Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible? I've several games that I can't install because they get cyclic redundancy errors during installation. I'm wondering wether there are disk drives that are better at reading damaged disks. Right now i have a first generation DVD drive and a TDK DVDRW 0404N. Are there any particular models that are good at getting by these annoying errors?

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
I used to own the 0404N, that black TDK 4x burner.:p Mine always had trouble ripping discs too, especially if they were DVD-R's being ripped to ISO. My brother has an LG and I just recently bought a Plextor 16x DL burner, and both can seem to rip just about ANYTHING!:D Also, your 1st gen drive could just be getting old.;)

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
get yourself a Disk Doctor to try and resurface the cd, its saved many a Dreamcast game for me, cos i use to treat them like crap ;p

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
Did you install new RAM recently? I had similar problems when I added 512M more RAM to my system - turned out the new chip was flaky, but there was enough non-flaky RAM to boot into the system and run it for a few hours (but I couldn't copy large files because I'd get a CRC error).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
generalplot said:
I used to own the 0404N, that black TDK 4x burner.:p Mine always had trouble ripping discs too, especially if they were DVD-R's being ripped to ISO.
It's not disk ripping its having trouble with, its intalling from them. I can make images and copy from the disks , but the copies still provoke the errors. It's quite infuriating when I've just inserted the 4th CD for a game and the entire installation is ruined because of a cyclic redundancy error at 98% completion. I'll look up that plextor though.

get yourself a Disk Doctor to try and resurface the cd, its saved many a Dreamcast game for me, cos i use to treat them like crap ;p
I'm pretty wary of disk cleaners since I've had nothing but bad experiences with them (ie not working at all) I'd rather trust a new and better drive.

Did you install new RAM recently? I had similar problems when I added 512M more RAM to my system - turned out the new chip was flaky, but there was enough non-flaky RAM to boot into the system and run it for a few hours (but I couldn't copy large files because I'd get a CRC error).
Interestingly I also added 512 more this August, however the errors have been happening long before that. I need a better disk drive.

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts
If youre having RAM problems, or suspecting, just run memtest (google for it, im just too lazy now).
It the best prog to test mem, u can burn it onto a cd, them boot from it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.