Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As the title says, I'm using Alcohol 120% to back-up my Sega Saturn collection. I'd like to know if there are any options I should select before making a disc image in order to make the best, most accurate SS rips. The following link is an image showing off the options available when using A120% to make a disc image.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Wow Alcohol 120%, I haven't used that since Jesus Christ walked the earth.

A120% was (is) a great piece of software don't get me wrong but I use ImgBurn these days to make backups of old PSX and Sega Saturn games and it's free compared to Alcohol and Nero.

Anyway, I saw in your picture that you're only showing the Disc Information tab and not the Reading Options tab. Post literally the same picture but with the Reading Options tab instead and oh don't choose Maximum as read speed, never ever. Always the lowest speed possible when reading and burning discs.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
Seconded, ImageBurn is easy to use and works just as well as any other program. Plus it's free :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Alcohol 120%, I haven't used that since Jesus Christ walked the earth.

A120% was (is) a great piece of software don't get me wrong but I use ImgBurn these days to make backups of old PSX and Sega Saturn games and it's free compared to Alcohol and Nero.

Anyway, I saw in your picture that you're only showing the Disc Information tab and not the Reading Options tab. Post literally the same picture but with the Reading Options tab instead and oh don't choose Maximum as read speed, never ever. Always the lowest speed possible when reading and burning discs.
You're right. Silly mistake of mine. I'll update the OP with the more appropriate link:

4x reading speed is still generally considered safe to rip at, right?

·
Registered
281 Posts
You're right. Silly mistake of mine. I'll update the OP with the more appropriate link:

4x reading speed is still generally considered safe to rip at, right?
Before we go into further detail I would like to ask if the purpose would be:

1. Mounting the rips with DAEMON Tools and then playing them with SSF

Or

2. Ripping, burning and playing the backups on a modded Sega Saturn console

If you intent to do option no. 1 I would say try every setting there is and see if the games work in SSF.
As I said earlier I haven't used Alcohol 120% in ages, 8 years to be exact and I can't even remember if you should use the option Read Sub-Channel Data or not.

I know it's probably required for PSX games but Sega Saturn?

If you choose option no. 2 then you need to know exactly which settings to take in order for the Saturn to read and play the games correctly.

I guess somebody who has this fresh in memory have to answer this. But in general 4x speed is probably alright, if your burner can take lower speeds then go lower by all means.

The lower reading and burning speeds the better backups it will produce.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't trust imageburn to get an accurate copy.
Well I have used ImgBurn for all my PC, PSX, Sega Saturn and PS2 games and I have played and completed them just fine.

What I don't trust is cheap CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burners and CD-R/DVD-R/Blu-Ray-R brands.
If you don't use the right high quality equipment it doesn't really matter which program you use, the backups/rips will suck anyway.

But that's just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts