Next Generation Emulation banner

back up mails...

2K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  Neojag 
#1 ·
ouch, 4 thread by me ;) i gotta slowdown here lolz...

anyway, now that im gonna format my comp can is there ayway to backup all my mails (outlook express 5) inbox and outbox incluided and my dial up connections?

#3 ·
I dunno if this stuff helps....
outlook express usually stores your mails in a path like this:
"C:\WINDOWS\APPLICATION DATA\IDENTITIES\{REG-KEY}\MICROSOFT\", you could just backup your files there and then import them later. Problem is if you have multiple users on you oulook so you'd have multiple reg-keys, and you'd have to figure out which one is your's.. :eek: I think address books are stored as ".WAB" files... you could try searching for your's then backing it up.. if not, then just export the address book as a ".WAB" file then import it again later:D

#7 ·
create a dummy identity and copy all of your mail-files to the directory of the new one, if it works, then you should be able to look at all your e-mails using the dummy identity....:D.

P.S. if you're upgrading to a newer OE version, then dont 4get to import your old mails instead of just copying them over the new one's..., just a precaution... u never know....
:emb:

#9 · (Edited)
here's the pic
translated it means "this procedure will export messages from outllok express to outlook or microsoft exchange"
this is bad URGHH kill kiLL KRUSH N KILL MICROSOOOOOOOFFFFTTTT!!!!!!!

edit: actually there's no need for the pic, just a box that comes out saying that ;)

#10 ·
Oops my bad. I've only ever used the address export so I assumed that the messages was the same. Anyways the address one can be exported as a text file and imported again. That will easily fit on a floppy. Just goto File ->export-> address book and select text file. To import it again file->import->other addess book and choose text file as the filetype.

As for messages now that I look closer you can export them as html files using file->save as and changing the files of type from .eml to.html.

#17 ·
basicly because i exchance lotsa comic and neat stuff w/ a friend of mine, i like to keep the mails as a reminder :) when i have nuthin to do, i go and review them! like "A Enciclopédia dos Cebola Mol em fasciculos" ;)

btw, the mails arent at OE's directory and i exported the adress book ;)

#21 ·
has no one heard of the Knowledge base or does everyone just hate it (or microsoft.com in general)?
sure it doesn't answer all the questions but it still answers a lot.

btw i just did exact same thing; reformat hd so had to backup everyting, was using OE6.

so anyways the knowledge base number is Q270670

in case you wanted to backup icq as well, i found "backicq" (for the registry) and "cen's icq backup" (all the other files) quite helpful

as for the address book, if you export to text file as betamax (and knowledge base) suggests, you will lose the groups.
just search for the .wab file and save it. after you install OE, your new address book is created, just replace the new one with the saved one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.