Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi

i just received an ati hd4650. in pcsx2 and psxmame im getting very strange results. i only get half the full speed which is strange because my nvidia card didnt have this issue. does anyone have this problem with ati cards?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Have you a dual core CPU?

I ask because some of ATi's cards (the Radeon HD 4xx0 series, namely) offloads alot of it's work onto the CPU, starving PCSX2 of that CPU power, so in the end, it's like downgrading your CPU, because PCSX2 gets less since the ATi card is using some. PCSX2 is CPU limited, not GPU limited, in most cases.

Also, another thing worth mentioning is that it's been said that this "issue" was fixed in newer drivers, but I haven't seen anything of that claim. I was always aware it was how it worked, and not an "issue" per se, but I don't know. If you have the newest drivers and a dual core CPU, either the "problem" still exists with ATi cards, or it's just your system in some other way.

What was the previous nVidia GPU, by the way.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
ATI is terrible. I've had lots of compatability issues with my HD4850 and quite frankly; I'm glad I got an excuse to get a different card.

Lets break this down a bit with some of my good old analogies that make no sense.

ATI's cards are like Tanks without treads... incredibly powerful and you can move just not in the direction you wish to go.

Nvidia's cards are like Humvees, they have mounted weapons and have the ability to be just as useful and can go just about anywhere.

So take your pick; a card powerful as **** but is as useless as a hairless cat.
Or....
A card that is pretty damn powerful and has good support and amazing drivers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.