Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been solving problems with Dolphin since last night, and I finally got it to the point where nothing pops up when I try to run a ROM, but, it instead immediately crashes. It used to crash after all of the annoying pop ups.

I've seen threads saying certain graphics cards are needed for Dolphin, and I have Radeon 7500 with the Catalyst thing. It runs games like San Andreas and Morrowind fine, which were also made on X-box and PS2, and I assume Gamecube can't surpass them, so I assume my card qualifies. Can anyone give me any idea of why Dolphin keeps crashing?

Trying to run Twilight Princess.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
The Radeon 7500 is nothing more than a die-shrunk version of ATI's original Radeon. (originally released in 2000 [Happy soon-to-be ninth birthday, Radeon!])

The 7500 also features higher clock speeds, but still only supports up to DirectX 7 and OpenGL 1.3. So yeah, your ancient graphics card is the problem. :/

Info on original Radeon series.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, thanks. Any recommendations on an upgrade that won't kill my wallet? As a side note I HATE going inside of my computer, and I saw mention somewhere of a 'external graphics card'. What is that exactly? Would I be able to install it without gutting my comp?

·
ライチュウ|タオ
4,016 Posts
What are your current PC specs? It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what motherboard you have. What's your budget as well? :s An 'external' graphics card is a card that plugs into an AGP/PCI/PCI-e slot on your computer, with PCI-e being the latest and greatest. And no, you'd have to go into your comp to install it. I think they also make graphics cards that attach to docks or something for laptops, but they still wouldn't be that great I wouldn't imagine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm not exactly sure ho to pull up the exact specs on my computer, to be honest. *Falls over in shame.* Of all the things I have done and know how to do, that is NOT one of them, lol.

I found a card, but looking at the specs... I realized I can't understand them too well. XD

Sorry.. I'm an idiot when it comes to upgrading my comp.. and doing simple things. (Yet I do programming.. what the hell.)

BFG - NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS 512MB DDR2 PCI Express Graphics Card - BFGR84512GS64E

·
ライチュウ|タオ
4,016 Posts
There's several ways. To get the most generic overview, right click My Computer and click Properties, assuming you're in Windows. That'll show CPU speed, CPU type, and RAM amount. I'd grab PC Wizard and/or CPU-Z from TechpowerUp. That'll tell you your pc hardware and cpu info respectively. Another place makes GPU-Z which tells you about your graphics card. Everest Home Edition will work as well.

Btw, that card is piss poor. Get something like a 9600GT.

Newegg.com - EVGA 512-P3-N860-TR GeForce 9600 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Intel Pentium 4 2.20Ghz
Core Speed: 2192.9 Mhz

Motherboard:
Model: 0G1548
Chipset: i854G
Southbridge:Intel 82801DB

Memory
Type: DDR
Size 512 Mbs

Dunno exactly what's important and what's not so... there ya go! Need anything else, ask. >.<

·
Registered
836 Posts
lol dude. your ont going to get good speeds with that processor. just upgrade the whole pc. if you want a good chee processor just buy like a AMD x2 5000+ black edition. or you can get a AMD fx62 those are NICE CHEEP processors that handles dolphin and pcsx2 and a good card to get is a 9600gt or if you want somthing thats like borderline minimum get a nvidia 6800 i had that card ....did me wonders with games and with dolphin/pcsx2 and you can buy the card from ebay for 15 bucks!!!!

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Yeah, i845G.

Nothing about 'dimension' All I see is Pentium 4.
But it is a Dell, right? Everything I've searched through points to it being a Dell Dimension 2400. The technical documents say it doesn't have any AGP or PCI-e ports. You only have regular PCI ports.

I wouldn't recommend spending money to "upgrade" anything on that computer. All of the PCI graphics cards that are still in production are crap and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Also, your processor isn't dual core and your RAM is insufficient. You need a new computer, buddy. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This computer isn't too bad, and I plan to upgrade it once I get a job once I turn 18/get my credentials.

I want to completely re-model this computer, top to bottom, but as I said before, I'm afraid of opening it because I have no current cash flow to get a new computer. Once I get that I'm going to de-shell this sucker and go through everything.

No, it is NOT a 2400 It might be custom built, since I got it from a friend in the navy who got it from a friend. It's beautiful compared to m old HP though.

I honestly need re-direction to a forum about computer modding and upgrading before I get my job just so I can plan out doing things to this computer. I've seen really cool fabrications with LED lights I want to try, Mouse-modding, glowing keyboards... (I'm a nerd, bite me, I love the stuff. XD)

Any chance anyone can give my ideas to upgrade the internal hardware on this computer, and/or link me to a site for that, too?

My friend upgraded an old, OLD DELL to preform on Alienware standards.. managed to get the newest Halo game running on it, and the frame is from.. '99 I think. I want to get mine at that beautiful preformance.

·
Registered
836 Posts
uhh yea i got halo 2 (the "newest" one for the pc) running full speed on a 1.7 ghz single core computer and a sucky ass intel 945gm chipset... halo 2 requires LOW specs to play.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Pentium 4 is not good enough for Dolphin but you have good video card then upgrade Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo, why not ? :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nah, he had Halo 3 on a 360 ROM. I gotta ask him about how the hell he did it too, last time I checked 360 emulators didn't run. o_O Saw him running the sucker though.

·
Registered
836 Posts
exactly.... he is there will not be a 360 emulator for years. and somthing ****ty like that computer is NO WHERE near the 360's specs and if there "is" a 360 emulator the game would run at 0.000000000000001 fps LOL

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
This computer isn't too bad, and I plan to upgrade it once I get a job once I turn 18/get my credentials.

I want to completely re-model this computer, top to bottom, but as I said before, I'm afraid of opening it because I have no current cash flow to get a new computer. Once I get that I'm going to de-shell this sucker and go through everything.

No, it is NOT a 2400 It might be custom built, since I got it from a friend in the navy who got it from a friend. It's beautiful compared to m old HP though.

I honestly need re-direction to a forum about computer modding and upgrading before I get my job just so I can plan out doing things to this computer. I've seen really cool fabrications with LED lights I want to try, Mouse-modding, glowing keyboards... (I'm a nerd, bite me, I love the stuff. XD)

Any chance anyone can give my ideas to upgrade the internal hardware on this computer, and/or link me to a site for that, too?

My friend upgraded an old, OLD DELL to preform on Alienware standards.. managed to get the newest Halo game running on it, and the frame is from.. '99 I think. I want to get mine at that beautiful preformance.
The model number you've provided links to the Dell Dimension 2400's motherboard, so it's likely that the board originally came from one of those. But for the sake of not leading you astray, we need definitive info about your computer.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "re-model" your computer, but any upgrades to your system are just going to waste your money and leave you with buyer's remorse. You need to build a new computer from the ground up. When you're ready to do this, make a new post asking for help with this and list your budget. We have quite a few people here who can help you out.

Pentium 4 is not good enough for Dolphin but you have good video card then upgrade Pentium 4 to Core 2 Duo, why not ? :)
oO
What kind of drugs are you on? Seriously! You list a Radeon 7500 as a "good" card in this day and age?!?

Nah, he had Halo 3 on a 360 ROM. I gotta ask him about how the hell he did it too, last time I checked 360 emulators didn't run. o_O Saw him running the sucker though.
I agree with Kaizen on this.

Your friend might be referring to having a mod-chipped 360 that can play burned games though. :/

1 - 20 of 26 Posts