Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I decided to overclock my previous Athlon 4200+ build, got from 2.2 GHz to 2.527 Ghz

Core Speed @ 2527.3 Mhz (Default 2200Mhz)
Bus Speed @ 229.7 Mhz (Default 200Mhz)
HT Link @ 1148.7 Mhz (Default 1000Mhz)
DRAM Frequency @ 421.2 Mhz (Default 400Mhz (200x2))

I tried at 240.0 Bus Speed and 235.0 Bus Speed it would not boot

So I'm leaving it where it is at and stable, I might try going up to 231-234

Although this is very stable and and I've had no issues at all %100 Stable and working

The Voltages are set to Auto (Stock) , no change in voltage what so ever

Is this a decent overclock or should I go for closer to 2.6-2.8?

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
*UPDATE* Got it to...

231Mhz Bus Speed x 11 at 2548.6MHz at HT Link of 1158.5Mhz at RAM at 424.8MHz

Very stable %100

Very Low tempatures still

Tempatures

25C
30C
25C
40C
29C

Looking very good, no artifacts, no loss of stability what so ever, no lag :)

*UPDATE*

Back to 230.0 Bus Speed at 231/232 several games crashed out of Vista x64 completely, been up for an hour at 230, 0 problems, increase in 3d mark scores and game fps :D

*UPDATE*

3/4 of my Games including Dolphin Emulator would not run with any form of overclocking so I've reset CMOS Values to Default and turned off all overclocking

Can an Admin/Op/Mod please close this thread, Thankyou :)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice this thread was even here...forgive my lateness....You should try for 2.8 - 3.0 GHZ, IF you can do it...... Unless you wanna preserve it....Although, I'm not too sure I'd wanna preserve an Athlon......Obviously the instability above the 230-234 thing is a voltage issue....At least that's how I've been told with Intel chips and most chips....and a chip is a chip....No matyter what type it is, the more voltage you give it, the more oyu can increase the clockrate.....
I never like increasing voltage, but since I learned how, I've never had mine at stock and it's still running to this day, no degredation..... thta I can detect....

If the option to increase voltage a little on AMD's is even there and you know what you're doing, I WOULD just slightly, you might get it stable at upwards of 2.8-3.0GHZ.....which is good for a dual core these days (although usually as the STARTING point))........

But I gotta say, in comparison, you NEW build is looking a lot better than this AMD one.....even overclocked......

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree, but I'm not very familiar with how to go about upping/lowering the voltages, so I'd rather get it as close to 2.6Ghz without any voltage changes, do you think that's possible or should I go for 3.0GHz and look at an OverClocking guide about voltages?

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
*UPDATE*

Lowered the Bus Speed to 227MHz
Voltages: Stock (1.2)
227MHzx11
CPU Speed: 2.505GHz

Stable, played Burnout Paradise Ultimate Box for 60 minutes no lag, no stability problems

Runnin SpeedFan constantly, about to run 3DMark06, 3DMark05 and 3DMark Vantage as well as some Super Mario Galaxy tests/tempature tests on Dolphin SVN 2069

PS: Had to ditch Prime95, I find it completely useless and having stupid/invalid readouts that don't tell you if it's stable or not.. (It also increased my tempature by a boat load and no other stability test did that..)

Tempatures:

25C Temp 1
30C Temp 2
25C Temp 3
40C Temp 1
29C Core

CPU-Z ID Info:

·
Registered
289 Posts
guys, it's probably not a voltage issue. Just drop the htt multiplier down to make it as close the 1000mhz as possible. then, you'll be able to increase the bus speed even more.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Unfortunately I have no option to drop the HTT Link, If I did I would have by now, but my BiOS/CMOS has no option to lower it

Here's the Benchies, so far I just have 3DMark05 tested but 3DMark06 and Vantage are coming

3DMark05

3DMark Score
7736 3DMarks

CPU Score
10413 CPUMarks

3DMark06 (Not sure why but I got an incredibly low score this run..)

3DMark Score
3583 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score

SM 3.0 Score

CPU Score

3D Mark Vantage (score is about 25-50 points off from 2.55GHz, not bad)

During all these tests the tempature didn't go past 30c (25c %90 of the time)

I'm going to do one final test of Super Mario Galaxy in Dolphin , this was my downfall with previous overclocks, if it can get threw Super Mario Galaxy without crashing, I'll be about 95 percent sure it's stable, if not I'm going to have to stop overclocking and go back to default CMOS settings.. here goes nothing..

Dolphin SVN 2069 playing Mario Galaxy:

Well it works! and 5-8 fps faster then it did before!

Unfortunately this game increases all the tempatures of the core,cpu,hard drive etc by extreme amounts

Here's the tempatures well running Super Mario Galaxy on Dolphin SVN 2069

and here's without running Dolphin + Super Mario Galaxy

and the moment of truth.. Super Mario Galaxy running without crashing to the desktop, or completely to CMOS/BiOS

I'm gonna leave it at 2.505GHz (227MHz Bus x11) unless anyone has any objections :)

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Not sure what the max safe temperatures is for those Athlon deals so can't say, but based on experience with TWO computer's and overclocking so far, that PROBABLY IS TO BE EXPECTED - especially at full load.....nothing to worry about if you're 29 at idle....even without a cooler.....But I wouldn't go into the 60 range especially with no cooler....although it's up to you.. I hear once you get into that range or above it's time to start reaching for the white towel......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
4.99??????? Careful you don't burn out your new beast there......;););););););)

PS: oyu should take a snapshot of your i7 results in the Benchmarks thread.....43000 is impressive......(if it's the right 3D Mark Version)

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I assume it's 3.99....i7s run very very hot.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Yeah, that's what I was thinking....Cause 4.99GHZ seems like automatic suicide if you ask me.....

