Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

· Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just took our fluffy cat to the vet today because she has been drinking a lot of water, eating a lot and losing weight.

Turns out she (Our cat) has diabetes.. :(

They are keeping her for a couple days to stabilize her blood sugar, but we'll have to administer insulin shots to her.

Normal blood sugar for a cat is 80 - 100 something, our cat had over 400 blood sugar. :cry:

I hope she'll do alright and be fine.

· Registered
3,106 Posts
think yourself lucky, my cat lost a leg and lived for a year.

· lazy shmupper
957 Posts
Well I lost one of my three cats last month, he was loosing weight periodically during these past two years. But his condition got worse since fall 08.
He lost his mind, just looking at an imaginary point in the air all day, started to **** on himself and to throw up almost every meal.
In the end he weighed almost nothing.

The vet couldn't find what the problem was and suggested a genetic anomaly affecting his organs.

I just can't stop to hate myself for waiting so long before asking for euthanasia. The poor guy must have suffered hell. He was 12 and looked just like Tacgnol.

:cry:

EDIT; do your best Xtreme2damax, cats are a divine species, they deserve our total dedication to their happiness.

· Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
11,526 Posts
Depends on the type of cat, as the way some of these animals have been subjected to heavy inbreeding, and naturally they develop genetic anomalies that cause such problems as diabetes, blindness, and other terrible conditions. It's the same with dogs, such as the British Bulldog cannot naturally give birth and must have a cesarean to get the pups out.

Which is why my previous two dogs were a mix breed. Never had any issues at all, lived to 15 and 17, whereas my Nan used to breed cats and they typically had major health issues and would not have long life expectancy.

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
^

Yep. Most people don't realize it, but pets like cats and dogs can get the same health problems humans can get. My dog for example has light arthritis in her right front paw. Gotta give her a tablet once a day to numb down the pain. I'm just glad it's not worse.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, kitty will be in our prayers! ;)

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
You know... you should tell us your cat's name. I mean, I know this is the internet, but I think it's safe.

· lazy shmupper
957 Posts
There IS a cat on my bed right now, watching in my direction... hopefully he can't read english.

Back on topic I totally approve what Snicko said about mixed breeds, they're really tough. I once had a persan cat, and a labrador dog too. Both were very fragile and didn't live long.

· Registered
10,973 Posts
Obviously Garfield, although my Sweeties parents have had Snowball, Sue, and now Mudgie who weighs (probably) ~40 lbs...

· ...and now they do.
21,673 Posts
Mudgie? That doesn't sound appealing at all... Not tasty sounding in the least.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.