Awesome config, MGS, OpenGL2 (ATI)

Graphics:

Plugin: Pete's OpenGL2 Driver 2.6
Author: Pete Bernert
Card vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
GFX card: RADEON 9800 Pro x86/SSE2

Resolution/Color:
- 1280x1024 Fullscreen - NO desktop changing
- Internal X resolution: 1 (2 if you use nVidia)
- Internal Y resolution: 2
- Keep psx aspect ratio: off
- No render-to-texture: off

- Filtering: 0 (Don't use filtering, you'll get glitches)
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- TexWin pixel shader: off
- VRam size: 128 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limitation: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 1
- Framebuffer effects: 2
- Framebuffer uploads: 1

Misc:
- Scanlines: off
- Mdec filter: on
- Screen filtering: on
- Shader effects: 3/4 (Pseudo Median w/o Luminiac)
- Flicker-fix border size: 0
- GF4/XP crash fix: off
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

Sound:

Audio Device:
Direct Sound
Buffer Size: about 35

Audio Out Method:
SPUasync (very important!!)
Async mode: Smooth

Special Game Fix:
Wait CPU action

Note for nVidia-users: Never ever use shaders!!!

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
hmm, i shall definitely try this later (it's 6:20 AM here, i dont feel like testing PSX emulation :p ) but good job. i'll try out your settings for Eternal as well, my last bunch of settings were good, but maybe you can give me an improvement ;)

PS: scanlines?? what the..?

PPS: i dont think ill be using shaders, FX cards do shaders hella slow and plus it makes it look a little too blurry for my tastes. anywho my main concern is that the game looks good and runs SMOOTH, which is a problem i've had with OGL2....ok i'll test it later, right now i'm just speculating :p

·
Go-player 15 kyu ^^
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've found out that scanlines make the screen look really smooth. I like it though, somebody doesn't. (Mostly doesn't...)
Since you have GeForce FX, you should just use very high X. Awesome graphics! You shouldn't have any problems with speed. I manage 200-250 FPS or so...
Think your 5600 should handle it.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
man...i spent a long time messing with it. my problems are:

1. the game just...feels....slow. it;s at constant 59.9 fps, but when i run around it feels crappy.
2. the sound hella skips in FMVs, and so does the video. actually i think the first one causes the second one (due to SPUasync?). i have no idea why it does this, i can unlimit FPS and have it play at 120+ FPS (i made an ISO for it too).
3. i prefer filtered graphics using OGL2. the best settings are anything BUT 1, 3, and 5. 0, 2, 4, and 6 seem to be the best.

however, the codec conversations are nice, the graphics look good, i just wish i could fix my same reoccurring problem...

on a side note, the time i played MGS the best was with my voodoo2 and lewpy's plugin..man, pure ecstasy irght there :D

·
Go-player 15 kyu ^^
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1. I think MGS feels slow on the PSX too. At least it does on the PAL version.
I think...
2. Weird.. The sound here is perfect!?? oO Do you use savestates? Savestates cause ePSXe to crash or chop around in MGS... Always in FMVs.. Crappy sound and such.
3. For GeForce FX, filtered graphics is probably the best? ;)

Lewpy's are still the best!

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
could anyone put screens of MGS in those setting please? :) I'd like to see it

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
TheMaister:

1. MGS feels fast for me on PSX, it's quick and no "lag". on this it feels slow and laggy, it's so weird oO
2. i dunno dude i used the same settings as you, and i definitely have enough of a CPU to run SPUasync...
3. filtered graphics look good to me, it's a matter of preference though. personally i think the unfiltered, natural graphics of Lewpy's look the best, so....

Kaneda: i'll get on it when i come home from school. loaded up with filtering and all the pretties, of course ;)

·
Premium Member
6,283 Posts
1: enable PC fps calculation special game fix
2: this is a problem with 1.6.0, works fine in 1.5.2

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Raziel said:
1: enable PC fps calculation special game fix
That does fix the slowness problem. But I don't think pete put that fix into his OGL2 plugin. It is in his OGL/d3d plugin though. I've talked about that slowness bug for a while since the introduction of epsxe and other psx emulators. Almost all of which seem to have the slowness bug of MGS except for PSinex which seems to run MGS at the correct speed without a need for the fix. Lewpys glide plugin also had a special FPS limiter mode called "Hybrid" which worked the best for MGS. It fixed the slowness bug during gameplay, and also fixed the the mdecs going too fast when you enable "PC FPS Calc" on petes OGL/d3d plugins. Lewpy needs to share that bit of info with pete me thinks. ;)

If you've ever played MGS on a real psx, you will notice the slowness quite easily. I've beaten the game on the real psx multiple times and also on epsxe multiple times. YOu can also use the ingame menu options to enable/disable the "PC fps calc" fix during actual gameplay and you will notice it as well.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
I have experienced this 'slowness' problem as well, but not in MGS. The only game, that I can recall, that does this is Tekken 3, where it feels sluggish and sound chops alot.

Concerning MGS, the settings that TheMaister gave are fine, but i'd suggest changing the sound plugin with P.E.Op.S. DSound Audio Driver 1.9, cause it fixes any sound problems...sounds amazing, and no chopping/skipping whatsoever.

r2rX :D

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It's just way too blurry. I couldn't stand playing a game that looks so blurry.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
then turn off all filtering, screen smoothing, shaders, and even the filter. hell, use Lewpy's plugin...sharp as a tack :D

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Or ... Just use OpenGL 1.75 :D :thumb:

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
heh, that's true. one thing i love about OGL1.75 is that it has PC FPS calculation...that helps out in a few games (like Rage Racer, for example).

·
RPG n00b guru
86 Posts
Hm... I'll have to try this out on OGL2... unfortunately, I don't have a lot of room on my hard drive, so I'll have to try using a CD. Since I've never actually used a CD plugin before, I'm gonna mess around with some of the top ones in the download sections, but if anyone has some specific ideas, I'd like to hear them

·
Registered
2 Posts
help!

well dis is my first time posting, i have a problem wit my epsxemulator,everytime i try to configure the video,sound,and cdrom, it says dat the WNASP132.dll file isnt found. i downloaded da emu twice and still, so now im here, if anyone could help me out ther i would grealty appreciate it....

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Xabora said:
Actually... I'm using the shaders without any probs on my Geforce FX 5900 :p
well, your 5900 is actually fast enough to run them (my 5600 runs a few of them, most of them too slow). some of them plain dont work (or look REALLY screwed up for me), i dont know if thats for the 5600 or all FX cards in general.

SkAv said:
well dis is my first time posting, i have a problem wit my epsxemulator,everytime i try to configure the video,sound,and cdrom, it says dat the WNASP132.dll file isnt found. i downloaded da emu twice and still, so now im here, if anyone could help me out ther i would grealty appreciate it....
hm, are you using windows 2000 or XP? use something like Peops or Sapu's CDR plugins and selected the IOCTL reading. either that or download ForceASPI and install it.

·
Go-player 15 kyu ^^
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OpenGL 1.75 shows real glitchy cut-scenes... And it shows glitches some other places too.
The lower resolution you use, the blurrier it gets. If you use 640x480 or something like that, it gets really blurry...
No one force you to use shaders. It's up to you! ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts