Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any develpoers working on fixing the aspect ratios for GC games. Is it even possible to change a 4:3 picture ratio to 16:9 without stretching it? They do it with movies right?

·
TEKKEN LORD
1,287 Posts
I don't believe any emulator did it , the aspects ratio is game dependent and not Emu dependent (correct me if I'm wrong here) .
and videos are by default 16/9.

·
Mr. Two-Jay
272 Posts
I don't believe any emulator did it , the aspects ratio is game dependent and not Emu dependent (correct me if I'm wrong here) .
and videos are by default 16/9.

I think you may be wrong, Maybe. I know that the Dreamcast emulator "NullDC" has the ability to use "Extra geometry". Which can make a 4:3 game 16:9, or 80:9 :p

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
There has to be image-information, or data, outside the sides of the 4:3 scope to be able to make it 16:9, otherwise it is either stretching or cropping the picture - and neither are nice.

As to an emulator i don't know if the game even renders more than is seen on the original image-output - but i seriously doubt it because what would be the point, wasting resources?.

·
Mr. Two-Jay
272 Posts
There has to be image-information, or data, outside the sides of the 4:3 scope to be able to make it 16:9, otherwise it is either stretching or cropping the picture - and neither are nice.

As to an emulator i don't know if the game even renders more than is seen on the original image-output - but i seriously doubt it because what would be the point, wasting resources?.
Well if you think about it, almost all games that use widescreen are just using a modified 4:3 FOV. So it seems pretty possible and can be done on all dreamcast games.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Well if you think about it, almost all games that use widescreen are just using a modified 4:3 FOV. So it seems pretty possible and can be done on all dreamcast games.
Wll, i suppose, if the game is 3d-based and depending on how they have coded the game. It would have to be based of some sort of "camera"-actor (based on the player-viewpoint) being able to zoom or move around the 3D-area.
But if the game has a fixed view at 4:3 already - and is made to render just that space and nothing else - i would find it to be quite hard.

·
Mr. Two-Jay
272 Posts
Wll, i suppose, if the game is 3d-based and depending on how they have coded the game. It would have to be based of some sort of "camera"-actor (based on the player-viewpoint) being able to zoom or move around the 3D-area.
But if the game has a fixed view at 4:3 already - and is made to render just that space and nothing else - i would find it to be quite hard.
Well you can notice this in sonic adventure. If you run it in 16:9 Assets such as Rings, enemies, items will disappear outside the 4:3 screen area. This does not seem to affect games such as Shenmue, Crazy Taxi, etc. I'm sure there are more games that it happens to though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope it can be done like in NullDC. 4:3 is too old school these days

1 - 9 of 9 Posts