Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to buy a new video card (HIS 512MB GDDR3 HD4670) but couldn't find any info about the ATI PowerXpress/Hybrid Power technology support. So, I googled about it and didn't found any kind of ATI Hybrid Power technology for desktop users! That's so intrigating that I couldn't believe (and still can't) so I just would like to know if ATI is really lacking Hybrid Power desktop support and if Nvidia Hybrid Power works fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are we talking about ATIs power play feature?

Or ATIs Hybrid Graphics?
None of them. I guess power play works like a cool'n'quiet for gpu. Hybrid Graphics allow you to do a hybrid crossfire (onboard video + low end vga).

Hybrid Power basically allows you to switch over onboard video or VGA. When video onboard is enabled, the video card will shut down saving a lot of energy.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
I believe on a system with integrated video, hybridpower disables the gpu on the video card when not required and uses the onboard video chip to conserve power

ATI has no such technology at this time....

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
It would be nice if they did, ATi has the chipsets to do it.

Don't see how this works to be honest. If the GPU turns off and switches to the integrated output...wouldn't you have to switch your monitor cable to that port too :dead:?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be nice if they did, ATi has the chipsets to do it.

Don't see how this works to be honest. If the GPU turns off and switches to the integrated output...wouldn't you have to switch your monitor cable to that port too :dead:?
Well at least the Nvidia Hybrid Power works by allways connecting the VGA/DVI cable on the onboard plug so the onboard video will allways work, even when the VGA is working (when this happens the rendered images by the offboard VGA are redirected to the onboard video).

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
no, gpu's can feed data in both directions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.