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Especially on i7s which run like 5-10C hotter than C2Qs nevermind C2Ds.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's Liquid Nitrogen till the chip cools as far as possible Nitrogen will take you then I switch to Liquid Helium to push the tempature down more, though I only get 90 minutes of benchmarking out of 50 litres of liquid helium and 4.99GHz is not a 24/7 thing what so ever, Phil likes to argue with me constantly about it saying it's not possible at all and outwardly calling me a liar, though I've reached 5.57 on stock voltage because the temepatures or so low, into the -210s , sorry if I offend people by telling the truth, not my fault if I managed something others haven't..

Also the thread is about my Athlon X2 4200+ box I managed to get it to 3.03GHz at 800 Mhz FSB though it just wen't stale idle and wouldn't even boot the bios until I shut it of and back on..

Going to try for 3.03Ghz again at possible as low as 200-400FSB and see how it performs, considering I'm changing the cooling back to stock air cooled for my Core i7 build I doubt my CPU Speed will be that high at all or on that high of a multiplier probably be back at the stock overclocked value of 3.45GHz..

I'm getting pretty tired of being on these forums when half the users start a war with me and cause me to speak in profanity just to defend myself..

If I end up not making any posts ever again, you'll know why..

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
....... though I've reached 5.57 on stock voltage because the temepatures or so low, into the -210s , sorry if I offend people by telling the truth, not my fault if I managed something others haven't.......
I imagine if I had access to LN2 and cared about ti I could get 6.0GHZ to 6.7GHZ like most of em......

Most of the users do with E8600 and E8500 on the Extreme Systems Forums......(That use LN2)......:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Naw, I''m happy with 4.5 - 4.7 GHZ maximum - more than I'll ever need.....:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ya know what I mean?????

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Yes you could get perhaps 6Ghz, but the chip would never be the same again...and you would knock some serious lifetime off it...and that for a measly hour of supersonic computing...it's just not a trade off people that actually have to worry about the price of components and possibly replacing them make.

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Eh.. tried that Strider..

Okie Dokie.. time for an update..

Lowered the HT Link to 400Mhz, the Ram to 667MHz and I managed to get 2.7GHz, wellat least I "thought" I did, here's the problem.. everything was stable I tried 3-4 games, tempature was good, it finished a ton of loops in Prime95, Benchmarked fine, then my final test was Dolphin, pretty much all the overclocking I've done so farr.. Dolphin has been my down fall, so I tried Super Mario Galaxy again.. yet again I get to the same scene I did before not to give it away but right when you Bowser lifts the castle off the ground and kidnaps everyone inside the castle including Princess Peach and it crashes, At this point I gave up on all Overclocking completely, reset back to CMOS/BiOS defaults and have stopped trying to Overclock this box, it seems the board does not have very good Overclocking options an the ASUS OC Profiles don't save properly or help, so I've decided to just leave it where it is at 2.2GHz stock values, I only saw a performance increase of 1-3FPS anyways and my benchmarks were only 500-600 points higher which is not worth overclocking it in my opinion, I'm thinking past 2.7GHz I would see a huge performance increase over the 2.5GHz unfortunately no matter what I do I can't get it past 2.4GHz with stability, no crashes and booting, and a 200MHz increase is not worth it in my opinion, I'm thinking of trying for 2.75GHz as a last test, if I can reach it there might be potential for 3.0Ghz-3.1GHz (very much doubt this will happen though)

*UPDATE*

Well , I hit 2.75GHz! :)

Here's the CPU-Z ID, I did have to lower the RAM to 667Mhz like Strider was saying )

PS: I'm wondering now if I should try for 3.0GHz, It isn't much higher then I already am at, but nothing has been crashing, looops have all finished and benchmarking has completed successfully, do you guys think I should go for 3.0GHz, not 24/7 of course but for some boosted performance?

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
The Voltages are set to Auto (Stock) , no change in voltage what so ever
This is incorrect. It's important to know what is really happening for the safety of your system.

Auto does not mean it's at stock or that there is no change. There is a change. Auto means the motherboard gives it what it thinks it will need to be stable, which is often a bit (bot not a huge bit) more than it needs. In other words, if you overclock it, the motherboard will automatically add voltage to try and keep it stable.

The VID at stock frequency is probably what is the real stock voltage (well, I think there's actually two VIDs, a higher and lower one, at least there is with Core 2 CPUs, so it's probably more of a small range than one set number).

·
Banned
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
hmmm.. didn't know that thought AUTO was STOCK which is 1.2V , thanks for the info Zedeck, Do you guys think I can reach 3.0GHz and still have complete stability or no?

Well.. I just answered my own question!

3GHz reached

RAM @ 400MHz
Bus @ 273Mhz x11
HTLink @ 200Mhz (says 1363Mhz, 200Mhz set in bios)
CPU Speed: 3000MHz (3.0GHz)

Well it was cool to push it this far, but unfortunately nothing runs, no games run, no benchmarks run, not even Dolphin emulator runs, so I wanna say a big thankyou to everyone that gave me advice about overclocking this box, I'm done overclocking for now, but have saved the profiles of when it ran the best and most stable, I'm going to shutdown and put the CMOS values back to defaults :) :) :)

A Mod can close this thread if he/she wants now :)

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Well, final stuff to change before you give up.... :D

Change the processor vCore to at least 1.4 ok? Don't go to 1.5, as it's kinda unsafe at that level. And if you BIOS have a setting for the northbridge voltage, increase it a little as well. :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts