Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I've been lurking these forums for a while but decided I'd finally register and make my first post a (hopefully) good one.

This really should go in an emulation forum, but it doesn't concern one particular emulator or console, so I thought it would do okay here. If it doesn't, feel free to move it.

I've been a little emulator obsessed lately, trying to tweak out all of my favorite emulators perfectly so that they run fast, look good, and control well. After doing this and playing some of my favorite games I realized that the games I was playing now are not the same games I remember from years ago because of one thing: they aren't authentically displayed.

It was at this point that I decided I wanted to figure out how to configure all of my emulators to display the game as it was meant to be displayed when it was originally released, not enhanced in any way. It's my hope that some other people on the forum that share my yearning for authenticity will help me compile a list of what settings different emulators require so that they can resemble the original platform as closely as possible. This includes sound as well.

So far I've really only messed with Nestopia and ZSNES, as they have built in NTSC filters (thanks to Blargg) and seem to be widely considered the most faithful emulators of the two systems. Here's what I've found:

NEStopia:

Filter: NTSC
Field Merging: Auto
Scanlines: 50
Tuning: Auto
TV Aspect: Checked
16 bit
Memory Pool: Video
Palette: FirebrandX's palette
Brightness: 0.0
Saturation: 0.0
Contrast: 1.0
Hue: 0
Monitor Frequency: Auto
Screen Curvature: 0.0

ZSNES:

768x672
NTSC Filter
Blend Frames
Composite Preset

These settings seem to produce the most accurate representation of what I remember playing when I was a kid, but I could be wrong of course. If anyone has any tweaks they'd like to suggest, please let me know.

I haven't tried to tweak any other emulators yet (Genesis, PS1, N64, Gameboy...), as I'm pretty much at a loss of where to go from here. If anyone would like to help me build this authenticity guide, please do.

Thanks. :thumb:

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
if you want authentic display i suggest you get an old tube tv with an s-video in. then you get a video card with an s-video out. then run the emulaters in software rendered graphics without any sort of filters. that produces the most authentic picture.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
that won't work either. VGA Tvout displays in a different manner to a console AV/RF out.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
that won't work either. VGA Tvout displays in a different manner to a console AV/RF out.
there's only two things to consider on a tube TV. Resolution and refresh. i think so long as you output using the same resolution and refresh you should get an identical picture.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
if you want authentic display i suggest you get an old tube tv with an s-video in. then you get a video card with an s-video out. then run the emulaters in software rendered graphics without any sort of filters. that produces the most authentic picture.

Hmm....that's a good idea!

My video card has S-Video out, but I lack an old TV. =<

·
Banned
1,761 Posts
No. Best results are a real SNES/NES and real TV.

Nothing can beat that. There is no such thing as 100% perfect emulation. Not even MAME or BSNES come close (no offense).

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
The NTSC plugin exists for other emulators if your aim is to get that authentic look. AamirM made a version for his Sega Genesis emulator Regen. You can use it with Kega, his own TG-16 emulator, and any emulator that uses the Kega render plugin system, afaik. I believe it even works in VBA-M.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

I bought a 13" TV and an S-Video to Composite cable, and set my card to clone my monitor to the TV. Now whenever I want to play a game I run it full screen and it plays perfectly on the small TV. It looks exactly how I remember playing them when I was a kid, and I forget I'm even playing an emulator.

Thanks for the suggestion, it worked well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts