts
screw mame. forget it now. 3D games being playable on mame will not be happening this century.
Or next century. MESS however, is much nicer compared to that tripe.

N64 hit a development wall, theres still opcodes and stuff that are not emulatable.....
That is not quite true. Pretty much most of the r4300i stuff is documented. RDP stuff is still a mystery (coverage, etc.), RSP stuff is decent. But yes, HLE is *starting* to show its age. And no, cycle accurate N64 emulation for all chips ain't gonna happen anytime soon, so forget that, theres zero point going that far.

But yes. A emulator like pSX for Nintendo 64 is whats really needed: I'm starting to think plugins suck.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, thanks guys! Much appreciated! Looks like I have a lot of catching up and testing to do!! Once I get it all set up I'll post some pics :)

Oh and one reason I am back is that my wife-to-be actually enjoys games too ;)

·
Registered SuperKyo
5,391 Posts
I noticed some Gamecube/Wii emu clips on YouTube, is it early days? And what system specs are required?
Dolphin (GC & Wii emulator) is really in early stages, but it plays a lot of Gamecube & Wii games perfectly. You're lucky to play Dolphin while you have Super Smash Bros. Brawl in 720p (unlike Wii's 480p). And system: the higher CPU you have - better ;)

·
Registered
7,407 Posts

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Well its true, she wouldn't have joined here if i hadn't asked her.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
Thats right cooliscool, I also find all this public love repulsive.
Exactly. Not only that, but it's a practice in absolute futility, which really goes to show just how much of a life squall has. Nearly every thread he visits, he feels it necessary to add something to do with "Squall and Irukapooka" (who live thousands of miles apart, mind you) in one way or another. Conversely, Irukapooka's meek about it all, which if squall were the same way, I'd have no issue with it all.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Exactly. Not only that, but it's a practice in absolute futility, which really goes to show just how much of a life squall has. Nearly every thread he visits, he feels it necessary to add something to do with "Squall and Irukapooka" (who live thousands of miles apart, mind you) in one way or another. Conversely, Irukapooka's meek about it all, which if squall were the same way, I'd have no issue with it all.
:rolleyes: grow/find a personality. Yours has lost the capability of having fun.

·
band
5,270 Posts
As long as its kept in the bin (which it mostly is I think), I have no problem with it. Afterall thats what we envisioned the bin to be at its resurrection; a place where people can be themselves.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
:rolleyes: grow/find a personality. Yours has lost the capability of having fun.
I'm capable of having fun, and if you weren't so incessant about it, it would pass as fun pretty easily.

Heh, you're one to talk about having fun, with your drug Nazism. ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.