Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent 40 quid and 2 hours trying to get final fantasy 9 [PAL] on my computer

Ive tried VGS 1.41 Bleem 1.5b and ePSXe all keep coming up with the same thing. A black screen whilst my CD drive goes crazy.

Ive tried basically all the patches I can lay my hands on. Atm im converting Disc 1 to a .bin file so i can try and figure out how to apply a PPF file which i got from www.aldostools.com/patches.html

I seriously doubt this will work either tho.

I know peeps have FF9 workin on their comps, cos these forums are littered with questions about it. So if anyone does have it workin could pls tell me what u using??!!

Do i need to change plugins and stuff? Does it matter if my CD rom cant read RAW sectors? -whatever that means

Whats the difference from makin .bin and .isos files? Cos it seems Daemon Tools can only "mount" the .isos ones

Phew :O

Feedback will be very much appreciated!

/me bets this wil go down as a 0 replies 100 views thread :|

·
Registered
22 Posts
An iso is always the same, whichever program you use to make it. The difference between programs is the file that contains some infos for writing the iso (.cue file with cdrwin, .ccd file with clonecd, etc...). You can change the extension of the iso file, that is not important for epsxe if you choose the "run iso" option, but it is important to keep the original extension if you want to write the iso on a cd with the program used to make the iso.

You don't need to use daemon tools to use an iso in ePSXe, there is the "run iso" option.

Which PAL version have you ?
English, French, German, ... ?
If you are sure you have patch the iso file with the good patch, then your problem is epsxe settings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info pharmboy, I actucally got FF9 [PAL -UK] to work with Holigans PPF patch. The Cutscenes work and everything. Ive plaeyd it for about an hour now, then dad came in and switched computer off. Typical. Have to do all that over again.. anyways...

I cant see battle menu ... er help? :)

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Turn off frameskipping. You can also apply the patch on the fly with Pete's cd plug-in so that way you don't have to make isos for it and/or burn them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks gerbil and everyone- cos ive got it workin superbly now :D

Erm... before i get too excited are there any other FF9 problems that people have? Or is it smooth running from here on?!

This forum r0x :)

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Well, some movies in a couple of locations wont play (black screen) if you loaded a savestate right before. To counter this problem, always keep regular saves! If you encounter this, restart ePSXe and load a regular save. Do not use savestate until you pass that part! Happy hunting! :)

·
2,412 Posts
Instead of being restricted in a game to saving to a memcard only when the game allows you to, you can save almost anywhere you want (I believe saving mid an MDEC isn't recommended), like mid-battle, mid-race, whatever. You can then load the state any time you want. Helps when you're doing something tricky, like if you mess up, you'd normally have to do it all over again. But w/the savestate, if you mess up, you can go back to when you were doing well. Press F1 to save, F2 to pick from up to 5 slots, F3 to load a state! :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also recently bought FF9 PAL (UK), and also got it to work - with one exception. No matter what sound plugin I use (iori's, andy's, pete's) most mdecs have stutters in them. I'd use epsxe's internal sound for that, except that it's not the prettiest in battles/the overworld...

Anyone encountered the same problem before? Any cures? Would be nice...

--Fritti

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I know its not impossible to get decent sound during FMVs cos I get em. I was using Null SPU (?) then i found that i got a tone after battles that wouldnt go away until that prticular pitch changed... or summfink.

Anyways Im now using Petes SPU 1.11 which doesnt seem to have any problems :)

RIP Blank

How could anyone change Garnets name to dagger! Argh, I prefer to keep the default names but dagger is sooo bad. :|

Changed mine to Kitana te hee :)

·
2,412 Posts
Heh, storyline-wise, as soon as Garnet didn't need to be in disguise, I went straight to the "Namingway" guy and changed it back to Garnet. :p I always change someone (FF7 - Cid to Capt.Cid, FF9 - Freya to Freiya, FF8 - Quezacotl to Qetzacoatl, Ifrit to Infrit, Siren to Syren, Tonberry to Toynberry).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Whats the best sound driver to use for final fantasy?

Atm im using the epsxe core one, which is ok :)

Which ones are you guys using?

I played FF9 for about 7 hours today, neglecting college work - b0ll0x

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Actucally I just downloaded Iori's sound driver 1.4 and as far i can tell so far (only having watched the intro on cd1 and heard the menu bleeps) its pretty darned amazing. You dont realise how much sound quality ur missing out on until u hear something so much better :)

I just hope it works throughout the game :X

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not really a problem this one, more of a minor irritation..

Is it normal to have a black screen for about 2 seconds before every battle takes place? Cos i get that everytime, just seems like i spend alot of time looking at this black screen

Is there a plugin/ patch to get rid of this?

·
2,412 Posts
Before a battle there is a swirly animation. If you don't see it, there's a setting to activate it, but it may slow down the emulation. I didn't see which GPU you were using, but mess around with it's Off Screen Drawing setting.

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts
I think enabling Full vram primitives will show the swirly thing but will really slow down the game if your system isn't up to specs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts