Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im not sure if this belongs here so move if needed lol

I was researching some DC stuff and came across this: http://www.coinopexpress.com/products/pcbs/atomiswave_system.html

This got my attention because it is made by the majority stock holder of Sega and then thought looking at the games it is a NEOGEO remake. But accroding to this quote from gamespot

"Amusement-machine giant Sammy is Sega's majority stockholder, and its president, Hajime Satomi, is Sega's chairman. This year, Sammy's new Atomiswave arcade platform will replace the veteran NeoGeo format. The NeoGeo also came in a home console version, which had a customer base fanatical enough to shell out hundreds of dollars per game--in other words, a proven (if small) market. The Atomiswave's hardware is even more compact than the NeoGeo's. Sammy has announced that Sega will focus on developing games for the Atomiswave. Could Sega's big announcement be a new, Sega-branded home console based on the Atomiswave? It could be, but it would be sort of redundant, because the Atomiswave is already based on Dreamcast hardware."

It is based on the DC hardware so was this an insight to what sega may have been planing to defeat the ps2 and xbox? Even though it is lacking in techspecs to the xbox and ps2 the few games that came out for this arcade jamma board look great and I think with a more power full processor and a bit of extra video this could have beaten them. The downfall of this is game board range in price from 200-1000 USD, maybe this price jump is because of them being rare?

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
That story is old news actually, I've read it quite a while ago I think. Can you give me a link to the gamespot story?

FYI, it's plain BS about a new Sega console ;)

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea. I know there wont be a Sega console for a long time if at all. This is old I know I was just curious about this because it is another "system" designed by DC team so it could have contained some parts of a alpha designed Dreamcast2.

Ill try to find the article if I can but it was a older one.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
I've been reading quite some stuff about DC today, including fanboy wars between PS2 fanboys and DC fanboys. And I don't mean the kind of fanboys such as KanedA going against me, but I'm talking about the ignorant ones :p

Now I am not familiar with the Atomiswave system, but from what I've read some thought that if they would've had more time with the DC they might have been able to get it to a next level, the one of Atomiswave. Now I can not confirm anything, so don't quote me on it, but those threads at other forums were interesting to read. And that one comment does make clear that the article you were quoting is BS, talking about the part of releasing a new Atomiswave based console.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.