Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't have Photoshop, seeing as I can't afford it, I have to use Paint.net...

I'm trying to follow this tutorial: Make a video game website banner|Design a Website In Photoshop [Software Tutorials]|Advanced Photoshop Tutorial - Free Online Photoshop Tutorial | More Free photoshop tutorials,resources and news

I wanted to use this as a basic template, however there is a key tool missing to achieve this. That tool is the full featured blending option of Photoshop that Paint.net lacks.

I haven't been able to find a suitable plugin for Paint.net either to achieve this effect..

I've tried to gradient plugins, and a limited in comparison blending plugin to the full featured option that photoshop has.

Would anyone know of a plugin for paint.net to achive the exact effects of the blending tool in photoshop?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
First of all, most people that have Photoshop couldn't afford it, they pirated it; me included, but that's off the record.

Secondly, there are at least 4-5 experts on Photoshop at this forum(me included) who would do it for free anyway.

But as an answer to your question. Most people on the internet do the easiest thing; that being to either buy or pirate Photoshop and not put up with other editing software. If you honestly can't afford it and can pirate it but won't; that's your decision and I realize the forum doesn't support it anyway, but you might.

Do what you will do.

It's a win-lose situation.

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd rather stay legit, so if anyone knows of a plugin to achieve this in Paint.net it would be greatly appreciate.

I want to try my luck with finding an equivalent for Paint.Net if possible..

·
Registered
553 Posts
I'd rather stay legit, so if anyone knows of a plugin to achieve this in Paint.net it would be greatly appreciate.

I want to try my luck with finding an equivalent for Paint.Net if possible..
It'd be very hard to do something like that in Paint considering it doesn't have all of the capabilities of an advanced editing program like photoshop. Photoshop deals with different layers to make up the title you linked which I don't think paint can do. If one were to do something like this, your best bet would have to go with something like Adobe Photoshop

Your best alternative would be to use a program called 'Gimp':

GIMP - for Windows

Its free and its the closest thing to Photoshop you can use :thumb:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I actually like to use both Photoshop and GIMP. GIMP has some filters Photoshop doesn't, and while I'm sure there are some plugins for it for Photoshop, I'm too lazy to try and find them.:p On personal projects I prefer using GIMP because it eats up less system resources, anyway. So if you don't have Photoshop, I'd go with GIMP. I also tried Paint.net, but it's a pretty limited program compared to the other two.

And no, I didn't pirate Photoshop. My school sells it for a pretty massive discount to students.:p

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gimps interface is a bit confusing compared to Paint.net though which is why I really don't use it much..

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Gimps interface is a bit confusing compared to Paint.net though which is why I really don't use it much..
That I will give you. It's a pretty great app once you get to grips with it though.

My sig (although not great but meh) was created using Paint.NET for the background and then GIMP to make it a gif. You just have to screw around with it a bit to get used to it...well actually screw around with it a lot...I can still only do basic stuff XD.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Paint.NET is okay for basic image creation, however it sucks horribly for making stylized text. Don't know what I'd do without GIMP's "Alpha to Logo" filters. Of course, it's been a long time since I last used Paint.NET, so maybe things are better now.

Edit: Oh, and there's a plug-in for GIMP that makes it look like Photoshop somewhere if that's more your thing.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Tell me what you want and I'll do it. Plus, I may even add a little extra to spruce it up. I've been neglecting Photoshop lately and I need to caress her a little just to let her know that I still love her. I need to finish something for CKS too.

·
Mr. Technological
5,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks TCOS, I downloaded the trial of Photoshop and managed to come up with a basic template...

I still suck of course... :p

I'll let you know after I get some sleep, I'm shooting for something that looks appealing and stands out, easy on the eyes of course. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts