Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
I disagree. It's only for lazy arses :p besides, it makes the keyboard look kinda...ugly IMO.

Yours,
-Elly

·
~Dgurion~
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I find really cool, because you can use it for many different languages. Since I have to sometimes type in Russian (Cyrillic) I had to go out and buy special stickers for my keyboard.

·
Familiar Face
4,971 Posts
I like the edonkey button :D

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,357 Posts
Dgurion said:
Well, I find really cool, because you can use it for many different languages. Since I have to sometimes type in Russian (Cyrillic) I had to go out and buy special stickers for my keyboard.
ah gomen. I was only commenting on the interent explorer/emule buttons ;p Customisable buttons are always a plus.

Yours,
-Elly

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
I love it! It would make editing video and pictures so much easier, and scripting things. I also love that you could make it basically anything you want. The only concern I have is with its lifespan. I want something that will last a long time. Only problem I see is the enter key is in a weird position, but that can be fixed by putting it wherever you want :evil:

Edit: OMG!!, d00d!!, My Dream! I could accualy do this! OLOLOL!!!!! w00t!!

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
That's a cool keyboard, you could easily see what button does which in a game without having to remember, and you could switch from QWERTY to Dvorak without having two seperate keyboards.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
You can also set it up to scramble the letters on the keyboard or display certain messages if you want to lock your computer with a password or something

Is that a LCD panel in each key or a OLED array?

·
Registered
416 Posts
i would prefer an anime-ascii-smilie keyboard ^-^

............................,d888888888b,
.........................,dP"'................`"Qb,
............,d88buP"............................."Qud88b,
.............dP".....8'............................`8....."Qb
...........dP".....::8.._.:[email protected];.._..;@..:._..8::....."Qb
..........,8'......::dP"...........` '............."Qb::.......`8,
..........dP....:::8(...........`–^–'.............)8:::.....Qb
..........8'......::::"Qba,.....,......,......,adP"::::......`8
.........,8..........::::::,p`""..............""'q,::::::...........8,
........,d'..........:::::,d'......................`b,:::::...........`b,
.......,d'...........:::::d'........................`b::::::...........`b,
......,d'....q888q8b,......,p.......q,......,d8p888p.......`b,
.......d'..d",.....;....`b,...8,.........,8...,d'....;......,"b......`b
.....,8....8.`.....`.....b,.....`b,..,d'.....,d'.....'......'.8........8,'
..../.q,....`b,..........`b..a88a..a88a..d'...........,d'........,p
..`q,......`b,.............8.......8.8.......8............,d".........,p'
....`"Q888`b,.....`Q888P"."Q888P'........,d'888P"'
.................."Q88P"........................"Q88P"

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I love it! This idea is so diverse. Like when you're using an emulator you could make particular keys take the icons of the real buttons. With a bit of tweaking you could probably animate the keys so they change colour when you press them and you could even change the colour of your keyboard to match your wallpaper :p. Very nifty indeed... though I would have to question the feel of it.

My thanks go to the Dgurion though, it looks like I just figured out what I wanted for my birthday :p.

Edit:... when does this baby hit the shelves?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Awsome keyboard, hopefully it does see production.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
oO man u gotta love that photoshop layout :eek: That would be very very usefull

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
They must atleast have a prototype, otherwise they wouldn't be eligible for a patent.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
First Look: The Optimus Keyboard

Author: Alex Petraglia

Date: Friday, July 15, 2005

When a Russian design firm broke the news of its OLED keyboard on Thursday, July 14, geeks everywhere were tickled with delight. Rather than tradition keys that feature printed characters, each key on the Optimus keyboard contains a small OLED display that can be set to display whatever the user requires. Want to seamlessly switch between English and Chinese characters? Go from Photoshop shortcuts to Quake inputs in a flash? Art. Lebedev, the company behind the Optimus keyboard, is the biggest design firm in Russia, with work in website promotion, corporate identities, and product design. We chatted with its founder and director of development for the Optimus, Artemy Lebedev, to get some answers to everyone’s most burning questions.

Primotech: First off, thanks for taking the time to speak with us. The biggest concern that was raised yesterday was whether or not this product will ever see the light of day. Can you allay those fears?

Artemy Lebedv: We're in the process of negotiations with several technology providers and manufacturers.

PT: Any names for manufacturers? If not, can you tell me if they'd be Russian and/or American?

AL: As of now we are going to produce it under our own brand, Art. Lebedev. No doubt manufacturing will be in China or Korea.

[Ed.- To clarify the difference between these first two questions, as of now, the company will hold the rights to the keyboard (as opposed to selling the design) and have it produced by another company overseas]

PT: How is the display of characters handled? Does the board come equipped with built in icons? Are packages downloaded over time?

AL: We've thought about the first "open-source keyboard". There will be an SDK and some user "keyboard studio" application which will allow keyboard to be customized for any mode or application in any way imaginable, from DVORAK to arranging letters in alphabetical order.

PT: In addition to handling the external design, is your company working on the wiring, electronics, and schematics as well?

AL: We do the industrial design and interface engineering on our part. These two are of our specialties.

PT: Will it be wireless, Bluetooth, or USB only?

AL: USB 2.0 for sure…FireWire - probably. Possibly it will have an external power supply. No need for Bluetooth.

PT: Any word on Windows, Mac OS, and Linux compatibility?

AL: I see no reason to make keyboard OS-dependant. As you can see from the current layout we have enough keys for Win or Mac control keys. As well, we made the keyboard several keys larger than usual QWERTY to comfortable fit all the Cyrillic letters (there are 33 of them).

PT: Will it be geared more to industry at first or consumers?

AL: We were keeping in mind typesetting professionals first. But without forgetting all kind of users, especially gamers. It will also be of great use to sound and movie pros.

PT: What kind of material is the Optimus made out of?

AL: The body is aluminum-wrapped.

PT: How long has the Optimus been in design?

AL: About a year.

PT: Any approximations on cost yet?

AL: I can hardly imagine it to be less than $200 to $300 (USD). Sounds like a lot for a keyboard, but most modern mobile phones cost about that.

PT: And a release date?

AL: Hopefully our keyboard will show the light in a year or so.
$200-$300? that's alot for a keyboard with OLED panels in the keys

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
I'd still buy it :lol:.

But another year... I guess I'll have to go with a backlit keyboard for now.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
if all the buttons were led and could be programmed for any function and character. THAT, WOULD, ROCK. Just imagine you could have like a winamp plugin that made your keys light up or you could readjust your characters for other languages. there are so many possibilities. it would be a pc modders ultimate keyboard.

edit: OMG it does do all that. hot-dog. im getting one of these (price-depending) as soon as it comes out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts