Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a ati radeon 7000 with tv-out and it has a composite out.
I connected the composite wire that came with the card and then connected upto a scart connector and into my tv.
I get a picture on the screen but it flickers, i am guessing its a PAL/NTSC issue.
Im running redhat 9 and am certain the card and os are compatible. Is there a certain kind of cable i need to get that would either allow me to switch the signal, NTSC PAL, or is this simply a software issue?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
no, check the screen res and the mhz its running at. There are alot of options for the tv out on ati cards with lots of ways to fix problems. Just try messing around with them. Also, you might have a bad wire but there is no way to be sure with out checking with a good wire.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought a belkin PC-dvd to TV kit. so that eliminates the wire as i am getting the same result.
I have been tinkering with my XF86Config and can't seem to get colour tv-out working.
ive google'd yahoo'd everything, can't find any working solution.

·
Registered
217 Posts
tookers said:
I bought a belkin PC-dvd to TV kit. so that eliminates the wire as i am getting the same result.
I have been tinkering with my XF86Config and can't seem to get colour tv-out working.
ive google'd yahoo'd everything, can't find any working solution.

what refresh rate are you using should be 60 or 30

i dont know alot about linux so i apologize if i cant help that much

what drivers are you using

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Considering he used a SCART connector, I would say he's using a PAL TV in which case 60/30 probably won't work (unless the card can output PAL 60).

·
Mr. Stupendous
1,138 Posts
you need to explain the filckering in more detail. The output will flicker when running hires desktops on the t.v screen. You can get away with it its a limitation of the T.V set, not the card.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok I have been testing on 2 different tvs. strangely enough the older of the 2 tvs displays a clear picture (in that it doesnt flicker). i've had the vertical refresh at 50 - 60 and the horiz sync at 31.5 - 48.5
XF86 is very picky and only seems to start up the GUI when the rates are near those ranges i stated.
I did read that the reason for colour loss is due to the signal being out of sync. I know my tv operates at 50hz and so i have tried setting the vertical refresh rate explicitly in my XF86Config but it doesnt seem to like that.
I just looked at the manufacturer who made my card (www.connect3d.com) not really sure if my card is NTSC or PAL though as it doesnt state in the specs. however i would like to assume it is NTSC as even during bootup i get black and white. I will try ntsc rates and see if they work

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
It usually depends on the bios, so a card can be both pal and ntsc, and the only difference would be in the firmware. Try to locate a pal bios for your card, or use a bios editor. There was a nice one i used with my ATI, though i can't recall the name.

·
Registered
217 Posts
if u bought the card in whatever country you live in and from a reseller in ure country then its PAL as ATI eorupe which im PRETTY sure actully pretty much does all sales outside of US canada. so it wouldnt be taht tho u can try a diffrent bios just make sure you have a pci based gfx card just in case the bios flash goes squirly on you

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok i'll try and locate a different bios as a few of you have suggested.
Sorry if i didnt mention before but im in UK.
I remember seeing a program that let you view, download and edit the bios from the video card. This was for nvidia chipsets im sure there must be a ati equivalent. I'll av a look around and post my results

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
nice little site there!
aint got a bios for my card.. Connect3d Radeon 7000 (VE)
I found out the rates for each resolution... im using 800x600 and it states it runs at 200Hz so i set my vertical refresh at 200, XFree86 didnt like that so i set it at 60-200 and it loaded up but no colour again.

EDIT* I just remembered, last night I was using my old tv connected to my linux box to install some rpms and the picture was fine but in black and white, but I tried setting my video card driver to vga and then reset xserver and the screen started rolling like crazy exactly the same as it was on my new tv. So now i'm thinking its the bios on the video card as it does state something to do with VGA and VESA Bios. So there should be an option to change the bios.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
solved the problem. installed suse 9.1 which comes with latest radeon drivers, had to configure XF86Config file so that there was an option to set TVStandard and to tell the system that TVOut should be used.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts