Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in tweaktown.com when reading how to tweak my windows xp.
There is this part that I had to know how much bytes does athlon xp has in L2 cache ( athlon xp 1500+ ).
Does anyone know ?

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Atholon XP has 256kb exclusive L2 cache. I think that's what you want to know.

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts
Originally posted by Zephon
Atholon XP has 256kb exclusive L2 cache. I think that's what you want to know.
Same as the Athlon-C tbirds.. The only thing really different about Athlon Xp's is the introduction of SSE2 support.. Same as what the P4's use..

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by fivefeet8
Same as the Athlon-C tbirds.. The only thing really different about Athlon Xp's is the introduction of SSE2 support.. Same as what the P4's use..
Wrong. Athlon XP has SSE support, not SSE2. Tbirds didn't have even SSE. Athlon XP has also Hardware Prefetch(which I'm not really sure what it is), which was not available in Tbirds(but it's available in P4).

·
Premium Member
8,592 Posts

Wrong. Athlon XP has SSE support, not SSE2. Tbirds didn't have even SSE. Athlon XP has also Hardware Prefetch(which I'm not really sure what it is), which was not available in Tbirds(but it's available in P4).
Thanks for clearing that up.. I need to reread those hardware articles..

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by dhkim
256 kb in level 2 ?
okaie !!!
my bios displays 357 or something....
I guess it's because it's showing the whole thing :D

thanks for the info
I think your bios is showing the whole cache, not just the L2 one. Athlon XP has 128kb L1 cache(64kb for instructions + 64kb for data), and since it uses exclusive cache, the total cache is 128(L1)+256(L2)=384kb total cache.

Intel cpus use inclusive cache, which means 256kb L2 cache(512kb in Northwood), 256kb total cache(L1 is "inside" L2).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Intel cpus use inclusive cache, which means 256kb L2 cache(512kb in Northwood), 256kb total cache(L1 is "inside" L2).
Not quite true, the L1 does exist seperately, it's just mirrored (inclusive) in the L2 as well. For example, the p3 has 64Kb L1, and then 256Kb L2.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by Phuzzi
Not quite true, the L1 does exist seperately, it's just mirrored (inclusive) in the L2 as well. For example, the p3 has 64Kb L1, and then 256Kb L2.
You're right. What I meant is that since L1 cache is always mirrored in the L2 cache, if the cpu has 64kb L1 and 256 kb L2 cache, there will be only 192kb useful L2 cache. Together with the 64kb L1, the total "useful" cache is 256kb, while in exclusive cache cpus, the total useful cache would be 320kb.

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
Originally posted by Phuzzi
You realise that not all 'exclusive cache cpus' would have 320Kb of cache, right?
Sure, I'm just using the example I mentioned(a cpu with 64kb L1+256kb L2).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.