Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, I've recently formatted, and of course was left with no graphics drivers. So, I go to ATi.com and download Catalyst 5.8.

Well, it seemed to install properly, but whenever I try to run it I get an error: "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000135). Click OK to terminate the application."

what's going on here?

EDIT: I researched and got results that mentioned the .NET Framework 1.1, I'm running Windows update now, I'll check again if it fixes it.

Also, Windows fails to auto detect my default LAN gateway, I have to input it myself. Anyone know what that's all about?

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, for some odd reason Windows fails to activate itself. I couldn't do it while I was installing it due to the LAN reason mentioned above, but when I try now it keeps saying that my Product Key is incorrect, and trust me, I KNOW it's right. I've installed this particular one dozens of times. And if it's due to a security thing, I can assure you that this is a copy I purchassed myself and the product key is one I have been using throughout many formats during the past three years.

EDIT 2: Hrm, friend of mine says that now all Windows OEM activations have to be done over the phone, I hope he's right. But damn, if it is so, Windows could have at least TOLD me so.

EDIT 3: Well ****! Seems I'm going to have to buy a new copy of Windows. The jerks at Microsoft refused to activate it because I had it installed on my last computer. When will their evil end? Well, I'm buying the retail version this time, at least THAT can be activated using the Internet, right? Can I just use the Product ID that comes with the new one to activate this copy? Because I really don't want to go through formatting/reinstalling everything all over again . . .

What's worse is that I can't do it on the phone because it doesn't give me a list of numbers to call.

Ugh, what's with my horrible luck with computers ><

·
Registered
7,330 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, forget it now, I'm gonna have to format again anyway. But thanks, I'll get the control panel instead.

As for my Windows ordeal . . . how does WinXP Pro sound? It's less of a hassle with activation for that thing, right?

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Definitely avoid installing the .NET Framework. I't's EVIL.
Yeah, more than the dudes you got on the phone.
It installs a new user account on your computer WICH you can't use or control, and adding injury to offense, password protected. Now why's that...
Read that for reference on the computing's future (http://aaxnet.com/editor/edit029.html)

Definitely stick with ATI Control Panel instead.

For the activation issue: you could just stick with a home WinXP,activate it normally, and AFTER activation use Norton's Ghost utility to make a HD image you could burn to restore your WinXP installation without needing to format/re-install/re-re-activate

As long as you don't undergo major hardware modifications, you won't need to reactivate it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.