Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Nice joke, hahaha.

Hmmm, nah sorry, it's not funny :p

EDIT: After further reading, it looks like it's for real o_O... why would they make FPS lower than normal? :s

Oh well, it ran fine on my 6800 anyways, with almost everything set to high

·
Experenced But New User
866 Posts
Wow, renaming the exe accualy increases the FPS? Thats an unusual one...

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah... too bad i dont have the game right now to test it on my x800xl but it seems, according to those people, that this renaming things work
I wonder if it works for other nvidia games hehe

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
The whole Quack 3 thing happened back with the Radeon 8500 I believe. There was a optimization in the driver that caused the game to run faster, at probably the cost of a little image quality (like most optimizations). If you renamed the exe to something such as quack3, the framerate dropped quite a bit. That's what D.D. was referring to

·
band
4,912 Posts
yes. ^^

nowadays ppl love optimizations....shows how much the world of hardware has changed heh.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I turn off the easy ones, such as the three listed in the nVidia driver control panel. I haven't gone as far as removing the recent anisotropic filtering optimization though, I use AF a lot and a ~40% reduction in speed doesn't sound appealing.

·
Irregular User
3,188 Posts
imo, the increase in performance could be due to the application profile in the ATi drivers, when it detects FEAR.exe maybe it launches an application specific setting for the game, renaming it to other name like noob.exe makes it undetectable by ATi driver then it launches the default config for a 3D game like that.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.