Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ive got two 4850's running in crossfire and the performance difference in dolphin is amazing compared to my old 7600gt. Crossfire is using about 30% from each GPU so its not needed but im wondering why if i turn catalyst A.I to high i get much better frames per second in dolphin while only 30% of the gpu is being used?

I have a E6600 overclocked to 3.52Ghz running Windows 7.

Point of this thread was to say that a high end gpu does make alot of difference to performance in dolphin even though i have read differenly in the past on this forum.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Catalyst AI butchers graphic quality by enabling ridiculous optimizations, and that's why it speeds everything up. It's all a messy blur after you enable it tho.

·
Registered
378 Posts
but im wondering why if i turn catalyst A.I to high i get much better frames per second in dolphin while only 30% of the gpu is being used?
You're talking about setting it to "Advanced", right? New to ATi settings since a long time, "high" is not there.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
yeah advanced sorry

I also noticed that for me some games froze with my 7600gt but were playable with the 4850.
E.g Punch out
Super smash brothers brawl
and a couple of pthers others

·
Registered
382 Posts
Catalyst AI butchers graphic quality by enabling ridiculous optimizations, and that's why it speeds everything up. It's all a messy blur after you enable it tho.
Are you talking about Dolphin or games in general ?
Because in Dolphin, (and even games in general :p) there's no such thing as messy blur once you enable Catalyst AI, actually in Dolphin there's absolutely no difference on my comp...
not even framerate, so i'm wondering where did you get the "butchers graphic quality" part ?

so far i've noticed it boosts Framerate in Source Engine games, it did an OGL mipmap crash on Catalyst 9.3 (hopefully fixed since then :p) but nothing about graphic quality.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i do notice a slight degredation in graphics quality in PC games but its worth the extra frame boost in my opinion

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll clarify the catalyst AI option for the people that don't know who are running 2 Videocards or one of the X2 cards.
Catalyst AI off = Crossfire is disabled (one gpu is functional only)

Catalyst AI Standard = Crossfire is enabled by game detection (depending on the game, crossfire will work in an optimsed way such as Supertilling / Spit screen rendering or called scissor , and Alternative frame rendering) Crossfire may not be turned on at all if the game is unsuported., basically the driver checks the .exe file to see what game it is and use a profle that been created for it. You can rename a games .exe file also to force a game into running crossfire mode as well.

Catalyst AI Advanced= Forces any Direct3D game to run in Crossfire AFR mode (Alternative Frame Rendering, one gpu renders all even frames while the other renders all odd frames) The reason for this mode is for games that don't have a profile yet because their too new or old games that haven't been tested and added to crossfire profiles.
The thing about Dolphin is you can select OpenGL or Direct3d rend
er plugins but it should only work in DIrct3d but that is buggy from what I can tell

·
Registered
271 Posts
Catalyst AI brings the first blend of the mipmap closer to the screen, making everything blurrier, it's the exact oposite of anisotropic.

The first optimization it applies is a disgusting LOD adjustment that it's just fugly.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
im more likely to take Federelli's words on this over a 1 post wonder.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I swear it gives me a performance boost but then again it could be something else related to my other settings. Iv'e got 2 non-reference Gigabyte cards which are overclocked to 750/1200 mhz with voltages of 1.24 and 0.96 respectively, using Gamer Hud.

My eyes could be playing tricks on me but i believe the graphics look slightly blurier, or worse in PC games. Anyway the point of this topic was to ask wether Catalyst A.I could give a performance boost in dolphin, and judging from what Heeman_073 said i dont think it does/can?

·
Registered
271 Posts
If anything at all, the performance gain will be minimal, unnoticeable let's say.

·
Registered
2 Posts
That guy Federelli is right about the quality reduction when catalyst AI is set to STANDARD or ADVANCED in single GPU setups. With 2 videocards or X2 card I don't think the quality is reduced at all the AI serves a different function. With 2 GPUS there is no need to lower mipmap quality etc..you can do that manually in the driver settings..I know it's my second post, Im just trying to help..I have many posts on another fourm Rage 3D, that's where I hang out....:p
I love emulation...

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
Rage3D is full of idiots. sorry, its the truth. Anyone with any clue ditched that failzone a long time ago.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
i'll tell you how it goes with my 295 when i get it Gareth.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.