Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ATI Gfx card Radeon 8500 LE 64 Megs.
For a year now I am having trouble with it.
When ever i play games , the game halts and frezes for like 5 seconds , then resumes again. This happen like 10 time when I am playing any game.
I tried out changing game congfigurations and stpped playing with any resolution higher than 640x480 and at medium details, as I found out that the number of freezes is at minimum in that resolution.
I am always updating my drivers, and what's killing me as that all the games have support for my video card.
Does this mean that my Gfx card is damage, or is it something in the AGP slot on the motherboard?
Anyways, thanks

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It started with Legacy of Kain Defiance, and continues till now.
But theses games support Radeon 8500 series.
Even if it's low frame rate whatever, how do I fix it?

·
Registered
356 Posts
if you have Windows XP go to task manager and close down all programs by your user name except for explorer and task manager. Also post your specs, it could be something else like your processor or RAM. They could be bottle necks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My System Information
-----------------------
Time of this report: 11/1/2004, 13:33:39
Machine name: JERKULEZ
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 1 (2600.xpsp1.020828-1920)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System Manufacturer
System Model: Product Name
BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Duron(tm) processor, ~1.2GHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 266MB used, 350MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0904 32bit Unicode

I don't have any viruses or spyware.
I am using McAfee Virus Scan Interprise 8, so i pretty much suspect the presence of any spyware or viruses.
The thing is that these games work normally on other pcs, I am the only one who had these freezes.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It scans for both, and either way I used to use spybot.
but at he moment I don't have any spyware or viruses.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Already tried, In some games there were improvments, but overall freezing of the game happens. Really I don't know what to do, now I am settled with the catalyst driver 4.10!

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Well what resolution and settings are you p0laying games at? Your card is relatively old along with the rest of your system. Legacy of Kain Definace is a newer game that requires more. The only solution is to decrease resolutions and using lower settings.

It won't looks as pretty though. Other than that, it seems it may be time to upgrade to something better.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do so, I play all my games now on a resolution of 640x480, and medium or low effects, yet I am getting screwed continuesly.
About the upgrade, I am dying for one, but the problem of all problems is the money.
I am trying to trick my dad into giving him mine and taking his, coz he's killing me. He has a P4 3 Gz, an MSI mb 800 and 512 rams, and for what?
To play windows solitaire, popcap games and to read online newspapers.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
Your dad must be mean knowing that you need the power and he doesn't :p Well you could always "borrow" his computer :p

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah this is a simple case of the machine is showing its age with current games :cry: it sucks i know ive been their. keep begging until he gives in at least its almost the holidays so maybe he will be nice and give you a new computer

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the moral support guys :cry:
We did make an agreement that by this month, je will either give me the pc, or some money to buy a new one.
Oh an by the way, the same games work on a pentium 3 1.2 , 128 sdrams and a TNT2, which means, something is wrong with my friggin' card. :angry:

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I do that regularly, as well as virus scan weekly, but still the same crap.
Man that is the last time I am to get an ATI card again.
It will be Nvidia all the way.
I just don't want to change anything in this piece of crap, untill I get a new one.

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
How can you say ATi is crap just because your card is out of date? Try getting a 9500+ and see if ATi still sucks. That 8500LE is quite out of date.. that's like saying nVidia sucks because you're stuck with a GF4 MX.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts