Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'd be happy with 3.68 even with 3.6 which is what I have it at now. Just wondering what's causing Windows to crash at 3.6 at random times and what is causing Windows to not boot at 3.68.
Isn't it obvious? It's unstable (and yes, an unstable overclock can sometimes even make Windows corrupt or act odd, even if it's fine 99.9% of the time, as I believe this to be what's making my Windows XP partition act up).

It could be anything simple from lack of voltage or too much heat, to something complicated but in simplified terms simply being something put under too much stress (either the CPU or any part needed for a certain computation).

My first guess would be the obvious that was asked first, and that was voltage. What do you have your CPU voltage set to in the BIOS, and what is it being reported as (use any software, but the more results, the better)? The symptoms of it not booting and crashing when set a bit lower point to this, but if that's not it, then it's simply beyond it's limits, in simple terms, for whatever reason(s), and at that point, it's not practical at all, if possible, to overcome it.

· From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If I remember right, ~4.32GHz was the maximum I got on my E8400. I don't know if the CPU was at it's limits, as my RAM stopped me at that point. I can't remember the voltage (I think it was ~1.4V or so?) nor temperatures, but it was a C0 stepping CPU.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.