Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i just want to know if anyone here knows kung fu or other styles like tai chi,i would love to take classes in the future since i have watched some great action kungfu style movies like watching zhang ziyi in crouching tiger hidden dragon:).Also would you rather be taught by a guy or women?

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Heh, kung fu isn't really a style. It's a generic word for martial arts :p. Anyway, they interest me, but I have yet to see any decent classes in my area. Most of what I know about it I've learned online. From what I've seen though, most classes concentrate on training your body only. Martial arts is supposed to be the body and mind together :/.

·
Registered
833 Posts
If i ever had the chance i would wanna learn Drunken fighting or Snake Fist Style. LoL i have been watching too many martial art movies that my brother has been buying. If you ever get chance watch Snake in Eagles Shadow and Drunken Master. Also if you really wanna learn dont just b/c you watch fighting movies. It takes alot of effort.
If i was ever gonna learn how to fight i wouldn't care if it was man or woman since i would never surpass them in fighting skills. But i would like to be taught by someone with patience.

·
PCSX2ベータテスター
1,457 Posts
kungfu is actually a chinese style of martial arts i think. I took skorei ryu karate and got my yellow belt before i rean out of money and couldn't take lessons anymore

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i want to learn it so i can easily defend myself against multiple attackers:).

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Kung Fu actuaily means skill at doing something, the term can be used in anything from building and cooking to fighting, someone must've overheard some martial artist somewhere or hollywood mistranslated kung fu into martial arts and the term stuck

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
Seta-San said:
kungfu is actually a chinese style of martial arts i think. I took skorei ryu karate and got my yellow belt before i rean out of money and couldn't take lessons anymore
Kungfu is not a martial art it just means skill, it could be a mistranslated line from a old movie that shoud go like "let's test my skills" but instead went "let's test my kung fu"

Chinese martial arts come in 2 distince styles Wushu which would translate to "War techneqs" and Tai Chi which would roughly translate to "channeling chi" Wushu would focus on causing damage to your opponents directly with sheer strength with or without weapons while Tai Chi focuses on defence where you use a little force to stop a large one and channeling chi so that you can resist more damage

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
dukenukem said:
i want to learn it so i can easily defend myself against multiple attackers:).

then learn to fight/self defense. not a martial art like karate...too rigid for street fighting IMH(uneducated)O.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
I myself have a black belt in Shotokan karate.
The problem with the martial arts is that there are lots of Mcdojos outhere.
If you want to learn proper selfdefense find a shorin ryu karate school. The japanese styles of karate just focus on competition and therefore they lack proper application of katas or forms. Done correctly the applications seem like jujitsu/judo moves.
Other than that, learn some jujitsu as it will help you greatly in the development of grappling/locks skills.

It won't matter if its a woman or a man who is teaching you but what they have to offer. The just give guidance and show you proper technique. It's a myth that you will never surpase your master (you are training 5 days per week, 2 or 3 hours at day while the instructor is only teaching at that time. Remember, the fighting skills need repetition and constant training, it's not like you will be able to perform properly once you have learnt how to do the movement but you don't execute it again until 2/3 months later).

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
I'm training Jeet Kune Do with a friend. It's a martial that teachs you to fight. As Kazuya has said, most martial arts teach you to fight within the rules of their competitions, so their ways to defend and attack are very limited. Jeet Kune Do is aimed to give you proper defense in a street fight - that's why it's one of the few martial arts that teaches you attacks to vital points :D .

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
You are right, but these guys would go mad on you if they saw you writing it without the "e" ;) . And it would hurt, probably oO

·
PS2 PAL[v9], PS3Slim PAL
5,370 Posts
Naaah... I don't think so, they'd probably try to explain him that he should write it with 'e' and if he tried to denay then he'd probably get smashed ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
dukenukem, maybe my expression is wrong, forgive me, that's because i'm not good at English.
As a Chinese people, I have to inform you that the "Kong Fu" you saw in movies are not truely the real "gongfu"(that's the pronouniation in Chinese) in our country. Zhang zhiyi is totally an artress, she has no quality of real "gongfu"(let me use this expression). Basically the style you people see out of China are no longer the original thing. They've been changed to suit you. And Tai chi("tai ji" in China) is the "copyright" of the old now in my country.

·
Banned
177 Posts
3rd degree black belt taekwondo here. If you are in MA for kicking arse...then go take a self-defense style class. I served in the IDF for years and during my stay I practice many forms of self-defense used by the military and that practice actually helped me defend myself better in street fights than the taekwondo. You might ask "why in the heck did you take years out of your life then to train ?" well I had a personal problem with concentration in general so i made it a goal of mine to become better. MA is for studying..an art..a reflection of one's inner self. To not have to fight is truely the greatest MA of them all. To win ones honor and respect without having to slap them around. Championships are where MA's show each other what they have learned and test their skills. ITs not a "im a better ma and can kick your arse" type situation. The shere concentration associated with highend MA takes a person to a new level of meditation and not a new level of arogance.

**oh and btw the movies like crouching tiger hidden dragon are just that..movies**

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
You don't need to learn any fightning styles or anything... just train your muscles :D Skinny people kicking buff people's arses only happen in movies :( (unless it's a sneak attack)
Just remembered something... it helps to train pain resistance. Some people get hurt too easily :lol: (learned that through playing bloody knuckles) although it probably won't help much in a real fight...

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have been a student at The Hua-Long Wushu Academy under 32nd Generation Shaolin monk: Li long Fei for three years. I was studying the art of Seven Star Mantis and Contemporary Wushu. I did Kokusai Jiu jitsu and Genbokan Ninpo when i was in high school. Kung Fu is the most beautiful and graceful martial art you are likely to find anywhere.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts