Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright, I'm making this thread because I'd like to know what are the best (but cheapest) Graphic Cards I can get to make Dolphin work.
Also, anyone else who wants to know can just look in here for it :p
I'd like to now 1 to 1000 or whatever, which are best cards and plugins and config people have or suggest.
I'm sorry if this post doesn't make sense :rolleyes:

I'm, as some people here might now, currently using
Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family as my graphics card, and also the config below in the pictures.

My configuration is this --
Code:
Graphics: Dolphin Direct3D9
DSP: Dolphin DSP-HLE Plugin
Pad: Dolphin KB/X360Pad
WIImote: Dolphin Wiimote Plugin

Computer States --
Code:
[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkOrange][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Intel(R) Pentium(R) 2 CPU 3.00GHz 3.00 GHz
I'm a 32bit [COLOR=#991616][U]operating system[/U][/COLOR] with alot of ram and speed.
Image--
[IMG]http://forums.ngemu.com/attachments/dolphin-discussion/204174d1243391538-dolphin-help-please-card-2.jpg[/IMG]
[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]

Plugins I have --
Code:
Plugin_VideoOGL.dll
Plugin_DSP_HLE.dll
Plugin_nJoy_SDL.dll
Plugin_DSP_LLE.dll
Plugin_PadSimple.dll
Plugin_Wiimote.dll
Plugin_VideoDX9.dll

Someone told me that I should buy a
i7 or Core2Duo with high GHz, 3.0GHz. But...I don't know what all that means. I can't decipher PC stuff that good yet, I just started this year :eyemove::lol:
If someone could help me a bit on what I should buy or upgrade, that would be nice of em.:dead:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a Geforce 8600gt, and it's cheap, also middle range card which is good. It can run Dolphin in high resolution almost without worrying about frame drop. Maybe there's another card you should buy, don't stick with my opinion only.

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

How much does it cost?
Is there anything else I should get as well?
Because everything I have is Intel...:heh:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Cost Effective:
ATI Radeon 4670 Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100255HDMI Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Geforce 9600gso: Newegg.com - XFX PVT96OS1S4 GeForce 9600 GSO Fatality Edition 768MB 192-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

ATI Radeon 4830Newegg.com - Open Box: ASUS EAH4830/HTDP/512MD3 Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

Geforce 9800 Newegg.com - MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC V2 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

The 4830 and 9800 are close in performance, as are the 9600gso and 4670.

Its an endless debate that will never die, no manufacturer is better than the other.
It boils down to what are you a bigger fan of because Intel / AMD fanboys will always claim "mine is better yadda yadda blah"

If you're going all-out on a video card, wait for the next generation of cards (save that money, buy a 4830 or 9800gt and wait for the next generation, because we should be seeing them soon).

As far as a processor- go for Intel Core I7, OR AMD Phenom 2.
Both are excellent processors, the Phenom 2 and Core I7 are equally matched just as the video cards i mentioned.

Both overclock excellently, and both are relatively inexpensive for a cost effective version, check around on newegg.

ATI / AMD - Intel / Nvidia, Whatever you choose remember this-- Clock speed > all in emulation. The new Phenom 2 will hit 4 ghz on air, and so will the I7. So its up to you to decide!.

·
Registered
289 Posts
a new graphic card will help, but best you'll get is 15fps in menu. Just get a new comp. It's not always about clockspeed. a 8ghz celeron on ln2 is still a failiure. clock for clock phenom 2 is still slower, just cheaper.

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Someone told me this :Radeon 7000 64M DDR V/D/vVO: is a graphics card. Is it?

That sure is alot of money....hm, if I just up and changed my card to something higher, would it still run my other Emulators and games?
Because, if I get a card that will only let me play one emulator, then that's a bummer.
oO:(
If I can still play the other emulators, then I might get a better card, or wait lol

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Yeah it's a video card, but it's a DX7 class card and only supports up to OpenGL 1.4. In some ways, you're better off with your Intel chip.

