Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been thinking about stop watching anime altogether recently. I been only keeping up with one anime recently and its gotten really boring. I tried to go back other shows i watched and other shows people have recommended and found no interest. I think i finally am growing up and wonder if anyone else same experience. This is no way to put down others who still watch it because i got into anime because it could show more fantasy orientated stuff that live action shows couldnt do.

Here's what i think about anime in positive and negative way.
Positive:
* Certain things still can only be done in animation form.
* Funny
* Good fight scenes

Negative:
* Ecchi
* Fan based
* Hard to watch with people because its really kiddie.

I want peoples responses. Good or Bad, give your response. Or give you experience that either why you stopped watching anime.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
I never stopped. I just found less titles interesting as time passed. Maybe I grew up. Or maybe there really is less interesting animes out. It took a long time before I liked watching something since I up from Kenshin. Hm... actually, I don't have an anime I can't bear to miss right now. Not even Naruto. But it's funny how I got hooked on Ippo :lol: And I'm planning on taking a peek at Cowboy Bebop. Saiyuki Gunlock here and there just to know how it ends... but otherwise, nothing I'd love to watch over and over... Kenshin vs. Saito being the probable exception :)

I see it as an art form. If people can do live action, why not drawn? Doesn't really matter. It especially becomes more apparent when you watch much more "serious" (note, not realistic) anime. Princess Mononoke and the Animatrix(the history part) come to mind.

I just want to comment on your negatives:

1. Ecchi - Depends on what you're watching. But you have to remember, anime is by Japanese. For them, the level of ecchi in mainstream anime is more or less acceptable.

2. Fan based - So is everything else ;)

3. Hard to watch - That's so true. But it's like comics and video games. With less and less baby boomers around, Generation X is starting to take over. Standards change. It would've been something to be ashamed of if your dad or mom played video games for GenXers. But today, I know dads/moms who play video games. Sandman ultimately broke the "comics are for kiddies" stereotype for mainstream acceptance. It's just time.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I'm not,loving bleach,naruto.

·
Registered
9 Posts
There are Anime and anime, you know...
Nice ones are (IMHO) Evangelion, GunGrave, Last Exile, Vampire Hunter D.
Total trash: Pokemon, SailorMoon, KareKano, and so on... :)

·
Registered
416 Posts
o_0''' sailor moon isnt totally trash. >_<# *stompstompstompstomp*

yeah it is kitschy and annoying (hey, isnt that normal for magical girl magas?) xD
but dont you think, it would be really ...amazing... if generally boys in your age would love shojo-magas?!! yes of course thats not your genre, but that do not means sailor moon is totally trash T-T ... most of the otakus wouldnt know animes so early without sailor moon (at least in germany ^^'')

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Tired of kiddy anime/mainstream anime that is just hyped and hyped everywhere? YES!!! (except Evangelion. first anime show i watched and still one of best. But its not really mainstream anime anyway, just hyped.)

Tired of anime overall? Definetly NO! Anime has still much to give and their stories still keep me going.

However, as time has passed, i have become more and more picky and critical what anime i watch. I want perfection (not 100%, but if there is something big i do not like, it might ruin whole show IMO)

* Certain things still can only be done in animation form.
Agreed. Watch splatter anime. Even though its drawn, it still has a feeling of "real". Most old splatters look so plastic that it doesnt make you feel icky no matter how much gore.

Depends. I like more lovedrama and other tragedies in middle of hopeless fight for survival and such. Im not that much into japanese humor, even though i can understand enough a of it.

* Good fight scenes
YES!!! More action no matter what type of anime. And if possible, (semi)REALISTIC action. No KAGEFAMARYUTSU-LASERBEAM-P0WNZJ00 attacks in "history series" a'la rurouni kenshin TV serie... ugh... If i want magic attacks, i want it to be 100% fantasy. These types of things are one major point that turns me away from otherwise good serie. Kenshin OVA1 was totally awesome though.

* Ecchi
* Fan based
Agreed mostly. Though anime fanbase is not bad thing, once animefranchise starts riding on its fanbase at the cost of quality, im starting to worry. Kiddie is mostly a point of view though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Popuri said:
o_0''' sailor moon isnt totally trash. >_<# *stompstompstompstomp*

yeah it is kitschy and annoying (hey, isnt that normal for magical girl magas?) xD
but dont you think, it would be really ...amazing... if generally boys in your age would love shojo-magas?!! yes of course thats not your genre, but that do not means sailor moon is totally trash T-T ... most of the otakus wouldnt know animes so early without sailor moon (at least in germany ^^'')
Maybe, SailorMoon could be a thing to start on with anime, but if you look at this more critically, you'll see that there's no any kind of storyline, everything's built on the same scheme (though, I have to say that music in SaiorMoon is really amazing :yawn: )

·
Registered
907 Posts
DISAGREED
read Deathnote it rocks :D
or GANTZ thats not childish Anime! Or Kenshin OVA ETC:::
just when i was a "bit" tired i discoverd Deathnote which is freakin cool and FANCY . Also One Piece is looking Promising there is soo much good anime.. u just havn´t disvoverd it yet THATS the right Opinion IMO :)
^^
wbr Shin Gouki

·
Ocean Soul
1,420 Posts
I agree, MOST of anime is very kiddie. I would call my self a anime fan if they would deal with it in a much more mature way. No more sweat drops above the head. No more some stupid girl fell and her legs went straigh in the air. I don't care if they do it in something like fooly cooly, just because that was werid and it's a "WTF!?" type of thing.

