Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own an AMD ATHLON 1.4 GHz.I have a question for those with the same cpu;Which is the right temperature for my processor?I don't use any hardware monitoring utility because I've heard they are not reliable so I prefer to restart and see the temperature through the bios.Well for the time being the weather here in Greece is really cold but last summer when I had bought my computer,even the external surface of my case was getting hot..Now I have removed the rear metal pieces of my case and since it's winter time everything works great.But still I am worried of what am I going to do when weather gets hotter.IS an average temperature of 70 c safe to work?

PS:The cpu fan is supposed to work with ATHLONS up to 1.5 GHz(THERMALTAKE VOLCANO 6Cu)

·
Registered
708 Posts
anything below 90c is fine.
But 70 is rather hot.
I suggest you replace the Cooling fan with something from GlobalWin/Dragon Orb series. I own a mini super orb, and stays under 40c all the time.
And don't forget to make a better circulation for your casing so the hot air inside can switch place with cooler air from outside, placing some fans is an example.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew that GLOBALWIN were ideal for my situation and that they are also AMD aprooved.But their main drawback is that they are extremely noisy.So as you can realise it wouldn't be nice to sit back in order to watch a movie having the fan groaning and moaning. Anyway thanks for replying

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So what do you suggest EBOLA?For the time being the cpu temperature is 64c.Is it necessary to buy a case fan?I have been told that since they suck external air they can easily fill the case with dust.Is that true?

·
Registered
158 Posts
yes it is true if u're using in and exhaust fan they'll suck more dust into your cpu but its the only way to keep your cpu cool (i suggest that u're using one exhaust and one intake fan) then use Globalwin FOP38 for the HSF on your proc

·
Registered
186 Posts
Most ATX cases I've seen have 2 main areas for chassis fans. One behind the CPU on the back of the case and one in the lower front end of the case. Placing fans in those two areas is a good suggestion. You can also try a power supply with a bottom exhaust intake fan. I built an Athlon XP system for a friend and I popped in an Enermax 365 series PSU which also has a manual fan speed adjustment knob. He also has a Volcano Cu+ fan and his chip stays around 46° under heavy use. Normal idle temp is about 40°

The chassis fans can help and they are cheap. About $5-7USD I estimate (I live in Canada). Enermax PSUs are expensive, but I tell ya they REEK of quality. I know my next system will have one inside. Tons of power cords wrapped in a black mesh, manual fan speed (NOISE) adjustment knob and excellent power ratings. The 465 Series is even better, it adjusts the fan speed according to system temperature! But again they are expensive. About $55 and $65 USD for the 365 and 465 models respectively.

That stuff will help with your overall system temp more than directly inpacting your CPU temp but it can really help. You should probably try a different CPU HSF combo first, but if temperatures are really as hot as you say then maybe this other equipment may be of some consideration.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Millennium Glaciator II. its a 600 gram copper heatsink. works excellent for tbirds. its the best clip on heat sink available on the market. I have one on my p3. keeps it dead cold. now if you have a motherboard that has the four screw holes for mounting heatsinks then you should concider the alpha pal 8045. I think thats the model number. it does slightly better than the glaciator II but its considerably louder.

http://millennium-thermal.com/

·
Registered
900 Posts
case fans. hehe. I have 7 fans running in my case. yes intake fans pull a ton of dust into the case. ideally you want to have a current of air that goes in one side of the case and goes out the other. I have 2 80mm fans on the front of my case sucking air in and two 80mm fans on the back blowing air out. it sounds like a hurricane.

and never buy a delta fan. it may be the best fan but its also the loudest.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
Originally posted by ebola
case fans. hehe. I have 7 fans running in my case.
Only 7? I've 10 fans in my main case (dual 300W psu system):evil:. Main cpu runs at about 35C. (I have yet to clock it but I think it should handle it once I figure out the memory issues that I'm having due to a recent upgrade :()

·
Registered
708 Posts
Originally posted by ebola
dont listen to 404. 90 degrees C is way too hot unless you want fried tbird for dinner.
NO! I read it from some PDF manual that I downloaded months ago from AMD.com. And they wrote that their processors is 'strong' enough if it doesn't go beyond 90c. I lost the pdf, but i'll look for the URL for you.

I have only 2 casefans (2 more on the way) and my system runs very SM00tH :cool:

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
6,550 Posts
i have the same CPU, mine runs at max 45C, and max 50C if I O'c it.. might want to check if the HSF is seated properly or check the thermal compound (if any) is used .. and 90C is definitely too hot, these things are tested at -10 C >< 88C (or 90C) mine you, but datasheet limits for commercial parts are 0 >< 70C.. so yes, they might operate up to 90C or more, but that'l definitely screw up your cpu in the long run..

·
Registered
900 Posts
Originally posted by 404
NO! I read it from some PDF manual that I downloaded months ago from AMD.com. And they wrote that their processors is 'strong' enough if it doesn't go beyond 90c.
I think the 90C is the point at which the processors begin to fry themselfs. The processors will not actually run at these temps.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone for replying.I haven't mention that my motherboard GIGABYTE's GA-7VTX already had a preinstalled little fan.As I have told at this time CPU temperature is about 67 c and
system temperature is 35 c.I am thinking of buying THERMALTAKE's new VOLCANO 7 which is supposed to work fine for me.It has a coper base,internal temperature sensor and it looks pretty cool.I believe that is better than a DRAGON ORB and less noisy than GLOBALWIN's FOP 38 which produces 46 dB of noise.ON the contrary VOLCANO 7 won't produce more than 36dB.Has anyone bought VOLCANO 7?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
hey guys !
how are you installing 7 to 10 fans on your cpu ?
I have no idea how you guys did that ?

my cpu temperature is 49 ( athlon 1500 + ) and my system is 43 ( gigabyte's 7vtxe ).
I want to keep my cpu temperature lower than 40 celsius.
how can I do that ?

if you guys can take a pic of your cpu's that would be cool.
so I can see how you did that. :)

·
Registered
900 Posts
i have an antec sx1030b case. it has mounts for two 80mm fans in the front and two in the back. then I have my glaciator II on my p3. the psu has a 80mm fan, and my radeon has a fan.

some people also put a system cooler fan on the northbridge of their motherboard.

and no we are not putting 10 fan on the cpu. a computer is not a cpu. dont ever call a computer a cpu. people will laugh at you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
probably some of you might askyourselves 'what are these guys talking about? 7 fans... more fans... even more fans...'

well, AMD processors are wellknown for their heat problems. So many AMD fans think hard to solve this problem and give your AMD 'sea breeze' kinda feeling (actually, this whole cooling system with fans already began far before AMD athlon was introduced as a 'Hot Babe'. Many server are using this way. But us, home user get over the line and use even More fans :D

example:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.