Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I using a GEXcube ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB card.

The problem is when I try to view DVDs on my PC, video corruption occurs. This also applies to 3D gaming whenever I play Half-Life 2 on my PC.

I also tried various ways and found one solution - By decreasing my hardware acceleration to second last notch. (However, I would not be able to play Half-Life 2 since I disabled its primary D3D/OGL functions and WGL extensions.)

What do you guys think?

·
Computer Nerd
162 Posts
you try diffent drivers. give omega drivers a try. you can get them at www.omegadrivers.net. though it sounds like you 9600xt is getting too hot or you card needs to be rma.

give another drivers a go first.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
RMA is when you send a product back to the company you bought it from for either a refund or exchange. That picture reminds me of my first two GeForce 6800 GT's and when I overclocked my old 9500 Pro's memory too much, although both experiences looked worse than that :p. What exactly is wrong with HL2? Does it display that same pattern?

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
My 9600XT looked like that when the RAM mysteriously went bad.. sent it back to ATi, they sent me a new one, and all is great now and has been for about 2 months. :)

You could check the fan on the GPU Heatsink to see if it's still running. Fans tend to die quite easily on videocards, so heat isn't out of the picture yet.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
I am having similar problems as well....disabling AGP acceleration via SMARTGART fixed it for the meantime

Going past to previous experiences, it might be your power supply and the amps on each voltage line. You can't get away with a cheap power supply for this problem, so an Antec power supply would be best.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
SMARTGART is teh 3vil, it did the same thing to my radeon 9500np, i believe that just might be your problem, which, it also did that when I overclocked the memory to much. Might check to see if you somehow got an overclocked card when you bought it.

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
Definately looks to me like problem with the ram. you shouldnt be disabling AGP accelleration at all. If you have to do that then your card is faulty

·
Some Scottish Guy
4,276 Posts
fireblaster_lyz said:
RMA? See the attached file...
DUDE ... I had the same problem with my FX5950 Ultra (amongst the damn refreshes and white lines). I plan to send a snail-mail application for a RMA on payday (as i can't get to a printer, photocopier or even a freaking postbox until my next weekday off.)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
james.miller said:
Definately looks to me like problem with the ram. you shouldnt be disabling AGP accelleration at all. If you have to do that then your card is faulty
not always true.....not enough power going to the AGP slot is as equivalent as underclocking you video card

....well at least in my case :p

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Kirby said:
not always true.....not enough power going to the AGP slot is as equivalent as underclocking you video card

....well at least in my case :p
AGP acceleration provides a certain wattage to your GPU regardless of whether its enabled or not. The GART drivers just enable AGP to better communicate directly to your CPU/Ram and bypass the Bus. There could be a problem with the chipset or the GPU.

·
Is this thing on?
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
GART? It is already disabled and I don't think it has any effect as the moment I activate it, it will be automatically be disabled...maybe it was really the Half-Life 2 problem after all...I'm going to blame my brother for this...
I can't post a screenshot as I just only see lines - stretched textures and such.

What James.Miller said was true. To disable my hardware acceleration to such an extent proves my card to be faulty. This was further concluded when I installed the card at my office.

Drivers? I used the default drivers at my office and I still see the problem. I guess reinstalling the Catayst or Omega drivers might not help after all.

Anyway, I am sending my card in through RMA and see what can be done. I got to use my backup GPU then...

·
Registered
35 Posts
From what I can tell from the screen, your card is on it's way to Self-Destruction. My 9500 Pro did that a while back and within week of the weird patterns showing up, it fried and completely stopped working.

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
ChrisRay said:
AGP acceleration provides a certain wattage to your GPU regardless of whether its enabled or not. The GART drivers just enable AGP to better communicate directly to your CPU/Ram and bypass the Bus. There could be a problem with the chipset or the GPU.
can't deny ChrisRay here....bought a 350W Antec and still has the same problem....I'm keeping it cause it only costed me 8 bucks, and can power up my new hard drive very nicely now :laugh:

I had this problem the very first time I got my motherboard and CPU back from RMA....I told them to run extra tests on the AGP slot, but they said there was no problem with it. Now artifact problems is happening in PCI mode, so maybe RMAing my video card is the next step. Need to test with someone's 8x AGP card from school....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts