Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you heard of the ATI R520, now called the X1K series. The newest and most powerful of them is the ATI Radeon X1800 XT PE (I believe). This thing pulls ahead of the 7800 GTX. Look at these benchmarks for Doom 3:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/228/8

Doom 3, typically an NVIDIA game, is running better on an ATI card. Get a load of that! This new ATI card is amazing, and ATI's AVIVO looks excellent. ATI was right when they told Valve to hold off on launching Lost Coast until this thing came out! It looks awesome! This is probably old news for most of you, but oh well.

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Yeah! Ive been reading so many reveiws about this and am loving it. Now only if I had a few hundread bucks to go buy it...

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Viper_Viper said:
Yeah! Ive been reading so many reveiws about this and am loving it. Now only if I had a few hundread bucks to go buy it...
There's also an X1600, and an X1300 so I'm sure the prices are better on them. However, I haven't seen the X1600 or X1300 for sale yet.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Late November/early December is what they are saying for the x1600 & x1300. I was kinda intersted in the x1600 since it has the Adaptive AA, unfortunately, the overall performance has it hovering around GF 6600 GT but costing as much as a GF 6800GT/x800XL. It's this last sticking point (the fact that it will cost waaaay too much for the performance you are getting) that makes it hard to justify buying the x1600 :(

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ATI is also saying that their AVIVO is much more clearer than a "non-ATI card"(which is, of course, NVIDIA). I dunno personally I'd wait till DX10 came out, this is just a rush to see who has the upper hand before the next generation of Windows appears.

The NVIDIA 7800 GT looks awesome! I'd rather get that.

·
band
4,912 Posts
ive been wondering...is avivo available on older cards (non-x1xxx series...ie...x8xx)?

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Master Chief said:
Many of you heard of the ATI R520, now called the X1K series. The newest and most powerful of them is the ATI Radeon X1800 XT PE (I believe). This thing pulls ahead of the 7800 GTX. Look at these benchmarks for Doom 3:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/228/8

Doom 3, typically an NVIDIA game, is running better on an ATI card. Get a load of that! This new ATI card is amazing, and ATI's AVIVO looks excellent. ATI was right when they told Valve to hold off on launching Lost Coast until this thing came out! It looks awesome! This is probably old news for most of you, but oh well.
Heh. I think that's the only review that shows the new ATi cards close in performance to Nvidia's 7800gt/gtx in Doom 3. In most if not all other reviews, it's not even close.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2556&p=4

The only card really worth buying is the x1800xt. It's arguably the fastest card card out now depending on the game. The hefty price tag does deter from it somewhat when compared to the 7800gtx which can already be found for $450 at a lot of e-tailers. And with the 7800gt selling for as little as $350, the x1800xl is too expensive for the relative performance it has against it.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
wierd results, i saw this benchmark and the 7800GTX seems to beat it in all tests, but ATi are staying on Nvidias heels

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
Lets not forget those benchmarks are beeing done with the nvidia drivers that have the anisotropic "simple bug" (if its so damn simple i dunno why a new driver hasnt been released yet), and in most of those benchmarks nvidia is ahead with only 5-10 fps, im pretty sure it would fall behind if the anisotropic filtering was working properly

oh and refraction, it seems they underclocked the ati card to match the nvidia card speed on those benchmarks

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
ah yes of course, they did that to test the actual performance of the core so they had no advantages of memory speed or extra clock mhz, so they were showing just how the actual core performs, i think it says that on page 1 but i forgot :D

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
ive read somewhere that the X1K series is not really full SM3.0 compliant as it lacks vertex texture fetch, a main component of vertex shader 3.0, it can still be enabled trough drivers though, but im not sure on speed.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
[Clements] said:
This sort of flies in the face of the speculation that ATi's X1800 hardware was more efficient. :p
haha just a bit, its possible there are other factors with the card making it slower, but i think its more than likely they just took the extra mhz here n there to make it faster and say it was more efficient :p

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.