Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just got myself a PS2 the other day .. and I wonder how can I backup my memory card ..
I see s 2 plugs that looks kinda like USB on the PS2slim ..
can I connect the PS2 to my PC and backup the saves from the memory card ?(Sony 8MB)

Is there some program that lets you do that ?
and .. what cables do I need ?

Thx in advance, Yair :)

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
You could setup a memorycard exploit to ftp your savegames over to your pc. Please dont ask about the memorycard exploit here, even though its not really illegal it is part of thoes 'grey' area sites which can lead to problems.

Retail methods such as a Gameshark or Action Replay Max will allow you to use thumb drives etc to copy over your saves. There are other methods im sure, but thoes are the most popular methods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read about those Action replay packs but they cost quite alot ..
also, why is it "illegal" ?
I mean .. why else did Sony put 2 USB plugs on the PS2slim ?
Ive got USB cable that I use to move data from my digital camera and DiskOnKey to the PC ... but I need male to male ...
cant I just view the stuff from my MemCard on my PC and just move the files in it ?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
yair23 said:
I read about those Action replay packs but they cost quite alot ..
also, why is it "illegal" ?
I mean .. why else did Sony put 2 USB plugs on the PS2slim ?
Ive got USB cable that I use to move data from my digital camera and DiskOnKey to the PC ... but I need male to male ...
cant I just view the stuff from my MemCard on my PC and just move the files in it ?
You can hook up a number of usb things to the ps2. HardDrives, EyeToy(web cam), Keyboards, Mice, Microphones etc.

No you cant just view your memcard on your pc unless you purchase thoes two retail products, or setup an ftp server on your ps2 or some other file transfer method with coders cable etc.

The memcard exploit(used to setup an ftp on your ps2) I talked about is in the 'grey' area because you need some way of booting a homebrew disc you make yourself. Since modchips are not discussed here we are not going to talk about this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and does Action Replay is legal ?
Ive got a PS2 slim .. (no chip) with original budokai3 collectors edition ...
and I sony memcard 8mb ...
all I want to do is to backup my saves incase I do something stupid and delete them or overwrite them by accident ..
isnt there a cheaper and easier way to do it ?
Can I get another MemCard and copy the content from memcard1 to memcard2 ? and vice versa ?

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
yeah, action replay is legal it's cheating devices, only modchips, slim tools + swap tricks and unofficial HDD are in 'gray' area... as Reichfuher already wrote, cheapest way is to set up ftp server on your ps2 console, but that requires instalation of exploit on memcard and after that for future use: one oryginal PSOne game :), but for furthere infos contact someone who knows something about it, or use google to find information.

Personally I back up my memcards on my PS2 HDD, which is unofficial and I can't say anything more about it here (if you PM me, or mail me than I can help)

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,720 Posts
Reichfuher said:
You can hook up a number of usb things to the ps2. HardDrives, EyeToy(web cam), Keyboards, Mice, Microphones etc.

No you cant just view your memcard on your pc unless you purchase thoes two retail products, or setup an ftp server on your ps2 or some other file transfer method with coders cable etc.

The memcard exploit(used to setup an ftp on your ps2) I talked about is in the 'grey' area because you need some way of booting a homebrew disc you make yourself. Since modchips are not discussed here we are not going to talk about this.
actually you can boot up stuff without modchips. I don't know how legal those methods are though (afaik not illegal like a mod chip). oh well ;)
Btw. I didn't know actionreplay/gameshark backup saves to an usb stick. Interesting :)

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Action Replay Max is an example, it not only backs up your memcard data but also can import saves (example: from gamesfaq.com) to your memcard :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm let say I have that action replay max .. is that a program or a device ?
if its a program I can just ask around people who has it ..
and how do I make FTP in my PS2?
I only have that console for about a week now .. 70006scph I guess ..
I only know how to run games .. and save them .. other than that ..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts