Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys get cd audio when playing games through ISO's? Specifically using the *.bin format done with cdrwin for parrapa the rapper.

Am I supposed to use DAemon tools or the epsxe open iso option?

Also, what is CDDA, ADPCM, XA in MDEC, and XA in game? I'm wondering what's what.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
CDDA= Compact Disc Digital Audio(I think)
It's the kind of music you hear in ordinary audio cds, and sometimes psx games store their music in this format. It's not very common, though.

·
Emu author
1,488 Posts
CD-DA - Rebook CD audio. You can play this in a CD player. Lossless wave files.

CD-XA - Phillips and Sony developed format, used in PSX games for compressed audio, is lossy. It's difficult to emulate, especially very speedily. ePSXe only emulates it partially (as does, I believe FPSE. The leaked beta of PSEmuPro seems to do a better job at it than both of these emulators, though..)

ADPCM - Refers to voices accelerated by the PSX SPU (because it is compressed in a lossless ADPCM format), usually sequenced audio (similar to MIDI), but sometimes not. (VAG audio refers to music stored in a sequence of VAG files, which is a file format for PSX voices)

XA audio is often encoded in a common compressed movie format (STR) that the PSX has hardware accelerated decompression for (for both the images (similar to JPEG) and the XA audio itself)...

Hope that helps.

- Exophase

1 - 6 of 6 Posts