Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Trust No One
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! Long time no post. I'm still using the P5k I purchased 2 years ago and never had a problem with it. I'm using it till I can afford an I7 system. Anyway I'm trying to overclock my processor (specs in sig) I have it set to 3.6 at the moment and can't seem to get it any higher. But anyway system boots and all that but it crashes at random times. Any ideas? I'm still sort of new to overclocking.

Also the ram I'm using is this Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPQ - Desktop Memory

Any help would be appreciated! Also any ideas on why I can't get the system to post beyond 3.68 ghz? It'll post at that but Windows refuses to boot.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
adjusted the core volts at all?

·
Trust No One
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there, you mean the CPU and Ram volts? If so then yeah I tried adjusting those as well. The ram I have supports 2.0 and 2.1V according to the package. Also the timings on the package read as 5.6.6.18

·
Trust No One
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3.68GHz is pretty high as it is for that CPU. The almost 100% overclock is already alot as it is. You may just be at it's limits.
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'd be happy with 3.68 even with 3.6 which is what I have it at now. Just wondering what's causing Windows to crash at 3.6 at random times and what is causing Windows to not boot at 3.68.

And heat as well. The 65nm can take heat, but its still not healthy
I thought about that too. I have plenty of fans and such but I'll keep my eye on the temps.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'd be happy with 3.68 even with 3.6 which is what I have it at now. Just wondering what's causing Windows to crash at 3.6 at random times and what is causing Windows to not boot at 3.68.
Isn't it obvious? It's unstable (and yes, an unstable overclock can sometimes even make Windows corrupt or act odd, even if it's fine 99.9% of the time, as I believe this to be what's making my Windows XP partition act up).

It could be anything simple from lack of voltage or too much heat, to something complicated but in simplified terms simply being something put under too much stress (either the CPU or any part needed for a certain computation).

My first guess would be the obvious that was asked first, and that was voltage. What do you have your CPU voltage set to in the BIOS, and what is it being reported as (use any software, but the more results, the better)? The symptoms of it not booting and crashing when set a bit lower point to this, but if that's not it, then it's simply beyond it's limits, in simple terms, for whatever reason(s), and at that point, it's not practical at all, if possible, to overcome it.

·
Trust No One
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Isn't it obvious? It's unstable (and yes, an unstable overclock can sometimes even make Windows corrupt or act odd, even if it's fine 99.9% of the time, as I believe this to be what's making my Windows XP partition act up).

It could be anything simple from lack of voltage or too much heat, to something complicated but in simplified terms simply being something put under too much stress (either the CPU or any part needed for a certain computation).

My first guess would be the obvious that was asked first, and that was voltage. What do you have your CPU voltage set to in the BIOS, and what is it being reported as (use any software, but the more results, the better)? The symptoms of it not booting and crashing when set a bit lower point to this, but if that's not it, then it's simply beyond it's limits, in simple terms, for whatever reason(s), and at that point, it's not practical at all, if possible, to overcome it.
You're right, it was very unstable. The voltage I had it set to was 1.4750 then I upped it a little bit and had the same result. I have an Q8200 on the way it only has a 7x multiplier like my E6320. So I don't expect to get much out of it as far as overclocking goes. Also it was the only Intel Quad I could afford.

Wow I see you have your Core 2 clocked at 4.50 that's amazing!

·
Registered
147 Posts
You're right, it was very unstable. The voltage I had it set to was 1.4750 then I upped it a little bit and had the same result. I have an Q8200 on the way it only has a 7x multiplier like my E6320. So I don't expect to get much out of it as far as overclocking goes. Also it was the only Intel Quad I could afford.

Wow I see you have your Core 2 clocked at 4.50 that's amazing!
yeah thats quite interesting as well zedeck one quick question
zedeck what was your stock clock with that processor just curiouse

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If I remember right, ~4.32GHz was the maximum I got on my E8400. I don't know if the CPU was at it's limits, as my RAM stopped me at that point. I can't remember the voltage (I think it was ~1.4V or so?) nor temperatures, but it was a C0 stepping CPU.

·
The 7th Key
510 Posts
I wouldn't go anywhere further than 3.6-3.8GHz with that chip. The P5K IIRC has only one 4pin CPU connector, which cannot supply enough power to the PWM. Overclocking your quad on that board may cause the connector to melt, literally. But that aside, if you really want to go further, you'll have to find the bottleneck. This means setting your CPU multiplier a bit lower, then increasing the multiplier of your RAM. Increase in increments and test for stability until the RAM finally gives in. Repeat for your mobo's HT Link/FSB. Then raise your CPU's multi to max and adjust frequency accordingly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.