Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys,
I'm buying a new motherboard, CPU and VGA. But I'm still havent made my final decision. I have already looked at a lot of benchmarks comparing both cpus but since 7750 BE is a quite new CPU, there's almost any videos on youtube to get an idea of performance I can get by using this processor. I've found some videos of 6000+ running dolphin but they are quite old (so the dolphin version too). So, I thought the best thing to know the real today speed I can get with these cpus would be asking for their owers.

Since I'm not interested in wasting much money, I prefer to stick with AMD but I accept sugestions about using other CPU/motherboard/RAM/wathever.

I know it won't be able to emulate everything, but I really would like to know how good (or bad) will I be able to run games (both gamecube and wii). My idea is to buy a new computer that can handle my normal work (a 2.2Ghz X2 is fine) but with a little U$ increase can be able to run dolphin at a decent/good speed.

These are the (probably) future system specs:
CPU: Atlhon 64 X2 6000+ @ stock or Atlhon X2 7750 BE @ stock or Atlhon X2 7750 BE @ 3.2Ghz or (aceppting sugestions!)
Cooler: (didn't make a final decision... maybe the stock cooler...)
Motherboard: probably M3A78-EM (780G chipset)
RAM: 2x1GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800
VGA: Sapphire or HIS Iceq 512MB GDDR3 HD4670
PSU: Corsair 520W HX520W - 80plus certified

I really would apreciatte a lot if you guys could help me with your opinions and maybe some fps results running dolphin.

(sorry for my bad english and for this long post)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
1. Don't go Athlon
2. Don't go ATI

Both are pretty bad for emulation
I know they're cheaper but;... it's the truth.

Honestly; it would be best to wait. Not only will better hardware get cheaper but more money always comes before less if you don't spend any.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. Don't go Athlon
2. Don't go ATI

Honestly; it would be best to wait. Not only will better hardware get cheaper but more money always comes before less if you don't spend any.
Yeah, I know that the Atlhon X2 series are very easily surpassed by the Core 2 Duo models. But my past motherboard is gone and now I need a new cpu and motherboard. I can't live and work without a computer lol. My idea is to get a mobo that can handle Phenom II X3 and X4 for future upgrades (when they get cheaper).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the results of this site are true, I guess overclocking the 7750 BE to 3.2Ghz could improve a lot the dolphin speed (the oced 7750 BE on the tests had performance comparable with E8200!):
AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE review

Also, this system running Naruto Shippuden EX3 with X2 6000+ looks nice:
YouTube - dolphin rev 2925 naruto shippuden: gekitou ninja taisen ex3

same system running SSBM:
YouTube - super smash bros melee on dolphin rev 2925

another system running Star Fox Assault:
YouTube - Dolphin rodando StarFox Assault (GC)

At general benchmarks that I've read states 7750 BE (2.7Ghz) being faster than 6000+ (3Ghz), but since dolphin is very core clock dependent, I don't know if 7750 BE @ 2.7Ghz would emulate faster.

·
Least Likely to Succeed
236 Posts
I'm sure you've got your reasons, but the fact is AMD has fallen behind Intel in the CPU market. AMD's current processors would've been a better answer to a high-end Core 2 (better than mine), and in the meantime Intel is rolling out newer chipsets. It's not simply a matter of clock speeds anymore, the internal architecture of the chip is a large factor these days.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
amd processors are good for emulation. pcsx2 has good speed hacks i get 50-60 fps on my 3ghz fx-62. and my ati 4850 is also good card aswell. i can make internal res really high with out slow down.

don't spread that fud.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm sure you've got your reasons, but the fact is AMD has fallen behind Intel in the CPU market. AMD's current processors would've been a better answer to a high-end Core 2 (better than mine), and in the meantime Intel is rolling out newer chipsets. It's not simply a matter of clock speeds anymore, the internal architecture of the chip is a large factor these days.
lol I know that. Core 2 Duo series are really rulling Atlhon 64 X2. They have better cache memory, smaller chips and are easily very overclockable. If I had a lot of money, probably would get a E8400 for me. That cpu can work at insane speeds.

But is like I said: I'm not buying a new computer to run dolphin. The idea is to buy a computer that allow me to do my daily tasks and, like a bonus, can also run some stuff at decent speed with dolphin (in other words, ).

amd processors are good for emulation. pcsx2 has good speed hacks i get 50-60 fps on my 3ghz fx-62. and my ati 4850 is also good card aswell. i can make internal res really high with out slow down.
That's good news. At which games you can get 50-60 fps? Using the OpenGL or a DirecX plugin? x86 or 64 bits Windows?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So you're listening to Dennis when someone who actually works on the emulator is giving you advice? :lol:
Well... at this case, I will give a new answer to your first post at this topic.

Originally Posted by Gossamer View Post
1. Don't go Athlon
2. Don't go ATI

When you say "they are pretty bad for emulation" you want to say:
1) Actual AMD processors (X2,X3,X4) have a very weak point at its cpu architeture (fpu, cache memory or maybe even a bad optimization for single task operations...)
or
2) In all AMD history, its processors never were good for (heavy) emulation due to some decision made by its engineers at its architeture.
or
3) Since most developers are using Intel, they are programming dolphin over the SSE4.1 instruction set while AMD cpu's don't have this instructions, just SSE4a.

I really like AMD. I'm not going to lie. But I don't have absolutely nothing against Intel (lol ok, I don't like Intel's IGP solution, but that's not the point). I mainly search for AMD cause it is cheaper.

lol... I'm almost 1 month searching the net for prices and benchmarks... I'm getting crazy lol. I was so happy with my old Geforce 6150 + X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz lol.

