Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47989
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51765

These are my previous threds on the subject.

Since I wasnt getting my point across that the SRAM and FLASH save types are borked...

Here is a new test.

GoodGBA ROM MegaMan Battle Network (U) [!].gba [CRC32 1d347971]

This is a SRAM save type game.

When loading it as EEPROM the game starts. When I try to save I get Save Failed... message. But VBA saves a garbage SAV file to the disk anyway.
Export Save file works.

When loading it as EEPROM+Sensor the game starts. When I try to save I get Save Failed... message. But VBA saves a garbage SAV file to the disk anyway.
Export Save file works.

When loading it as FLASH the game starts. When I try to save I get Save Failed... message. VBA does not write a SAV file to disk.
Export Save file does not work.

When loading it as SRAM the game starts. When I try to save I get Save Complete! message this time. But VBA does NOT write a SAV file to disk, ever.
Export Save file does not work.

When loading it as Automatic the game starts. When I try to save I get Save Complete! message this time also. This time, VBA DOES write a SAV file to disk.
Export Save file DOES work.

Clearly, the battery saving for SRAM and FLASH are broke.

And in regards to my previous posts about Super Mario Advance 4...
the CRC32 of my ROM is a44ba79f

It Also does the same thing. Except this is a FLASH128 game.
Loading it as FLASH128 lets the game run. When I try to save it does so fine (no error). But VBA doesnt save any SAV files to disk, ever.
Loading it as Automatic128, the game runs, saves fine and VBA saves a SAV file to disk.

Trying to load as EEPROM, EEPROM+Sensor or SRAM result in a "Your save data is corrupted" screen and the game refuses to run. However, with the EEPROM types after closing VBA on the "Your save data is corrupted" screen it saves a zero filled 128k sav file.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgotten said:
Yes, I found the cause of this. I should be fixed in CVS soon.
I love you.

Also to quote my first post on this..

Also the initial battery RAM value should be 0xff instaead of 0x00. This will fix up Super Mario Advance 4's first run from the ugly "Reading... your Save Data is corrupted" to a nice "Formating...". And this is verified against a real cart.
Ive been also doing some playing around with ROMs that use SRAM and EEPROM save types and they seem to work the same on first run with a initial ave value of 0xff and 0x00. So itd prolly be safe to assume all gba games use a initial save value of 0xff instead of 0x00.

Oh, one more problem, when 'closing' roms vba still keeps the battery file loaded. For example, take Sonic Advance USA and JAPAN, (im starting them both with no battery file btw) Load up Sonic Advance USA, up comes the first run language select, choose a language then close the ROM. Then I open Sonic Advance JAPAN, I get no first run language select because its using the battery (not the actual file) from Sonic Advance USA because its still in VBA's memory. And this doesnt just apply to same games, if a battery is still in vba's memory and then load a entirely differnt game then the first one it may actually not reject the battery... resulting it much weirdness.
So, Im sure fixing the GBA initial flash battery save value to 0xFF instead 0x00 should be a quick fix. Flash types I know for sure (as i stated above) use 0xFF as initial value. The other types dont seem to care either way. (they may all be 0xFF).

And about VBA keeping battery files in memory even after closing ROMs... can this be fixed easily? or better yet, would you even bother to fix it?
I get the feeling this is going to stay like this for awhile. o well.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
All should be fixed soon. You will have to wait for kxu to make an official release at some time, but the CVS version will contain all the fixes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW!, Really.

so, did you set the initial battery to 0xFF for flash only or did you set it for all gba?

And when switching ROMs VBA will finally unload the battery from memory?

Damn. These bugs have been bothering me for the longest time.
So, when will the fixes be in CVS (I can't wait!)? Im not even going to even ask about a new official release.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks again. I managed to get everything installed and it compiled fine.
And the bug fixes are working great. This helps alot.

I just got one last question, my CVS compilied VBA seems a little bit slower then the release VBA. why? I am a noob when it comes to these things. Im surprised I was able to get it to compile at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts