1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
who cares about crysis. its limelight was long withdrawn.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
who cares about crysis. its limelight was long withdrawn.
I wonder if that would've been your response if Fermi was released now, and the first card to tame it.

Other than that, yeah I do think Crysis isn't that important, even though it's a nice show off and still one of the games I want to play. Regardless, it's a bloody fast card. But I'd hold onto my money, unless you want the latest and greatest and play everything at 2560*1600 with 8*AA, you can get by with a single 5850. Much better value imho.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I want to see the performance across a wide range of games, applications and stuff :D

ATI's current drivers don't support GPU Flash 10.1 :\

I wonder if that would've been your response if Fermi was released now, and the first card to tame it.
The response would've been the same. I want to see if it can tame GTA4 :D

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I want to see the performance across a wide range of games, applications and stuff :D

If you'd need GPU support for flash when running a card like this, you're doing something terribly wrong. :p

On the other hand, it will be appreciated with low end cards for HTPC purposes. But tell me again, why does flash need that much power in the first place? Back in the days I was already hugely annoyed it wouldn't run on my 333MHz K6.

lol :D

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
We need increases like this though. The game was released in 2007, so it's about time. It only can lead to good things for future cards (hopefully). Ever since the 8800, the increases were small, yet the prices were the same (if not more). It's lead to a bit of stagnation, and I'm wanting to upgrade from my 8800GT, but am having a hard time forking out $300 or more for a card about one and a half times faster in best case scenarios for my resolutions/settings/games, when the 8800 series is, what, three years old? One and a half times increase for a larger price than I paid for it? Maybe I'm a bit spoiled from the good deal the 8800GT was (alot of people held on to their precious GeForce 4 Ti4200s for the same reason), but that's still not a good deal for my position. Even if it's starting to show it's age now, it's still playing everything at relatively higher settings. I want to upgrade. I'm just finding that much hard to stomach.

·
Level 9998
9,384 Posts
If you'd need GPU support for flash when running a card like this, you're doing something terribly wrong. :p
Unless you are watching Hulu videos... :p FYI, that thing bogs even a 4GHz Core 2 Quad.

On the other hand, it will be appreciated with low end cards for HTPC purposes. But tell me again, why does flash need that much power in the first place? Back in the days I was already hugely annoyed it wouldn't run on my 333MHz K6.
Most of its primitive graphics data are vectorized in storage, and then the CPU has to rasterize them in memory. A technique to effectively reduce size, if you may.

The problem is that it wouldn't take that much power if Flash developers didn't have a "Java" mindset. Basically, they just assume that the Flash Virtual Machine will wipe their ***es after they **** all over the codes. It's partially Adobe's fault for not adopting the virtual machine seriously (after merging with Macromedia, who did get a pretty nice VM going that would run on some very low-end systems), but it's mostly developers' faults for not efficiently managing their codes. Sadly people still blame Adobe and pray for a better version with a better VM. :p

Think Java in its early implementations... That said, it's not like there ain't a way to make it run blazingly fast, but... like 99.99% of Flash developers know **** about that... to be frank. :innocent: No, but seriously, after seeing the community, I can at least say that it's still in its infancy years after the technology becomes widespread. So to say... it'll take a long while... maybe as long as it took Java, to get Flash to be more efficient. And there has to be cooperation between developers and Adobe. Right now, Adobe doesn't give much support, and developers don't give much effort into learning...

Back on topic, nice crossfire on two 5870s there... (unless the 5970 is something else I'm not... aware of?) Now I'm sure it'll be my next card if I ever hear that ATi has finally fixed the drivers properly. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
While indeed it's a nice powerful card, the current pricing is completely out of touch with reality. Just looking at a few online retailers here in the UK, and the ones actually showing pre-order dates are selling them for about £500, and thats just nuts. For £500, I could buy a PS3, a Wii, and a DS, and actually start to enjoy gaming rather than waiting to see if any devs actually bother with DX11. I mean, its all well and good talking about DX11, but unless we start to see some serious releases then you've just bought a stupidly expensive DX9/10 card that just plays the same games as a GTS260/HD4850, only faster, and nearly 5x the price.