·
Registered
323 Posts
If anime is kiddie depends of the kind of anime you watch. I am really tired of the magical girls and series like dragon ball (I love it, but after Z, I really get a little tired), pokemon or others where the principal plot it’s always the same and it’s 100% predictable.

Now I like more series like Record of Lodoss war, Cowboy beebop or Monster that are more adult and have nice argument.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Ah, Monster is a good one. I already read the manga for it though, and the anime is too similar to bother with. Right now I'm hooked on the most recent work of Monster's mangaka, 20th Century Boys.

INCA, if you are having trouble finding good anime to watch, then maybe anime really isn't for you. There are so many good animes out there that you couldn't watch them all in a lifetime. It's true that a lot of the good animes get buried under the 90% of anime that is trash, but there should still be enough to keep anyone who truely enjoys anime interested. If you really can't find anything you want to watch, you either haven't been looking at the right animes, or maybe you are just too burnt out on watching it right now. Maybe if you took an extended break for anime you might enjoy coming back to it later.

·
Classic Games Lover
5,280 Posts
Just like movies, different animes are addressed to different people. Sailor Moon, which is mentioned here as a trash has been created for little girls, not for growing up boys or adults. As I recall Popuri, you're 18 and I find it fully understandable if it doesn't hit your taste. From a different point of view someone who doesn't like cyberpunk might say that "GITS is a trash". I like it, but if he/she doesn't then so be it, I'll watch it anyway BECAUSE I've got my own opinion that's not built on opinions of other people. I mean no offence to you, Popuri. I just want to say that some people build their own opinion about a movie/anime/game/etc. not even having watched it, but on the opinions of other people from their circle. Somebody likes Powerpuff Girls? Fine, be my guest ;)

As for myself I like watching animes and I'm rather not getting tired from them (I'm 25 now). What is wrong with ecchi, INCA? As for other objections: everything os more or less fan based. What of emulation? It is fan based too, but is it wrong? I've also never found it hard to watch it with other people nor thought that it's kiddie to watch animes with them. You can treat anime just like a common movie :D

·
Registered
833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well i think i decided not to give up on anime but take a long vacation from it. Since going to CSU Bakersfield this fall semester im taking break from it. I will probably catch up on it each summer or so.
I guess i shouldve explained kiddie more throughly. What i meant was its hard to explain to girls that i go out with or friends i know that anime isnt cartoon to me but more different entertainment. I see anime way different than videogames and computer interest way different. Like being videogamer is completely acceptable these days because pretty much any guy plays sport games or fighting games. As for Computer interest i just say its for my major and that it.
I guess im not totally over anime b/c i still like watching Cowboy Bebop (pretty hard to give up since i spent arm and leg to the series) I seen animes like Evangelion, Trigun, and whole bunch to know they arent so kiddie.

I want to thank everyone to giving your opinions.

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Give up on anime? Heh, there are still tons for me to see yet :p

And anime is far from kiddish IMO. Witch Hunter Robin and Kenshin OVAs are a few examples to give, heh. ( And ofcourse, hentai is IMO the disgrace of anime. :rolleyes: )

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It's not that I'm tired of anime at the moment; it's just that there are few good series available right now. I like anime that is unique or different. I'll pass on the mecha/ecchi/action animes anytime because they are a dime-a-dozen. There will always be another Gundam, but there won't ever be another Cowboy Bebop, Last Exile, Stand Alone Complex, Evangelion, etc.

·
Heretic
2,766 Posts
Recently a lot of anime has been boring for me. It seems the talking outweighs the interesting action... like the dreaded .hack//sign...

"Where is the key of the twilight?"X1000000

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Well... as many have mentioned anime is not necessarely kiddie, echii, heck not all anime is mainstream or even have a fanbase. If you want something serious, watch any of Abe Yoshi-toshi work (like serial experiments lain or haibane renmei), or, as someone mentined earlied, something from Monster's mangaka, (I concur in 20th century boys being super-b)

Although I have to accept that each season I'm liking less and less shows (I'm turning now onto the older series... I have been watching recently Kino no Tabi (well it is'nt that old actually...) and Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

If you want something mature from this season you could try Zettai Shonen (the only season's series that actually makes me crave for more :p)

but there won't ever be another Cowboy Bebop, Last Exile, Stand Alone Complex, Evangelion, etc.
I would almost agree with that list if it weren't for Last Exile... THAT was the show that made me completely lose faith on Gonzo... well they are starting to regain it with Trinity Blood but still....

1 - 20 of 94 Posts