As you have an 845G chipset motherboard, that means you can only use AGP cards and on top of that you either have a Pentium 4 or Celeron CPU. You basically need a new system if you want to take full advantage of the current performance standards.

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

Aw, man, I'm screwed completely.
I have that card, but would it be wise and safe for me to switch to it from Intel? Or would me using Intel be better?

With the card, could I be able to play The legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Or Mario Sunshine?) with at least playable or decent enough speed? I won't mind
not having sound...

Would a Geforce MX4000 D128M work, or would a GeForce FX5500 D256M work? Because I have alot of GeForce, Intel, Radeon Graphic cards...

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
No, and the rest of your computer is far from capable as well. You'll need a whole new system for that.

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, and the rest of your computer is far from capable as well. You'll need a whole new system for that.

I've run GeForce before, it didn't mess anything up....I recently changed to this card because I thought it was better. But some nerd took advantage of me and dumbness I guess, and I lost money buying a bad card...
So, switching my Graphics card won't help either? What else would I have to change? My motherboard? lol

Or...were any of those things I listed even Graphic Cards? I'm pretty stupid in this department :drool::???::???:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Your CPU is a huge performance bottleneck. Upgrading to a worthwhile CPU requires a motherboard upgrade. Your CPU has a larger impact on overall performance in emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin.

I'm not saying the graphics card isn't important as it too can be a bottleneck in performance. Even so, you would need a new motherboard for a worthwhile graphics card upgrade. The few remaining AGP cards don't hold a candle compared to the currently available PCIe cards.

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your CPU is a huge performance bottleneck. Upgrading to a worthwhile CPU requires a motherboard upgrade. Your CPU has a larger impact on overall performance in emulators like PCSX2 and Dolphin.

I'm not saying the graphics card isn't important as it too can be a bottleneck in performance. Even so, you would need a new motherboard for a worthwhile graphics card upgrade. The few remaining AGP cards don't hold a candle compared to the currently available PCIe cards.

....what is the best Motherboard I can get to run Dolphin?
So, GeForce isn't going to help me one bit, is it?
What about an even bigger GeForce or Radeon?

Oh, and is there a way to check the Motherboard without taking the PC apart?

·
Registered
11 Posts
download CPU-Z and post the HTML Dump (the button is on the "About" tab)
did you take a look at the article I linked? the "Affordable All Rounder" is probably the cheapest you'll want to buy, and it should last a few years before you absolutely need to upgrade, even longer looking at your current system (thats a Pentium 2 processor, not a typo? do they even run that fast? havent seen one of those in ages)

·
Magitek Elite
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
download CPU-Z and post the HTML Dump (the button is on the "About" tab)
did you take a look at the article I linked? the "Affordable All Rounder" is probably the cheapest you'll want to buy, and it should last a few years before you absolutely need to upgrade, even longer looking at your current system (thats a Pentium 2 processor, not a typo? do they even run that fast? havent seen one of those in ages)

Um...hold on, downloading it lol
I'll edit this when I get it, kay?

But, ya know, I don't know anymore...It says Pentium 4 or something...:???:
I can't tell what means what...

Alright...

file:///C:/Users/Public/Desktop/cpuz.htm....

Did I do it right?

·
Registered
11 Posts
yea, that worked

your system specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 631 @ 3.0GHz, Socket 775 LGA
Motherboard: ASUS P5L-MX LGA 775 Intel 945G Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Memory: 2x1GB DDR2-667

it looks like it supports Core 2 Duo processors, still looking for a specific compatibility list
edit: http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/P5L-MX.html
it does have a PCI-E slot, so it should support newer video cards if you have a good enough power supply
can you open the side of your case and look for a sticker like this on the side of your power supply? (its usually in the top left corner of your case looking at the side that opens) tell me the model number if you can find it or just take a picture of the sticker

As you have an 845G chipset motherboard, that means you can only use AGP cards and on top of that you either have a Pentium 4 or Celeron CPU. You basically need a new system if you want to take full advantage of the current performance standards.
where are you getting that from? the CPU-Z and product pages say the northbridge is Intel 945G

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.