Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I start saying anything , I must first thank the staff behind our place for there efforts .

Now , let's play some logic games :)
1)Admins made the rules .
2)Spamming/posting adult topics/insulting/etc. are against rules .
3)Admins don't do these .

Therefore Admins follow rules even they are the ones who've made it .
Now when we look at the avatar/signature thing . There are some limits to us normal members .
But on the same time the admins are breaking these limits . Even some of them are the ones punishing the members exceeding the limits .

I'm not asking for raising the limits of avatars and signatures sizes or dimensions , I'm just asking our staff to be a good example for the members by following their own rules .

Thank you very much .

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I only noticed it once that I found an avatar to appear bigger than average... Not that it bothered me since it wasn't annoyingly big, and I'm on adsl...

·
Banned
118 Posts
Liberate Offsite Avatar Linking now!!! We want freedom!

But really, I would say 120x120 is a more appropriate size for regular users. But then again, the admins have ultimate and supreme power, they do what they wish. Adapt or be cooked, from personal experience :(

Anyway, I agree with the problem. It must be resolved, although I see no evidence of it. And images in sigs really aren't necessary, as are sigs themselves, but 100 pixels in height for a sig Image is enough for anyone, man.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
This has been discussed many many many times before and the end conclusion everytime is that the admin team gets certain perks for being admins and doing this job in their free time.

Another thing is the Rules and Guidelines do not cover avatar size and the only aspect of the avatars that are covered by the rules and guidelines are the actual content of our avatars, not the size. The size of our avatars is controlled by the forum settings and really doesn't have anything to do with rules or guidelines (which caused confusion when the size of signatures was an issue .. but that is another story).

The bottom line is that it's a perk of being an admin and some admins expect you to see it as a reward for their work which is done in their free time without any real incentive.

For me I feel as though being an admin is a volunteer thing and not to be mistaken for a job. I feel admins should lead by example and should set the standard .. but this goes back to the rules and guidelines thing since avatar size is not a rule issue since it is already controlled by the forums. So in reality they are just bypassing the forum settings or have differents settings and privaledges for being admins .. so no rules are actually being broken.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And so we find that this isn't written in rules yet the "forums settings" are applied on members and not on admins !!! A secret rule ?

>>>The bottom line is that it's a perk of being an admin and some admins expect you to see it as a reward for their work which is done in their free time without any real incentive.

Actually they were posting as regular members in their free time aswell . And I thought being in the staff of this place is the best reward . Don't you agree ?

>>>For me I feel as though being an admin is a volunteer thing and not to be mistaken for a job. I feel admins should lead by example and should set the standard .

I must say I respect these words greatly .

Last thing : Admins shouldn't expect from members to think it's a reward . It's not because i refuse to consider it like that , on the contrary , the first thing i've said was that I respect their efforts . But in reality many would think it's not fair here .

Thank's for your attention .

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Yeah my reply was just to sum up what is usually said and how some admins feel. I doubt anything will change, and personally don't see it as a major issue. We have always had avatar rights and signature rights. If the issue was with them "taking" away rights and features from the members I could see a problem, but our setting, rights and features never changed so it never really effected us. Some admins have been using the larger avatar sizes for years including me when I was an admin. We use to also use colored text for our custom title which only an admin can do.

Basically I agree the admins should lead by example, but then again I don't see anyone doing anything that would be considered a major offense to us the regular members. I know you don't have any issues with their perfomance and neither do I. I think this current admin team is the best we have had. I just don't see it as a major issue that needs to be changed anytime soon.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
If you have a problem with me having a slightly oversize avatar, say it to me.
The limits are set like this so that people can have small animations in thier avatars. This means tyhe size limits are ~10k last time I checked. Now, back when we had 25kb limits we had a plethora of people with 25 kb avatas which could quite possibly have been compressed to ~5kb at most. A larger size is a problem twofold as it breaks up the forum 'flow' and because larger images need a larger size.
Now if you'll look, my avatar isn't even 5 kb, and it fits within the standard area. The oversize is perks, as has been mentioned before.
Now like I said, if you have a problem with this, raise it with myself or another admin, rather than posting a damned thread about it.
edit: apologies. I must have added an avatar to my folder without first 'vetting' it like I usualy do (take it down to 100x100 below 5kb) Situation fixed.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Perhaps he thought it was pertinent to address it publicly. I would have, as would alot of people.

As for my avatar, I had a bigger one about 96x96 less than 10kb, but it wouldn't let me upload to here, so I was forced to make a smaller dimension one. Whats the deal?