CoD 6 MW2, proves that most top devs couldn't give a crap about the PC, and all the platform is going to get over the next few years is just more DX9 titles, an having a higher res + AA doesn't justify a £500 card, or heck even a £300 HD5870 card. My aging 9800GT, at 1440x900, still plays anything out there, and nothing, even Crysis, has stopped the card from giving me playable frame rates, at the cost of no AA in GTA4 and Crysis.

I know I just seem to rant about the PC, its just that it's been my platform of choice for the last 16 years, and now it feels like it's going down the pan.
When you can buy a PS3 & 19+" HDTV + GT5, for the price of ONE gfx card, then enjoy a racing game that looks superior to ANY current PC racer running on that very card, it just doesn't make sense to continue to support the PC.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
Nvidia and ATI should stop making new card every years.We consumer cannot print money and game developer has to agree with us. XD

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
pricing for these cards has a lot to do with the shortage. When supply finally kicks up sometime late q1 probably, it will start to get better.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
pricing for these cards has a lot to do with the shortage. When supply finally kicks up sometime late q1 probably, it will start to get better.
^This.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Two 5870s cost damn near 800 dollars. They are giving this to us for 600, and it is the only multi gpu set up able to run eyefinity, and it is the fastest gpu set up for eyefinity since crossfire isn't currently supported yet. This is for the big enthusiasts who have a lot of money that can spend half a G on a single part for their pc. It's for the people who have enough money to buy 3 30 inch monitors without batting an eye. Even though the 5970 is extremely expensive, it is priced correctly and fairly. There isn't a huge 200 dollar price premium on the card just because it is the fastest graphics card in the world.

·
The one and only
3,660 Posts
i still would love to see crysis being run at 60fps. must look amazing to the eye.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Two 5870s cost damn near 800 dollars. They are giving this to us for 600, and it is the only multi gpu set up able to run eyefinity, and it is the fastest gpu set up for eyefinity since crossfire isn't currently supported yet. This is for the big enthusiasts who have a lot of money that can spend half a G on a single part for their pc. It's for the people who have enough money to buy 3 30 inch monitors without batting an eye. Even though the 5970 is extremely expensive, it is priced correctly and fairly. There isn't a huge 200 dollar price premium on the card just because it is the fastest graphics card in the world.
^ this.

Do you guys really think high-end and newest tech or hardware come cheap? For 2x the performance of the GTX 295 at the cost of $100 more than the gtx 295 is not really a bad deal if you have the money for it.

Here's a $700 gtx 295:lol: Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1297-AR CO-OP Hydro Copper GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
2x more like 1.5x.

it still chokes, on the effects it should be able to handle above 60fps.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Its probably not that important for most people to have a videocard capable of partially offloading Flash, as processors now day are more then capable of handling the HD Flash videos. Yeah its a nice feature, but i can't remember the last time my e6600 couldn't handle HD Flash. Plus from what i hear it only partially offloads flash.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
depends on the resolution of the video and the codec used.

hq264 at 1080p + the overheads of flash's applet tend to kill quads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Catalyst 9.11 (which was released just before HD 5970 and 1 day after Flash 10.1 was released) supports Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration.

Tested with and HD 4870 using AMD GPU clock tool to confirm.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
No it doesn't. Verified by Anandtec in their GPU Flash article.

Update 4: AMD has released Catalyst 9.11 with Flash support for Radeon HD 5000 series and 4000 series GPUs. No word on integrated graphics platforms. We've begun testing but the drivers don't seem to enable H.264 decode acceleration under Hulu at this point, waiting for a response from AMD.
Update 3: AMD tells us that Flash 10.1 support is coming later today, we should have a working driver soon.
Update 2: The latest beta drivers from ATI do not enable Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration support (both leaked and the supposed Catalyst 9.11 drivers from ATI's developer site). We're still waiting for ATI to get us a version of their drivers that does enable GPU acceleration under Flash 10.1.

(Update: The Release Notes now indicate Catalyst 9.11 drivers are required, which would explain our difficulties in testing. ATI just released Catalyst 9.11 but we're having issues getting GPU acceleration to work, waiting on a response from AMD now)
AnandTech: AnandTech Tests GPU Accelerated Flash 10.1 Prerelease

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.