Phenoms are costing a lot of money and really good Core2Duo series too. I can't spend much money on a killer or, at least, very good system to emulate stuff.

Why u really don't suggest me an AMD cpu (even though I just want to emulate some stuff once in a while)? Is it a problem with the AMDs instruction set? Is that so horrible emulated? Or u suggest that thinking in upgrades cause I can maybe get an E8400 next year?

I was thinking in buy this cheap AMD system and maybe next year give it to my dad (cause he's still stuck at the Semprom 754 socket era) and buy a really decent system for me (like u said, the hardware required will be much lower priced next year). That's why I want a mobo with IGP (dad will need) and why I don't want to waste much money. He will just surf the internet and use Office. But, since X2 6000+ and 7750BE costs almost the same, I would like to know the difference of each other while emulating.

Anyway, which (cheap or not so cheap) motherboard+Intel CPU do you recommend me?

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
dolphin is SSE2 optimised... not 4.1

however, amd's current gen is just weak.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you can get a Phenom II, then go ahead, they're at great pirces now for its performance. Easily OC and small chips.

What is your current MB? Current RAM? If you already have a MB that support Phenom II CPU's and DDR2 RAM then you're done, you just have to upgrade the CPU.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you can get a Phenom II, then go ahead, they're at great pirces now for its performance. Easily OC and small chips.

What is your current MB? Current RAM? If you already have a MB that support Phenom II CPU's and DDR2 RAM then you're done, you just have to upgrade the CPU.
Current MB: broken Asus M2NPV-VM (AM2 support only)
Current CPU: Atlhon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz 89W (unsuported by my future mobo: M3A78-EM)
Current RAM: 2x512MB Corsair XMS 800 DDR2

What are you using to emulate dolhin and what results are you getting, kingfire?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Current MB: broken Asus M2NPV-VM (AM2 support only)
Current CPU: Atlhon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz 89W (unsuported by my future mobo: M3A78-EM)
Current RAM: 2x512MB Corsair XMS 800 DDR2

What are you using to emulate dolhin and what results are you getting, kingfire?
Well, unfortunately your MB doesn't support Phenom II, the cheaper/best solution for you is overclocking. Buy a good HS (20$-50$), OC your current cpu to 3.1ghz-3.3ghz and enjoy Dolphin at a great speed.

You may have to lap your CPU and the HS to get the best result, yeah it's a lot of trouble but it's worth it imo.

That's if your MB supports OC, if it doesn't, you have to buy a new PC I guess.

Don't upgrade your PC just for emulators, it's not worth it imo, the real consoles in most cases are still better and play all your games at full speed.

however, amd's current gen is just weak.
If you're talking about Phenom II in general uses then you're WRONG, AMD current line of cpu's are amazing, go read some reviews about how good the phenom II cpu's are, especially at their prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, unfortunately your MB doesn't support Phenom II, the cheaper/best solution for you is overclocking. Buy a good HS (20$-50$), OC your current cpu to 3.1ghz-3.3ghz and enjoy Dolphin at a great speed.

You may have to lap your CPU and the HS to get the best result, yeah it's a lot of trouble but it's worth it imo.

That's if your MB supports OC, if it doesn't, you have to buy a new PC I guess.

Don't upgrade your PC just for emulators, it's not worth it imo, the real consoles in most cases are still better and play all your games at full speed.
I'm not upgrading my PC just for emulators. My past mobo is broken and now I need to buy a new mobo. The mobo that I have choose is the M3A78-EM, but unfortunately is doesn't support my actual CPU (Atlhon 64 X2 4200+ 89W). I can buy an equal model for U$58 (X2 4200+ 2.2Ghz 65W without HSF) that is supported by my new mobo or I can invest a little more and get something like a X2 6000+ or X2 7750 BE for U$100 with AMD HSF.

Ps.: maybe u think the prices are odd, but they are good for Brazil... :/

What are your system specs, kingfire?

·
AKA snkmad
4,030 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Oh you're buying a new MB, go Intel then.
System specs:
AMD X2 4800+ @ 3.2 GHz(Lapped)
2x2GB DDR2 RAM 800
Gigabyte GA-MA78G-DS3H v2.0
Evga Geforce 8800GTS 512MB OC'ed
(since my board supports phenom II, I'll get a 940 BE soon!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Farofeiro, im in the same situation as yours. Heres my post: http://forums.ngemu.com/hardware-discussion/121530-e5200-vs-x2-3800-worthy-upgrade.html

But im not buying AMD again...after so many years.
Intel processors are just better, and since youll have to buy new Mobo and CPU, it would be best to invest in something better.
Mercadolivre is your friend ;)
omfg! U are from Fortaleza-CE too! lol
Dude, I've just read your post. Like I said before, I'm researching about what to do with my system and all benchmarks I have seen 7750 BE is a little better than E5200 but since u got mobo+CPU for only R$330 (U$150) thats very cheap!). I'm going to pay U$150 just for my new mobo (but it comes with a lot of fancy stuff hdmi, dvi, 7.1, blablabla. I will probably not use all this stuff, but helps to avoid huge mobo value drop with the passing time). And the prices I mentioned above are all from MercadoLivre!

Intel CPU's are really better than AMDs but if you are not going to OC them, I think is kinda of waste of money cause u usually can get an AMD equivalent for less money. But if you think about a future upgrade, it may be a good idea to get a 775 mobo. Just don't forget to check if your mobo is going to work with a future E7xxx or E8xxx to avoid more future upgrades. Also don't forget that different from AMDs architeture, Intel's cpus memory controller is located at the mobo. This means that a bad mobo will unable you to reach full speed with your cpu. AMD's memory controller is located inside the cpu.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.