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Kane-Sama said:
If you have a problem with me having a slightly oversize avatar, say it to me.
The limits are set like this so that people can have small animations in thier avatars. This means tyhe size limits are ~10k last time I checked. Now, back when we had 25kb limits we had a plethora of people with 25 kb avatas which could quite possibly have been compressed to ~5kb at most. A larger size is a problem twofold as it breaks up the forum 'flow' and because larger images need a larger size.
Now if you'll look, my avatar isn't even 5 kb, and it fits within the standard area. The oversize is perks, as has been mentioned before.
Now like I said, if you have a problem with this, raise it with myself or another admin, rather than posting a damned thread about it.
edit: apologies. I must have added an avatar to my folder without first 'vetting' it like I usualy do (take it down to 100x100 below 5kb) Situation fixed.
Before the edit you made you were saying that
>>>The limits are set like this so that people can have small animations in thier avatars. This means tyhe size limits are ~10k last time I checked. Now, back when we had 25kb limits we had a plethora of people with 25 kb avatas which could quite possibly have been compressed to ~5kb at most. A larger size is a problem twofold as it breaks up the forum 'flow' and because larger images need a larger size.

Are you hinting that admins don't do mistakes while members do ? That they can break rules (but at the same time don't break them) ?
I never tried to offend you (staff) , btw . As you can see from my post , but :
>>>Now like I said, if you have a problem with this, raise it with myself or another admin, rather than posting a damned thread about it.

Thank you very much :) . It's not about me , I guess it's a problem many see .

Side note : Ppl don't check file sizes as much they can see higher res avatars . And thx for your edit .

·
Registered
134 Posts
Blade556 said:
Liberate Offsite Avatar Linking now!!! We want freedom!

But really, I would say 120x120 is a more appropriate size for regular users. But then again, the admins have ultimate and supreme power, they do what they wish. Adapt or be cooked, from personal experience :(

Anyway, I agree with the problem. It must be resolved, although I see no evidence of it. And images in sigs really aren't necessary, as are sigs themselves, but 100 pixels in height for a sig Image is enough for anyone, man.
/me Agree with you...

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,978 Posts
and this all matters....why? does it really matter about your avatar size, seriously? 85x85 isnt bad, so leave it alone. moderators get 90x90 (omg 5 more px across). admins get whatever they want. why bother about it?

and if you are bothering about it, it's like saying "hey! how come admins get to edit other people's posts and close threads??? why cant i do that??". one group has the privileges. deal with it. nothing wrong with a small avatar.

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
It's just part of the staff blueprint for me. It's about the same as having lots of silver stars and such. For me, i'm having a bigger avatar than before just because i'm allowed to, true :p but i wouldn't care having it smaller as before.

As said, bigger avatars/sigs will have an impact on data load to the servers. Bigger avatars mean more data to be sent on each page request, slowing down page loading, and increasing server load. Letting a reduced (less than 50?) group of users to have slitghly bigger avatars doesn't create a huge problem, letting everyone might. And, as stated before, my take about it it's the same as about the stars.

Anyway, Keith has a point when saying we should serve as an example. Will remember when making the next one :p

·
Registered
845 Posts
Esturk said:
I was happy with 65x65 avatar size and no sig's.:p
Me too :p

This thread is stupid. Don't question the rules that you aren't even fully aware of anyway, just enjoy the site and refrain from taking it so seriously.

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>>>(omg 5 more px across).

This 5 pixels are what making some pissed off :p . You can buy some love without them ya know .

>>>and if you are bothering about it, it's like saying "hey! how come admins get to edit other people's posts and close threads???

Are you serious ? This doesn't have to do anything within the topic ^_^

>>>deal with it. nothing wrong with a small avatar.

Well , as I said earlier , I wasn't complaining that our avatars were small . Actually your's are big :p . And since you think that's "nothing wrong with a small avatar." , why don't you have small avatar .

Don't tell me . There is something wrong with a small avatar !

>>>This thread is stupid .

What's with you , moomoomoo ? Is it something in me you don't like ? I didn't make anything wrong . Plus we already can see that others agree about the idea of this thread .

G

·
topics like this just piss me off, honestly.
Makes me want to change mine in a 200x200 avatar, and a 800x600 sig while I'm at it.

"oooh, he has bigger than me! no fair!"
bleh.

·
It’s Me .. I still Exist
1,224 Posts
Thought it was a dead issue on the 12th .. guess someone thought they should revive it :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Let's just drop it.... why care about having a slightly bigger avatar? If it's such a big problem to you, get some respect here at the forum and get yourself invited to be a moderator ;)

Edit:
I've found your solution: Just uncheck the box for the avatars ;) Now you don't have to bother about seeing any social differences amongst the members :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.