Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well, I've stepped in as a committee member this year. I'll be looking forward to work with last year member's that are still here and this year new members.

Anyway, the purpose of this thread is for the people who are already able to see this forum and who are already active members to let the others know of it.

Also I would like to request somethings to our staff, so some things can go smoother:

- A staff member should be a member of the commitee, so that when we need something that needs administrative rights we can get it done quicker.

- Can someone return last year's planning threads so that the new members can get a quick idea of the way we did it last year and so?

Anyway, we are already short on time, so we have to get things moving. Here is our to do list.

- Brainstorm this year's awards. If anyone has any idea for a new award, or an award that should be scrapped its during this stage (2 days at most)

- Create the proto-award list (no pun intended :p) (1 day)

- Create a thread asking the members if they like our award proposal, if they thing that something should be added, etc. (3 days)

- Discuss the members ideas and define the final list (2 days)

- Open a thread for nomination (3-4 days, unless we are ahead of time)

- Gather avatars, signatures, threads, and posts as necessary into a thread like last year's.

- While the other things are going on, we should also discuss anything else that is necessary (define any prizes we will give for example. Despite how small they will be, they should be discussed at this stage. etc).

-Create the voting threads (1 day)

- Create the necessary board level announcement and necessary merchandising

-Open the thread for voting (a week or a little more)

-Get the votes, create the results thread, distribute prizes as necessary (1 day)

edit: active members of the committee so far:

TheCloudOfSmoke
Coolsvilleman
Proto
Hushy
Silenus
Miretank

[add-on] going to be active member for next year - fireblaster_lyz [/end of rant]

edit2: the categories so far:

Thread of the year
Post of the year
Member of the year
Staff member of the year
new member of the year
emu innovation of the year
sub-forum of the year
fanboy of the year
signature of the year
most helpful member of the year
desktop of the year
Artwork of the year

new categories proposed by the committee, but in the end not accepted:
game of the year
craziest member of the year

scrapped categories:
reporter of the year
irc'er of the year
nutter of the year
... and a whole lot of other ones

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow... I don't see much interest yet :p ... well I'll start by listing last year's awards:

Thread of the year
Post of the year
Member of the year
Staff member of the year
reporter of the year
ircer of the year
gentleman of the year
forum of the year
fanboy of the year
nutter of the year
signature of the year

I have a few ideas on some things we could introduce, but I need more feedback from the other committee members. So get out and reply wherever you are :p

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
Ok I was gonna wait till someone else posted but oh well:

we should toss out reporter of the year and IRCer of the year....those are going to be so empty.

And PCSX2 better not be nominated for emu innovation of the year, I swear.

What about new categories? Like new game of the year? or something.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
I notice that everything is hidden in this forum. I have to search the forum to actually find the previous threads to try to see how everything has been done in previous years.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
"forum of the year" should probably be changed to "sub-forum of the year" since forums.ngemu.com is the large forum and everything under it are technically sub-forums but thats just a minor thing.

I like all of last years awards though with "emu innovation of the year" PCSX2 is going to win hands down because not too many other emulators have been covered that well on the forums.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
I would say that pSX could be emu innovation of the year. It was first released in January of this year so it can fit in 2006 awards. Innovation is something new and PCSX2 has been out for some years now. The torch needs to be passed down to another emulator.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That's some of the things I've wanted to comment, to put some restrictions on how things must be nominated, and emu innovation of the year is one of those. However, we should be more specific so it can be understandable by everyone

I also vote for news poster and ircer of the year to be scrapped... last year they wasn't so much of a success.

Also, I am thinking that in the case of staff of the year contestants should go through the normal nomination process. The problem when we nominate the whole staff is that so much people who were pretty known on their days but that had barely any activity this year end up with almost no votes, which is nothing but sad... hence why I think we should include them in the nomination process

We should also introduce also some minimum number of nominees type restrictions, so that those polls with less than 4 people don't end up deserted

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Best Newest Member of the Year. (For those who signed up this year but have proved themselves to be productive and respectful forum members)
I agree with Hushy on the Game of the Year category, definately put that one in.

