Next Generation Emulation banner

Bad to do this?

689 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  I-Chan 
#1 ·
I use the opengl 2 plugin, and I have a ATI Radeon 9200SE... it makes ALL games run at a better speed, at 60fps, like they should, and it also makes Xenogears and FF7, mostly Xenogears in the burning villages and those other kinds of scenes that you need to change the settings for the openGL plugin, run around 4x faster (40fps is better than 10).
So, should I stop using my good plugin for openGL 2, even tho I don't use the pixel shading part of it, or should I continue using opengl 2 plugin to insure I get optimal speed for gaming.

#2 ·
experiment a little, and thing about your 'taste'
I've used Petes OGL 1.75 for those games, worked quite good, except those 'burning villages you mentioned (little slow down, but I think on OGL2 plug that slowdown could be much bigger) oh yeah, try the D3D 1.75 at highier resolutions, because I've heard D3D works better on ATi card (and also our, it could be said compareable cards aren't high end ones :) )

#3 ·
Then you probably have ogl 1.75 misconfigured. Try setting framebuffer textures to 0 and frambuffer access to 4, that will drag more power from the cpu and less from the card itself to draw that scenes. That's, more or less what opengl 2 is doing.

Anyway, if you tried both and ogl2 works better, just use it. Unless ogl2 starts working weird, it it performs better, there's nothing wrong with using it.

Edit: Kaneda, ati's opengl performance was terrible in the past, but nowadays cards and drivers perform as well if not better with ogl as with d3d. His card can and should take advatage of ogl plugins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.