Sorry if I didn't suggest much as of now. I'll try to think of some more categories and post them here when I do.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I think maybe a "most helpful of the year" may be a good award since there have been alot of very friendly and overall helpful people on the forum.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
I was about to suggest that Coolsvilleman, but I took it out of my post at the last second right before I submitted it. I thought no one else would have thought that it was a good idea.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
I was about to suggest that Coolsvilleman, but I took it out of my post at the last second right before I submitted it. I thought no one else would have thought that it was a good idea.
Well this is the "suggestions" phase so as long as its not totally ridiculous any suggestion is good thought it may not get included at the end.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
I wasn't sure if the Gentleman of the Year, Most Helpful of the Year and Member of the Year would be too similar to each other. Seeing as how Member of the Year would most likely have the traits of being helpful and/or being a gentleman. It's not neccessarily true though. That's why I was unsure.

Another suggestion that I was thinking of was New Top Poster of 2006. This is not to encourage spamming at all. The ones nominated must have consistent and productive content in most if not all of their posts that they have made this year. There are a few members who have made many posts since they have signed up who's post's consist of only/mostly spam with little or no relevance to emulation. This is geared toward new members, since you can tell who has signed up this year since you can look under their avatar and see their sign up date and figure out how many posts that they've made this year. It's harder to tell the difference in posts made by older members and how much posts they've accumulated only this year. Again, this is only a suggestion and I'm not sure how other members of the committee would think about it.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@Flare: indeed :p

Another suggestion that I was thinking of was New Top Poster of 2006.
uh... wouldn't that fall somewhere between member of the year and new member of the year?

The categories as we have them now:

Thread of the year
Post of the year
Member of the year
Staff member of the year
new member of the year
gentleman of the year
sub-forum of the year
fanboy of the year
nutter of the year
signature of the year

new categories proposed by the committee:
game of the year
most helpful member of the year

scrapped categories:
reporter of the year
irc'er of the year

I wasn't sure if the Gentleman of the Year, Most Helpful of the Year and Member of the Year would be too similar to each other. Seeing as how Member of the Year would most likely have the traits of being helpful and/or being a gentleman. It's not neccessarily true though. That's why I was unsure.
You are right, we have had our share of member of the year recipients who were far, far from being gentlemans (Like a certain Ninja (member of the year 2002))

Most Helpful of the year is a nice idea indeed, since we could target mainly at those who take the time to answer questions in the emulation related sub-forums (and that way bring the attention of the normally apathetic members over there)

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Seems we have a tight schedule.
Sorry, wasn't online yesterday.

About the game of the year, I don't know, might be unfair 'cause people here or play rpgs or fps, IMO.

We could subdivide it into categories but it might make the list too long.

what do you think.

And what about awards, is it going to be implemented the cup or something in the avatar?

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
We should take out gentleman, fanboy, and nutter. Those are kind of worn out, they need a break. Member and Staff of the year are enough.

There could also be something else like weirdest or funniest member, something like that.

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Agree with you about that.
Most Helpful of the year is better for that.

Even if we haven't seen that, we have almost every aspect of the forum covered.

Thread of the year
Post of the year
Member of the year
Staff member of the year
new member of the year
gentleman of the year
sub-forum of the year
fanboy of the year
nutter of the year

They are general for the forums.

Here we have the gaming side.
game of the year

Here the pictures.
signature of the year

I think that what we miss is a category for groundbreaking pc part.
Maybe include range of cpus and video cards.

And now that we said game of the year, what about console of the year, all next gen consoles are out already.
What do you think?

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
How much time is left before the categories are finalized Proto?

The console of the year would work. Personally, I think it's going to be a tough decision between the Wii and the PS3. PS3 has the graphics but the Wii has more interactive gameplay. I would like to see what the forum members pick between the two. Most 1337 rig of the year might work too.

Where's everyone else at? I though General Plot signed more people up than this and they're nowhere to be found.

·
7,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
uh.... dunno, console of the year could open a can of worms and a console war amidts everything. Sure that could bolster our ratings but is it worth it? :p

Also, let's not forget we are primarely an emulation forum targeted towards a user community. While game of the year could be marginaly considered within this scope, starting to introduce awards for miscellaneous hardware and software would not.

Also, I agree with taking out fanboy and nutter, but input from the other c. members would be ok as to what they think of this. Gentleman of the year isn't that old since it was introduced last year, the only thing I can see is it becoming redundant with member and most helpful member of the year. What do the others think?

So what we are discussing right now is:

Scrapped cathegories?:

Nutter and fanboy of the year: 3 votes for them being scrapped
gentleman of the year: 2 votes for it being scrapped, 1 against.

Changed?:
Game of the year: 1 vote for it being refined, 1 vote for we leaving it as it is

Added?:

Console of the year: 1 for, 1 against

1 - 20 of 64 Posts